Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 09-15-2008, 08:29 AM   #1
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road
Default Nice HOME game for the Astros- Zambrano no-hitter in Milwaukee

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=280914118

After a couple of starts where Zambrano struggled, he returned last night against the Astros on 12 days rest and pitched a no-hitter. The game also happened to be played in front of 23,000 or so Cubs fans when it was meant to be a home game for the Astros.

Quote:
While the Astros batted last, Cooper wasn't happy with the arrangement.

"This is not a home game. This is definitely an advantage for the Cubs and that's saying it as mildly as possible," the former Brewers star said.
So, why did they play this game in Milwaukee? Understandable to not play it in Houston, but couldn't they have moved it to somewhere else in Texas a couple hours away? Somewhere, at the very least, neutral? The Astros are in the wildcard hunt and have been on a tear lately, but they have 3 home games turned into two road games. Probably not the best decision to play the games in Milwaukee.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:31 AM   #2
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Yeah, I thought it was nice of MLB to protect the integrity of the playoff race by basically giving the Cubs 2 additional home games when they have been struggling pretty mightily of late.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:22 PM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

It reminds of when Katrina hit New Orleans and the league made the decision to have the Saints "host" the Giants at the Meadowlands for its home opener.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:35 PM   #4
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Yeah, it just seems silly to have it in Milwaukee. Outside of money, I guess, as they know moving it to Milwaukee you'll get 15-20k for each game. But, really, the Astros have a solid complaint about this. Who knows what happens if the game is played at a place near Houston or a legit neutral site.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:13 PM   #5
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

Could have been played at Round Rock, the Astros AAA facility. We had hardly no bad weather here, and it would have at least been a familiar place to most of the players.
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:09 PM   #6
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

To add insult to injury the Brewers are held to just one hit by Lilly, who took a no-hitter into the 7th, and the bullpen. The Brewers set a record for fewest hits over a two game span.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:05 AM   #7
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
To add insult to injury the Brewers are held to just one hit by Lilly, who took a no-hitter into the 7th, and the bullpen. The Brewers set a record for fewest hits over a two game span.
All this Miller Park talk has you thinking Brewers instead of Astros.

As far as playing there & not knowing the reasons why makes me wonder how this shakes out with what Rosenthal said:

"The whole thing seems so unfair — the hurricane, the shifting of the Cubs' series to Milwaukee's Miller Park, the Carlos Zambrano no-hitter against the Astros on Sunday night.

Well, Ike's real-life impact is more unfair. And Zambrano, who originally was scheduled to pitch Saturday night, probably would have been just as dominant on 11 days rest at Minute Maid as he was on 12 days rest at Miller.

Zambrano's career numbers at the two parks were almost identical. The Astros could not touch him at Miller in front of a pro-Cubs crowd.

They would not have touched him at Minute Maid in front of a pro-Astros crowd. Ten strikeouts, one walk, 110 pitches, no chance.

Still, no one should dismiss the possible effects of Ike on the Astros, who spent the past several days worrying about their families and homes, then were assigned the privilege of playing a "home" series against the Cubs at a neutral site about 90 miles north of Chicago.

The inclement weather around the country wreaked havoc on a number of contenders over the weekend, forcing the schedulings of double-headers and the jugglings of rotations. The Astros, dealing with more than just rain, had it worse than any club.

Yet, baseball's options were limited.

The Cubs' series obviously could not be played in Houston. Moving the games to an outdoor park and risking further rainouts made little sense. So did playing in an American League dome such as Minnesota's Metrodome, a quirky stadium that is largely unfamiliar to N.L. clubs.

Aside from Minute Maid, the only two N.L. parks with roofs are Miller and Arizona's Chase Field. The Diamondbacks currently are at home, and Chase is as much Wrigley Southwest as Miller is Wrigley North. By process of elimination, Miller was the logical choice...."

Link

Unfair? Yea but I would think that the concern they had about the hurricane had much more to do with it than it being in Miller Park. Plus I'm not so sure that MLB was throwing a bone to the Cubs since some of those losses were a mix of hot pitchers, close games with it being a particular player failing as opposed to a team wide tank job.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:14 AM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Jayson Stark hit it on the head on Mike and Mike this morning. He said the games should have been postponed and played at the end of the season if they were going to have any kind of impact on playoff seeding or who made the playoffs.

I never really thought about it at the time but it was pretty ludicrous for MLB to make them get on a plane and fly up to Milwaukee the day after Ike blew through there. As Stark said at what point do you treat the players like human beings and not just as employees who are making you money?

He said the only reason this was done was because MLB did not want to have to change the TV schedules for the post season. So, basically, the power of the almighty dollar wins out over doing the right thing for those players and their families.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:28 AM   #9
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

I agree 1000% but always remind myself that it's exactly that.....the money, & how the powers-that-be always look at things.

It's the hand that's dealt us that makes a common sense solution, especially when it comes to something outside the realm of what's fair to whom & in who's eyes, something unheard of in keeping the competition equal for all. This was an 'Act of God' & shouldn't have been used as a punishment exacted on the Astros.

So that's the format I use where the approach to a solution isn't available in the criteria we live under, as ****ty as it is.

But once again, a symptom of our society...

Last edited by Tarkus; 09-16-2008 at 10:35 AM.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote