Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

View Poll Results: Did Bonds Do Steroids
YES 11 84.62%
NO 2 15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-26-2006, 10:55 PM   #1
carter08
Mr. Tambourine Man

carter08 is on a distinguished road
Default Barry Bonds: The Truth

Article I wrote about Bonds

I wanted to write a book about Barry Bonds, but Game of Shadows did that for me. Everyone knows Barry Bonds is on Steroids. Well, Barry doesn’t. People need proof. And they want proof. So, voila, here comes proof.
Barry used to be a Pirate. Skinny kid. Knew how to run. Good fielder. In 90 something, he went to the Giants. HR’s and steroids are connected. Remember that. It’s a major theme of this article. Before 2001, Barry had one 3 HR for the Giants, on August 2, 1994. He was still a skinny, fast kid back then. He had three 3 HR games from 2001-2002. Coincidence. NO. Steroids. YES. Barry hit 46 HR’s in 1993, eight years later he hit 73. How does someone get better when they get older? His last gold glove was in 1998. After that, he got bigger, got slower, his fielding ability plummeted, yet he somehow hit better. When Barry hit 73, that was a 24 Homer improvement over the previous year. But, he was getting older.
You’re probably thinking, there hasn’t been any proof. You’re just reciting facts Carter. Give us some evidence. Well, I can’t give anyone evidence. Only Barry can give us evidence. You’re right. Only Barry can really tell us what he did. But hey, MLB is looking for any reason to put the * by his name. They already missed a chance to keep him behind Ruth. Something has to be done before he passed Hank Aaron.
756*. That’s what the record book will look like one day. Barry’s going to pass Aaron, and then retire. There will be a new undetectable steroid, Barry will take it, break the record, and be gone. We won’t see him until Pujols beats him. And that is something we can cheer about.
Peace Out. If you read this far, thank you. If you skipped to the end, oh well. Barry Bonds is a cheat, and nothing I said made you feel any different. I was just bored and felt like writing something.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:39 AM   #2
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

I honestly feel deep down that he has taken steroids, but for some strange reason I really wish I could root for this guy for what he is doing right now. It really is a shame that the steroids issue has completely clouded his accomplishments. Forget that he is a jerk (to the media, teammates, and in some instances, fans). If it weren't for the steroids, IMO we would be praising his accomplishments. But then, if it weren't for steroids, would he have been put in this position to become 2nd on the home runs list with a chance to break the record? The answer, IMO, is no....
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 06:55 PM   #3
LA sports
I love LA!

LA sports is on a distinguished road

It cracks me up how some people need 100% proof. I don't need proof, it is called common sense. Good post carter, and like suedon said deep down I know and I think most people know that have any common sense that he took steroids. He may pass Aaron but he will always be remembered as a cheater not a HR champion. It's funny, I just watched him pass Ruth and you would think his teammates would have mobbed him at home plate but all he got was a couple hugs and a few high fives. He is a slimball and even his teammates know it even though in the media they try to be politically correct and not bad mouth him. I wish Griffey Jr. did not have such an injury riddled career or else we could be cheering him on to break the HR record instead of a guy who is staining the game and does not even care. Also like carter said we can hope that the classy Pujols keeps on going to break the single season record to erase that stain and then have a great career to erase another. I think the true baseball fans will know who the true HR champions are no matter what is in the record books and they don't go by the names Bonds or McGwire. IMO.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:21 AM   #4
Chawla
me > u

Chawla is on a distinguished road

I think that it is total bull**** that people assume someone takes steroids (which is fine, they are allowed their own opinions), but then say that he DID take steroids. Everyone in this country is innocent until proven guilty, and he has yet to be proven guilty. You don't have to like Barry Bonds, but give him enough respect to not accuse him of things like that without proof, at least wait until the investigation or something is over.
Chawla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 01:37 AM   #5
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to the boards, Chawla...

I'm with you on that. I have my doubts he's innocent but until they come up with something concrete, I'll hold off building the gallows...
Old 05-29-2006, 01:56 AM   #6
LA sports
I love LA!

LA sports is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chawla
I think that it is total bull**** that people assume someone takes steroids (which is fine, they are allowed their own opinions), but then say that he DID take steroids. Everyone in this country is innocent until proven guilty, and he has yet to be proven guilty. You don't have to like Barry Bonds, but give him enough respect to not accuse him of things like that without proof, at least wait until the investigation or something is over.
Like I said, the proof is common sense. I don't need an investigation to tell me the obvious. It probably won't ever be completely proven and the record books will show Bonds as the leader, my point is that to the knowledgable baseball fan it won't mean diddly squat. Oh, welcome to the boards Chawla.

Last edited by LA sports; 05-29-2006 at 02:03 AM.
LA sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 02:22 AM   #7
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

How about the guy today who caught the homerun ball that passed Ruth? This moron is goin' to the concession stand to get a few dogs for his wife and the ball "finds" him. Love or hate Bonds, who the hell is goin' to the concession stand when Bonds is due up to bat? It's like goin' to a football game and sayin' "f it" by walkin' out as the kicker is about to try a last second FG for the win.

It's also like the guy who is 95 years old and rich that wins the lottery because playing is "fun."

People crack me up.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 03:22 AM   #8
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Barry Bonds is one of the most polarizing athletes in the history of the world. There is very little middle ground. Either you like him or you do not. Those who like him are less inclined to believe that he used "banned" substances, knowingly.
I did like the guy that caught the ball today. What a time to go for a hotdog.
I'd also like to extend my welcome to Chawla. I hope you post here often and enjoy doing so.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 05:10 PM   #9
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus
I have my doubts he's innocent but until they come up with something concrete, I'll hold off building the gallows...
It's my understanding that "something concrete" was Game of Shadows and whatever that ESPN book was that said pretty much the same thing. I've only read excerpts, but everything I've heard and read seems to indicate that the proof is there. It's telling, too, that Bonds has yet to refute the charges in the books or to take legal action against the authors in the form of a libel case.
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 06:18 PM   #10
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad O.
It's telling, too, that Bonds has yet to refute the charges in the books or to take legal action against the authors in the form of a libel case.
A lot of people tend to think that it is telling that he hasn't brought a libel case, it really isn't though.

Libel isn't exactly something easy to prove. You have to first prove the material is false and second you have to prove that the party you are suing knew the material was false. There are a lot of First Amendment protections that come into play here. Libel cases are particularly long and without particularly good pay-off. Although a book company would be better than a newspaper in terms of a settlement (but, the flip side to that coin is that book publishers can put forth the coin for a better defense). So, Bonds could sit on this case for several years and if he wins, no one is going to care, he'll just get some cash. Bonds could also lose his libel case even if the material the book is based on is found to be false.

It's just not easy for Bonds to win a libel case even if he hasn't touched a steroid in his life.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 06:25 PM   #11
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad O.
It's my understanding that "something concrete" was Game of Shadows and whatever that ESPN book was that said pretty much the same thing. I've only read excerpts, but everything I've heard and read seems to indicate that the proof is there. It's telling, too, that Bonds has yet to refute the charges in the books or to take legal action against the authors in the form of a libel case.
Aaahhh, my favorite poster...

Regardless of reports, excerpts, books, etc., all which I haven't researched to this point, what I consider concrete is more than just testimony of Bonds claims of not knowingly using steroids in the form of a cream or ointment. What I'm waitin' on is MLB coming to the point of charging & punishing Bonds with all the proof they've uncovered. Besides it bein' their job to ferret out the truth, I'm just a bit busy to take on a Woodward/Bernstein investigation...

Until then, probably cuz of the years of reading skewed & not complete truths thru the years, I'll choose to go by what is the norm in my view: While I'm admittedly doubtful, innocent until proven guilty...

If some want a kangaroo court to expidite the subject to a close, more power to 'em. I'll just sit back & wait...I'm not goin' anywhere...
Old 05-30-2006, 01:35 AM   #12
Spikedmace
All-Star Player

Spikedmace is on a distinguished road

I totally agree that it's common sense. Just open your eyes and look at the guy. His head is a watermelon, he's gained massive weight overall, his trainer is involved with Balco, his homerun explosion, nearly 300 sources from the "Game of Shadows" book said he did some type of enhancement (are all these people lying?), his knee injuries... we can go on.

The proof is that HE DID TAKE STEROIDS! But he claims that it was unknowingly. Regardless if it was knowingly or not, HE TOOK STEROIDS!

If someone said "smoke this joint, your guess is as good as mine on what's in it". Ok so I smoke it. Then it was later found out that there was marijuana. Knowingly or not, I did smoke marijuana.

I don't believe there should be an asterisk though on his homerun totals. But when this investigation is all said and done, they should deny Barry Bonds into the HOF.
Spikedmace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 02:15 AM   #13
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikedmace
I totally agree that it's common sense. Just open your eyes and look at the guy. His head is a watermelon, he's gained massive weight overall, his trainer is involved with Balco, his homerun explosion, nearly 300 sources from the "Game of Shadows" book said he did some type of enhancement (are all these people lying?), his knee injuries... we can go on.
Therein lies the doubt. No matter how much I have, whether it's a 100% commen sense feel or less, I just choose to wait on MLB, who have all the "book knowledge" as we speak, to do something, which they have not to date. So cuz I won't jump on the "Hang Bonds" bandwagon, I have no common sense & am blind?? Hmmmm, interesting....

Quote:
The proof is that HE DID TAKE STEROIDS! But he claims that it was unknowingly. Regardless if it was knowingly or not, HE TOOK STEROIDS!
Easy there or by yelling are you implying I have a hearing problem too??

Actually, let's just say, for debate sake, that it was unknowingly, would it strike you as the same as knowingly? Would the feeling be the same?? Just curious since steroids are the 1st & only smudge on a game that is the bastion of truth, justice & the American way...

Quote:
If someone said "smoke this joint, your guess is as good as mine on what's in it". Ok so I smoke it. Then it was later found out that there was marijuana. Knowingly or not, I did smoke marijuana.
& if you were caught in that position yourself, would you expect & agree that the punishment should be the same as someone who knowingly went out of their way to procure the marijuana? That I wouldn't buy. I'm sure you would be pointing out the difference & pleading for a lesser sentence...

Quote:
I don't believe there should be an asterisk though on his homerun totals. But when this investigation is all said and done, they should deny Barry Bonds into the HOF.
& that's what I patiently wait for...when MLB's investigation "is all said & done". I'm just keeping my inner thoughts under wraps till the powers-that-be speak their peace on their findings. If that prompts you to say I have no common sense & am blind...well, I'll keep my inner thoughts on your opinion under wraps also for the good of the thread...
Old 05-30-2006, 06:11 PM   #14
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

innocent until proven guilty

There is no proof. Was he involved with Balco? Yes. Did he grow a lot. Yes?

But just because some people around him were involved in steroids doesn't mean he used them.

People grow. You can work out, your metabolism can change, or you can just eat more. It happens.

I am not saying that there is no chance he took steroids. But for now, I have no reason to believe he has.

Give me proof or give me... death?
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 06:30 PM   #15
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Hope I don't offend anyone... but with all our Bonds talks I always wanted to say "anyone who thinks he never took steriods is a moron"... but I'll change that.. "anyone who thinks he never took steriods is uneducated about steriods".
I may not like Bonds because of what he did, but I do believe in "innocent until proven guilty" (here's the important part) when it comes to punishing someone.
So, yes he did use steriods, no we have not proved it yet. So we cannot punish him until we have the proof. But we all know what really happened.
Huh, reminds me of OJ... LOL