Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 11-21-2006, 02:56 AM   #16
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Catman, what are your thoughts on Howard getting the NL MVP?
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:21 PM   #17
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Where is your penny? I'm sure it'll be worth all of that.
Seriously, Ryan Howard carried his team down the stretch and nearly into the playoffs. They were hot in September, where the Cardinals were cold (soon to change for the better, however).
It should be interesting for the next few years watching these guys careers (Howard and Pujols). Both are fine players, playing for teams that are in contention for titles. Neither has the supporting cast they would like and both carry the teams.
I see this vote being similar for many years with both guys bringing home their share of hardware.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 07:11 PM   #18
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Justin Morneau, a really good kid -- yes I've met him and talked to him several times -- wins the AL MVP. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?...mlb&id=2670874
Congratulations on winning this award.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 12:43 AM   #19
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Well deserved IMO.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:54 AM   #20
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Completely agree. Morneau was the hottest player since early June, and helped the Twins beat out the Tigers for the central division. What a great accomplishment for the Twins to have the Cy Young winner AND the MVP on their team. It definitely bodes well for them this coming season.....
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 05:39 PM   #21
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

So no one thinks Jeter was robbed? I personally thought he was head and shoulders above any other candidate for MVP in the AL.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:40 PM   #22
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

He certainly did not get ROBBED, or, uh JEETED as the NY papers said. No one with under 100 RBI can even hint at being robbed of an MVP award. I think it has only happened once in the AL in the past decade.

If he finished 2nd, and I believe he did, I think Jeter can be thankful that he played in NY and had those numbers. Because if he put up the season he had in most other markets, he certainly would not have been up that high. Look at Edgar Martinez for all those years. Nomar Garciaparra in 1999 and 2000. And Jeter certainly got my closer to the MVP than those guys did.

I'm not saying a Jeter for MVP argument can't be made, just that I don't think you can't say he was cheated when he was this close to the MVP award based only on where he played. Anywhere else, he doesn't get this consideration with the season he had.

Last edited by HibachiDG; 11-22-2006 at 06:50 PM.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 06:58 PM   #23
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpbot View Post
So no one thinks Jeter was robbed? I personally thought he was head and shoulders above any other candidate for MVP in the AL.
No, not at all. I am tired of hearing how beat up the Yankees were this year and am tired of hearing how great of a leader is when the truth is instead of having an All Star at every position they only had one at six or seven positions and if he were such a great leader he would have done something to squash the A-Rod stuff instead of letting it fester all year.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote