Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

View Poll Results: Who will win the Championship
Mavericks 4 26.67%
Heat 11 73.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-04-2006, 01:31 AM   #1
Clipps
The Clipper Fan

Clipps is on a distinguished road
Default The NBA Finals: Dallas Mavericks vs. Miami Heat

This is going to be an exciting series. I see the Heat winning this one in 6 games.
*****pass me the bottle and fill the glass up
Clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 01:44 AM   #2
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Wow, I'm surprised to see it's 5-0 for Miami. A lot of media guys have Dallas winning.

That being said, I'm going with Miami. Who the hell on Dallas can defend Shaq? The Mavericks have gone up against Memphis, San Antonio and Phoenix. Those teams have little to no interior presence (a 80% Duncan being somewhat of a presence). If Ben Wallace let Shaq shoot 60% and score 20+, the Big Whatever should go off on Diop/Dampier. Small ball isn't going to work well against the Heat, who have the size (Shaq, Walker, Posey) and speed (Wade) to match up. Plus Miami is clickin' at the right time. And they have a decent coach......

Howard is going to be extra important in this series for Dallas. But I see Miami in 6.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 02:04 AM   #3
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Miami in 6. If they minimize Howard & control the glass, make it in 5. Of course if they lose their edge & it goes 7, the Mavs should prevail.

It's all about who loses that rythm in the break before game 1 IMO. Miami needs to steal 1 of the first 2 in this stupid 2-3-2 format. Boards, keep the TOs down & Walker not imploding & Miami should be celebrating...
Old 06-05-2006, 06:09 PM   #4
JChitwood
Grizzled Veteran

JChitwood is on a distinguished road

Mavs in 7.

Sure, Shaq will put up 20+ and 10, but the Mavs have some big bodies in Dampier and Diop to throw against him. The Mbenga suspension hurts a bit, that 6 fewer fould form a big man against Shaq. However, I have been impressed with Diop's defense and rebounding in the playoffs. Granted he hasn't guarded anyone of Shaq'a size, but he held his own against a much quicker Duncan in the Spurs series. If the Mavs can contain Wade, I don't think it matters how well Shaq plays. Harris and Terry are quick enough to at least make Wade work for his points and could at least limit his 30+ games.

Another question, who the hell on the Heat can guard Dirk? Not Haslem, not Walker? If he continues to play the way he has been, this could be an amazing series.
JChitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 08:46 PM   #5
trayhezy
All-Star Player

trayhezy is on a distinguished road

Hmmmm......Shaq is within 4 games of a ring.....Dallas is in trouble.....I don't think this series makes it back to Dallas.
until I'm Tiger dead
trayhezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:44 PM   #6
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I'll be pulling for the Mavs, but Heat in seven. I think Shaq wants it too badly, whereas Dallas is just happy to have the Western Conference trophy finally. Should be a great series!
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 12:38 AM   #7
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Who is going to defend Shaq? Does it really matter that much in the grand scheme? Is Shaq really going to be any more dominant than Duncan was? Duncan averaged 32 and 11 against the Mavs and Dallas still managed to come out on top.

Well, who on Miami can stay with Nowitzki? He has been the league's best player in the post season thus far. I wouldn't hold my breath on Antoine Walker or Udonis Haslem being able to slow down Dirk.

I think Shaq and Nowitzki probably cancel each other out in terms of their numbers and impact they have in the series. I don't know that Dallas has anyone that can stop Shaq nor does Miami have anyone that can handle Nowitzki effectively.

If Dallas is smart they will turn up the offense a notch and try to force Miami into a running game and attack the basket. If they can dictate Miami into an up tempo game they will likely be able to tire Shaq out or neutralize him a bit as he doesn't get up and down the floor like he used to.

Ultimately the series likely comes down to whether Josh Howard can slow down Wade the way he did with Steve Nash and who has the better series between Terry/Harris and Payton/Williams
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 12:52 AM   #8
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

I like the Heat in no more than 5. They take one of the 1st 2 in Dallas, then head back to Miami to close it out.

On a related note, I really hate the 2-3-2 series.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 01:42 AM   #9
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee
Who is going to defend Shaq? Does it really matter that much in the grand scheme? Is Shaq really going to be any more dominant than Duncan was? Duncan averaged 32 and 11 against the Mavs and Dallas still managed to come out on top.
I think some downplay Shaq's dominance in how the Mavs will be forced to play defensively. True, Duncan brought his own problems for the Mavs but Shaq's inside presence & renewed mobility can still change the dynamics of the game in ways Duncan couldn't IMO...

Quote:
Well, who on Miami can stay with Nowitzki? He has been the league's best player in the post season thus far. I wouldn't hold my breath on Antoine Walker or Udonis Haslem being able to slow down Dirk.
Agreed...Dirk will be the thorn in Miami's side & will be the key to the Mavs game. I don't see anyone stopping him but I see Riley earning his pay by putting in some wrinkles & adjustments for key stretches in games. I believe Howard will have more of an impact if he continues his surge.

Quote:
I think Shaq and Nowitzki probably cancel each other out in terms of their numbers and impact they have in the series. I don't know that Dallas has anyone that can stop Shaq nor does Miami have anyone that can handle Nowitzki effectively.
I agree on the #s but once again not the impact. The doubling necessary to help out on Shaq, as one example, should open the interior & soften it up. I also would expect an abundant amount of fouls to the point of some extra FTs in Miami's favor. Of course if they'll capitalize on them is a question in itself...

Quote:
If Dallas is smart they will turn up the offense a notch and try to force Miami into a running game and attack the basket. If they can dictate Miami into an up tempo game they will likely be able to tire Shaq out or neutralize him a bit as he doesn't get up and down the floor like he used to.
I'm sure that's the strategy since it takes advantage of exactly that but Riley's always been good at being able to slow down the tempo when he needs to. I think we'll see more games in the 80s to low 90s than we'll see in the high 90s to 100+...

Quote:
Ultimately the series likely comes down to whether Josh Howard can slow down Wade the way he did with Steve Nash and who has the better series between Terry/Harris and Payton/Williams
Personally I don't see the comparison of Nash vs Wade. Howard's job will be a lot tougher against Wade to the point I don't see him slowing him down IMO. Team defense will be more the key in that chore. I agree tho that the opposing backcourts will play a big part in deciding this one. If one tandem doesn't play exceptionally well to give their team the edge, if they play stupid ball, they sure as Hell can lose it for them...
Old 06-06-2006, 11:01 PM   #10
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Goin' fer da kill here...Heat in FIVE.

Game 1-Heat
Game 2-Mavs
Games 3-5 Heat
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 06:06 PM   #11
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

Heat in 6. and Mavs next year.

Addition: Doublee, do you have a prediction?

Last edited by Shawndo; 06-09-2006 at 12:45 AM.
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 01:12 AM   #12
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

:redhot:

You go to this damn 2-3 zone on D and have J Will cover Dirk at the top of the key. :redhot:

Alonzo Mourning...you are useless my friend. :redhot:

Riley: put Payton on Terry for the majority of the game and screw the fact he doesn't have the offense that J Will has. You tell Walker and Wade they are goin' to have get higher percentage shots...that's all. :redhot:

Miami: a little movement without the ball when Shaq has it down low and also when Wade has it at the top of the key would be helpful. :redhot:

Haslem: you showed up making this game close...good job.

Heat training staff: you've had nearly a week and can't get Wade to 100%? Are ya usin' modern medicine or witchcraft? :redhot:

Grim stat: In the 21 years of the 2-3-2 format, only TWO teams have lost Game 1 on the road and went on to win the series (1985 Lakers, 1998 Bulls). And I believe those two squads were "special."

Only twice in NBA history has a team without a future HOFer won an NBA championship (1979 Sonics, 2004 Pistons). You have to take the fact that Kupchak played for Washington in 1979 (defeated team) and was GM of the 04 Lakers (defeated team) into account though. Still, if Dallas wins this series it will be a monumental outrage and Shaq and Riley should be punished to no end for it.

Using 8 men in your rotation is going to kill you if you run and have to deal with a team using 10 men.

After the 1st quarter, the Mavs took over adjusting to the Miami attack and not allowing them to get to the hoop. Johnson was the better coach tonight...PERIOD.

Shaq: 11 shots in 38 minutes, 7 rebs, and 1-9 FTs? Plus you let Dampier get 7 boards? Totally unacceptable.

I still have hope, but things look bleak. With the 2-3-2 format you can't afford to wait to get back home to decrease those TOs and shoot higher from the line like the Heat did in the Detroit series.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:00 AM   #13
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Easy, Buck...All's not lost...

Great points but I still think this was a game of Miami gettin' away from theirs than Dallas imposing theirs. The adjustments are obvious & I'm sure Riley won't be light of touch in gettin' that message across. Now if the Heat players are gonna follow thru....Hmmmm...

