Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 07-05-2006, 05:37 PM   #1
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough
Default Early World Series Predictions

It's going to be the NY Mets against the Chicago White Sox. The Mets winning it.
The Mets have finally put it together. Carlos Beltran is awesome along with David Wright and Carlos Delgado. Shortstop Jose Reyes is hitting well. Pitchers Tom Glavine and Pedrom Martinez are pitching very well in 2006.

Even though Detroit leads the AL Central the White Sox will prevail even as a Wild Card. Their offense is great and their pitching is also good. Especially Jose Contreas. Even With the Tigers pitching staff ranked number one in the AL and Chicago at sixth the WHite Sox will win.

Chicago's offense is ranked number two in hitting in the AL and number two in all the majors. Jim Thome is having a great season.

Chicago could win the World Series again if their offense is hitting like it is now against the Mets pitching.

Two other teams that could play in the WS are St. Louis Cardinals and the Boston Red Sox. But u know Boston's postseason history.

So what are your ideas? I'm not counting out the Detroit Tigers by any means. They look very good so far this season.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:40 PM   #2
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I think about the only certainty right now is that the Mets will win the NL East but I have a hard time picking them to win the World Series given that they just dropped five of six games to Boston and the Yankees. The Mets have also been floundering a bit with Pedro taking his annual two week sojourn around the All Star break and guys like Delgado, Nady, and Floyd battling injuries. I agree with the sentiment that if the Mets want to win it all they need to add another quality arm at or near the top of the rotation. After Glavine and Pedro there is little else to get excited about in that rotation.

The Cards have the pieces to contend if they get their heads out of their butts, but I just don't know this year. They need Mulder to bounce back and pitch the way he did last year when he comes off the DL if they want to seriously contend.

The Champion more than likely comes out of the AL and it likely comes down to Chicago or Boston.

Detroit has enough of a cushion to be able to hang on and win the Wild Card. The thing that concerns me the most about the Tigers is their pitching. They really need to consider adding a quality veteran arm if the opportunity presents itself. They are going to relying heavily on pitchers like Justin Verlander and Jeremy Bonderman to throw 200+ innings and neither has to do that in their major league career so there is the possiblity of them hitting a wall. Plus none of them have ever pitched meaningful big league inningsin the months of August or September. On top of that Kenny Rogers, the established veteran, typically fades after the break and has a penchant for choking in big games. Lastly, they still don't have a quality closer as both Chicago and Boston do.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 05:12 AM   #3
LA sports
I love LA!

LA sports is on a distinguished road

I picked the Yankees over the Mets at the beginning of the season, I still feel pretty good about the Mets but I don't know about the Yanks anymore. IMO they both need a little more starting pitching. Their bullpen's and bats can get it done though.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:39 AM   #4
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Tuff call...
AL:
East: Boston
Central: Chicago
West: Oakland
WC: Detroit
AL Pennant: Boston (bias, yes - if not them - Chi-sox)
NL:
East: Mets
Central: Cards
West: Dodgers
WC: Reds!!!
NL Pennant: Mets (they just look the best right now)
WS Winner: BoSox... ha ha... No Billy B, and Mookie W this time!!! Just makes sense with it being 20 years and everything.

Last edited by boston_aloha; 07-06-2006 at 07:53 AM.
boston_aloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 11:15 AM   #5
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

Can't believe Boston has lost three in a row to Tampa, but they usually don't play that well in Tampa. Isn't that correct? But their hitting and good pitching will return soon.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:33 PM   #6
play23
Sports Enthusiast

play23 is on a distinguished road

I agree with bama on all but one thing. I think that it will be the white sox and the mets in the world series, but I think the white sox will repeat. I just think that their experience from last year and knowing what it was like in that kind of situation, I think it would be hard to beat them. Not to mention there is no lead that is safe with this team. They can come back from any deficit at any time and are probably the best come-from-behind team there is in baseball. I think it would be very tough to beat them once they get into the post-season.
play23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 09:13 PM   #7
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA sports
I picked the Yankees over the Mets at the beginning of the season, I still feel pretty good about the Mets but I don't know about the Yanks anymore. IMO they both need a little more starting pitching. Their bullpen's and bats can get it done though.
Agreed about the starting pitching, but they are going to need to find another arm or two for the bullpen as well. Farnsworth and Proctor are fading already and Ron Villone is the only guy other than Rivera that is giving them quality innings out of the pen right now. Matt Smith has been alright so far, but it is only a matter of time until his ratio of six walks per 9 innings catches up with him.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:25 PM   #8
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Both New York teams will be buyers at the trading deadline, as will the White Sox. The Yanks and Mets both need pitching and the Sox could use an outfielder.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:38 PM   #9
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Yeah, it is funny. I read where the Angels actually had the cajones to ask for Lastings Milledge in return for Jeff Weaver before they traded him to St. Louis.

Something tells me the Mets may be in the market for an outfielder as well. Floyd and Nady seem to be struggling to stay healthy and even when Floyd has been healthy his play has not been anything special.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:05 AM   #10
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

As to my WS prediction, I don't see the White Sox making it, even if they do win the wild card. Their pitching hasn't been as good as in the past (Contreras has, but the rest of the starters are beatable). I don't like the Tigers' chances to make it through the playoffs either. That leaves me with either Oakland or Boston and I think Boston will be the winner there.
In the NL, I still like the Cardinals. I think they will get some pitching at the trade deadline and be just fine.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 04:14 PM   #11
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

Good to hear from u again Catman. Hope u and family are fine. As usually I agree with u most the time. The Mets and Yankees could use some extra help with their pitching. Randy Johnson is 10-7, but is slowly wearing down.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:02 PM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Randy Johnson's 10-7 has little to do with how well he has pitched and more to do with the fact that at 8.05 runs per game he gets the second best run support in baseball.

catman, I hope you are right. At least the Slug Ponson put in 6+ good innings last night. Too bad the freakin' defense couldn't hold up behind him. I still think the arms are there talent-wise it is just that whenever I watch them these days I see guys who have lost their mojo and are pitching with a minimal amount of confidence. Plus, Mulder was clearly pitching hurt and was not telling anyone. Marquis just needs someone to clock him in the head with a 2X4 until he gets it through his head that he is not going to be able to throw his low 90s fastball past major league hitters.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:17 AM   #13
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

Tigers vs. Padres

In reality, the Red Sox and Mets look like the favorites (see others' posts above), but I think the BoSox lack the "edge" and I can't mentally picture the Mets making the Series... must be the uniforms/history. Tigers have the 1-2-3 punch, and the Padres have all the tools if they actually win their division (plus, all the other NL teams are seriously flawed except the Mets). Padres' pitching would have to be rolling at just the right time, though.

So, I'm going with the 1984 dejavu World Series
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:00 PM   #14
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

If Jim thome and Paul Konerko keep hitting like they have been watch out. Same for Boston too.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:41 PM   #15
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

A couple of teams u can count out:Oakland A's-texas Rangers, Philadelphia Phillies and Toronto BlueJays.

Don't count Atlanta out just yet. I would love to see the NY Yankees and the Braves play again. Or NY Yankees against the NY Mets.