Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 12:40 AM   #1
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough
Default NBA Second Round Playoffs Thread

The second round kicks off Saturday with:

Orlando v. Detroit
San Antonio v. New Orleans

The Lakers await the winner of Houston/Utah
The Cavs await the winner of Boston/Atlanta

Both of the series kicking off this weekend are intriguing to me. In the regular season matchups both series were split 2-2.

I am leaning towards Orlando beating Detroit in 7. I know the grizzled veteran teams typically win these types of series but Dwight Howard is possibly the second best player left in the East after LeBron and he is just playing like a man on a mission right now. I am just not sure Detroit has anyone who can handle him.

In the West San Antonio takes it. The Hornets will give the Spurs a run for their money but in the end the experience and talent wins out. Paul will not dominate like he did against Dallas as Parker is going to make him play more defense than Kidd did and I'll take Manu and Duncan over West and Peja any day. It could go 7 but I won't be surprised if the Spurs wrap it in six.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
Old 05-03-2008, 05:31 AM   #2
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Pistons 4 Orlando 2

Detroit should be ready this round. Howard will throw a scare into 'em for a couple games, maybe even 3, but ultimately I see the playoff pressure starting to help out the Pistons & doom the Magic. Pistons are starting to show their playoff game face.

SA 4 NO 3

Tough series with the playoff edge making the difference. Well matched with whoever controls the paint coming out on top. Thomas needs to be a factor in this one & Ginobli needs to shake out of his funk. Parker won't have an easy time getting in the lane against Paul's quickness so TD has to make more noise earlier in the games. Hornets have been successful to a degree in wearing down the Spurs in the 4th quarters so the Spurs better have an edge by then.

LA 4 Utah 2

Utah wasn't too successful this year & that was before Gasol entered the picture. Plus with Odom blossoming with the pressure of being the #2 option gone, this should be more than enough to make this one a tough but Laker series. Boozer & Williams will have to play like Gods to make this one closer.

Cavs lucky to get a much needed rest. They may want to face the Celtics than the Hawks. Both were tough this year but if the Hawks win, they'll be mighty high on themselves where the Celtics are already questioning themselves.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:20 AM   #3
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
I am leaning towards Orlando beating Detroit in 7. I know the grizzled veteran teams typically win these types of series but Dwight Howard is possibly the second best player left in the East after LeBron and he is just playing like a man on a mission right now. I am just not sure Detroit has anyone who can handle him.
Man, you are one of the only people I've heard or read in the last couple of days giving the Magicmen a chance, and I love it!!:thumbsup2:

Howard is young AND a beast. Hedo, when hot, can be the X factor. If the Magic can consistently hit the 3s like they did early in the series vs the Raptors they definitely have a fighting chance vs Detroit.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:38 AM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

For what it is worth Cleveland split with Boston 2 games apiece, but LeBron sat out one of the losses and edged the Hawks 2 to 1 during the regular season. However, the two Cleveland wins were by 5 and 4 points so the Hawks were competitive in all 3 contests.

The Magic winning is entirely contingent upon Howard keeping up the pace. The only thing that worries me is I still think he can get a bit intimidated at times and the Pistons will not be afraid to try and bang him around a bit. They can be much more physical than the Raptors were. The Pistons are a team that Howard posted some his lowest numbers against this year. If he is truly getting over the hump this spring and taking the mantle as the beast of the east then he needs to lead the Magic over the Pistons in this series. He got a bit overwhelmed and intimidated by the Pistons last year and that was a big reason they got swept. He seems to be taking his game to the next level right now and if that is the case then I like the Magic to squeak this one out.
Old 05-04-2008, 02:57 AM   #5
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Pistons not too troubled by the Magic. They've already got the Magic on the run.

NO sure didn't waste much time in destroying the Spurs. TD with 5 points? I knew they'd have a stinker but I didn't think it would be game #1
Old 05-04-2008, 08:07 PM   #6
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Yeah, what a big statement in Game 1 by the Pistons. Maybe they really have woken up. I think they are too deep and experienced for the Magic. The difference with Detroit is their depth and bench; it's really improved over recent years. But I am a huge fan of Dwight Howard and he is becoming one of my favorite players. Plus, I gotta pull for Keith Bogans, so the Magic are my second team.

I am more surprised that N.O. trounced the Spurs. I think a lot of people were skeptical about them being a fluke and lacking playoff experienced, etc., but they are for real...
Old 05-04-2008, 08:30 PM   #7
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I wasn't surprised to see the Hornets win, however, I was shocked at how they just took the Spurs to the woodshed in the second half of that game. Did anyone else think that TNT made just a little too much of a big deal out of the mascot stunt fiasco between the 1st and 2nd quarters?

Dwight Howard did exactly what I was afraid might happen. He let the Pistons push him around and he disappeared. One thing that struck me though was how much slower Chauncy Billups is than Jameer Nelson. Nelson was just blowing right past him whenever he wanted to.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:49 PM   #8
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Utah missed a big opportunity today but it was expected. They played right into LA's hands & blew easy shots. Sure The Lakers were rested but the Jazz mistakes weren't about being fresh or not. Sloan is still smokin' I'm sure.

Impressive Celtic response to a game 7. Talk about 'gutting' an opponent.

Celtics 4 Cavs 3

Tough series for both teams but I'll give the edge to the Celts.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:24 AM   #9
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Two interesting tidbits here:

Phil Jackson is 39-0 when winning game one of a best of 7, so I guess that mean we can go ahead and pencil the Lakers into the Conference Finals.

No team that has needed 7 games to get out of the first round has ever made it to the Finals. Although the sample size is pretty small on that since they only started doing best of 7 in '03. But that could be a sign of things to come for the Celtics in the East.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:02 PM   #10
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Celtics 4 Cavs 3
Pistons 4 Magic 2

Spurs 4 Hornets 2
Lakers 4 Jazz 1
Old 05-06-2008, 10:02 AM   #11
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Spurs shooting woes couldn't have come at a worst time. This young Hornet team has to be pressured at the defensive end better than this if SA is to survive.

TD isn't going to save this one since he's getting run at from all sides when he touches the ball & no other Spur is stepping up to make them pay. Hats off to NO for showing a killer instinct. They're playing like a Cinderella team which is a scary thought.

The Magic are trying to hang tough but it's just not enough against a team that knows how to close like the Pistons.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:03 AM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

The Spurs really look like they are done for the year. I'd like their chances to pull this one out if they had actually put up a fight in the second halves of the first two games.

So far, in 7 postseason games, Chris Paul has 85 assists to just 9 turnovers.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:09 AM   #13
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Man, I really hope N.O. can beat the Spurs. Chris Paul is just fun to watch, and David West is a Xavier graduate. I'd love to see the Cavs v. Hornets in the finals!

Think Fresh.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:16 AM   #14
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Bruiser of an East contest with tons of misses & TOs that was settled at the wire 76-72. 2 for 18 for James & Ray Allen going scoreless just about sums up how ugly it was..
Old 05-07-2008, 10:13 AM   #15
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Not to mention LeBron's 10 turnovers, he was 1 AST and 1 Reb away from posting a quadruple-double, and Allen/Pierce combining to go 4 of 18 from the field and chipping in 10 TOs. KG was the only star player who showed up to play last night.
Closed Thread