Biggest problem which I still haven't figured out why it was a problem is the Heat's inability to adjust to Dallas's switch to the 2-3 zone. All ball movement slowed to a crawl, little or no movement without the ball, wasted clock, rushed shots, etc. Almost as tho it was the 1st time they ever faced one...

Defense....Left on the plane ride over??? Terry gets hot & he's given the matador D to the hoop. Time & time again, Heat defenders with their backs to the hottest hand on the floor. No help anywhere to be seen. Interior D just plain sucked at the worst times...

Ball movement??? Too much time run off the clock before Shaq gets it when he gets it. No entry pass...pass out...pass back in??? It's just amazing to me that the biggest target on the floor can also be invisible for so much of the game. That's where the triangle benefitted Shaq the most is the opportunity to reset in the blocks after the initial entry. I don't know why the basic premise isn't a staple in the Heats O but I sure hope it's not Riley not wanting to mimc PJ...

The Heat was successful only when they controlled the tempo but they played right into letting Dallas back in it by rushing shot after shot after standing around. Is it fixable? I don't see why not if, & only if, the Heat players show better restraint & recognition in game 2.

Dallas should be happy they won but if they get cocky & lose sight of the fact they were loose with the ball, were more than stagnet in their halfcourt O, & their D was more than suspect for much of the game this series can get pretty ugly on 'em...quick...

Avery's gettin' a lotta good lovin' in the press which he deserves for the most part but I wouldn't discount the presence of Del Harris. He has a lot more to do with the adjustments than Johnson IMO...

I don't ever think a series is bleak unless the ass whippin' is so good that adjustments don't seem possible. After game 1, I just don't have that feelin'...
Old 06-09-2006, 02:23 AM   #14
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Yeah, I'm fired up Tark.

Good point on the 2-3 zone. It's my understanding that the best way to break the zone is to have guys who can penetrate and create off the dribble (movement without the ball by the other 4 helps too...like cutting to the hoop when the guy in your zone goes to cover the penetrator). Ummm...Wade can do it. Williams can do it. Even Payton can do it at times. Walker can do it but will undoubtedly put up a shot no matter how bad it might be. Still, we need to see it.

I still say you gotta put Payton on Terry and make him work hard by chasing him around and denying him the ball. Payton can still do that at a decent clip if you watch him when Dallas has the ball at the top lookin' for cutters. Yeah you lose O, but you have Shaq and Wade. You tell 'em we need 35 or 40 tonight...this ain't the time to bi*** about junk.

Yeah, I complained about Shaq's number of attempts, but it should be more like the number of touches. They do run a little mini-triangle Tark...or did anyway...at times in the season from what I recall (mostly with Payton in). I don't know Riley's thinking there.

Rushing shots? You got 5 on 5 in the halfcourt set with a lazy UNSET zone D and Wade starts dribblin' around like he's in the circus than puts up some crazy shot. Damn.

Riley taking Shaq out at the end of the first half seemed a little premature. He only had 2 fouls at that time...no? You gotta leave him in there, esp. since Zo was totally useless.

Harris has always been an excellent X and O coach, but lacked the personality to mesh players when he was in L.A. I thought he did a good job back in the day with Houston, but he's merely an assistant coach in today's league.

I agree with the restraint and recognition theory Tark, the only problem is you gotta do it on the road again. Like we talked about after Game 5 of the Heat-Pistons series: the Heat need that homecourt boost to limit the TOs and shoot better from the FT line. Yeah, truly great championship teams should be able to do it on the road too, but this ain't goin' to be a "Team for the Ages" even if they do win.

You know I never felt that Dallas imposed their will either. I was thinkin' all the doom and gloom talk at half by the experts was a little off. Anyway, you can't shoot 43% for a game after shooting 70% in the first quarter. Scoring 12 points in the 4th is utterly dreadful considering this ain't the 89 Pistons you're facing. I thought Dallas allowed the Heat perimeter players a buncha room comin' off picks, esp. early, which is a good sign.

In any event, Game 2 is a must win...no doubt about it.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:27 AM   #15
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

I'm pulling for Heat, but picking Mavs. The matchup confuses me. Picking Dallas cuz they've been winning whenever Nowitzki can't be stopped, and they won't stop him... or that was my logic before tonight. Nowitzki was pretty good, but the Heat lost it on their own.

Here's the quote of the game:

TEAM, TEAM, TEAM!!!! (Avery Johnson)

Tarkus is right to mention Del Harris, the Mavs' Defensive Coordinator (i kid you not). Though the Defensive Rebounding Coach and Foul Shaq Coach should get some credit (okay, now i'm kidding)
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote