Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2008, 04:44 PM   #1
CKFresh
Most Hated Member
 
CKFresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 7,377
CKFresh will become famous soon enough
Default Tennessee Head Coaching Job

Who do you anticipate taking over in ol' rocky top?

Here's a list of some coaches rumored to be in line for the job:

TIM BREWSTER
>> Current position:
Minnesota coach
>> Age: 48
POSITIVE
Despite being in Minnesota, recruits the South very well
NEGATIVE
Only has two years of college head coaching experience

DAVID CUTCLIFFE
>> Current position:
Duke coach
>> Age: 54
POSITIVE
Ex-UT offensive coordinator; had success as Ole Miss coach
NEGATIVE
Might be reluctant to replace his close friend

BUTCH DAVIS
>> Current position:
North Carolina coach
>> Age: 56
POSITIVE
High profile name, proven winner, recruits the South very well
NEGATIVE
Could be too expensive, age may not lead to long-term stay

RANDY EDSALL
>> Current position:
Connecticut coach
>> Age: 50
POSITIVE
Took a downtrodden UConn team and got into the national rankings
NEGATIVE
Defensive-minded coach; UT may want an coach for offense

TURNER GILL
>> Current position: SUNY Buffalo coach
>> Age: 46
POSITIVE
Coached two first-team
All-America QBs while an assistant at Nebraska
NEGATIVE
Lacks head coaching experience at a major program

TODD GRAHAM
>> Current position:
Tulsa coach
>> Age: 43
POSITIVE
Led Tulsa to first-place finishes in each of past two years
NEGATIVE
Defensive coordinator may not satisfy UT's need for offense

JON GRUDEN
>> Current position:
Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach
>> Age: 45
POSITIVE
Led the NFL Buccaneers to Super Bowl title in first year
NEGATIVE
A high-cost candidate if he even considers leaving NFL

MIKE GUNDY
>> Current position:
Oklahoma State coach
>> Age: 41
POSITIVE
Great offense, former UT assistant Trooper Taylor on staff
NEGATIVE
Recruiting the South could be an issue; would want big money

BRIAN KELLY
>> Current position:
Cincinnati coach
>> Age: 47
POSITIVE
Known as a program builder and is a proven winner
NEGATIVE
Name doesn't resonate like some big-time candidates

LANE KIFFIN
>> Current position: Unemployed
>> Age: 33
POSITIVE
Former coach of NFL's Oakland Raiders, recruited for Southern Cal
NEGATIVE
Hottest name on the market, will come at a high cost

MIKE LEACH
>> Current position:
Texas Tech coach
>> Age: 47
POSITIVE
One of the best offensive minds in college football
NEGATIVE
A quirky type who may irk
fans, but players love to play for him

WILL MUSCHAMP
>> Current position:
Texas defensive coordinator
>> Age: 37
POSITIVE
Former Auburn and LSU defensive coordinator, knows the SEC
NEGATIVE
Never been a college head coach

CHRIS PETERSEN
>> Current position:
Boise State coach
>> Age: 44
POSITIVE
Another magnificent offensive mind, a lot of energy
NEGATIVE
Recruiting in the South will be a challenge

TOMMY TUBERVILLE
>> Current position:
Auburn coach
>> Age: 54
POSITIVE
Great defensive mind with big-time SEC experience
NEGATIVE
Auburn's offense has been abysmal in 2008

---------------------

Thoughts?

I just hope it's not Brian Kelly. He's done a helluva job at UC and I hope he sticks around to build this program into a consistent winner
__________________
Do yourself a favor, become your own savior.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:29 PM   #2
doublee
Sports Virtuoso
 
doublee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 11,138
doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post

DAVID CUTCLIFFE
>> Current position:
Duke coach
>> Age: 54
POSITIVE
Ex-UT offensive coordinator; had success as Ole Miss coach
NEGATIVE
Might be reluctant to replace his close friend
He has already gone on record saying he wouldn't take the job due to his relationship with Fulmer.

Quote:
BUTCH DAVIS
>> Current position:
North Carolina coach
>> Age: 56
POSITIVE
High profile name, proven winner, recruits the South very well
NEGATIVE
Could be too expensive, age may not lead to long-term stay
Doubtful. I doubt UT is willing to pay him much more than the 2.5 he is making at UNC and I don't know that the job is significantly better than the one he has now.

Quote:
JON GRUDEN
>> Current position:
Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach
>> Age: 45
POSITIVE
Led the NFL Buccaneers to Super Bowl title in first year
NEGATIVE
A high-cost candidate if he even considers leaving NFL
Has already said the NFL is always where he has wanted to be and has no interest in it. Besides he is probably making more at Tampa than UT is willing to pay. I don't think he has the temperament to coach a college team.

Quote:
BRIAN KELLY
>> Current position:
Cincinnati coach
>> Age: 47
POSITIVE
Known as a program builder and is a proven winner
NEGATIVE
Name doesn't resonate like some big-time candidates
Seems like the most logical choice.

Quote:
LANE KIFFIN
>> Current position: Unemployed
>> Age: 33
POSITIVE
Former coach of NFL's Oakland Raiders, recruited for Southern Cal
NEGATIVE
Hottest name on the market, will come at a high cost
They may need to grab him before Clemson does.

Quote:
MIKE LEACH
>> Current position:
Texas Tech coach
>> Age: 47
POSITIVE
One of the best offensive minds in college football
NEGATIVE
A quirky type who may irk
fans, but players love to play for him
Are they willing to give him that much more than TT is about to give him?
__________________
Can I get an Amen from the bobbleheads?
Hey I said pass the ketchup! I'm eatin' salad here!
Oooh, there is so much I don't know about astrophysics. I wish I had read that book by that wheelchair guy.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who will take over as head coach in the Windy City? diablopost National Football League 8 01-15-2004 08:45 PM
Sports Central Newsletter - #92 - Coaching Criticism Marc News and Announcements 0 12-16-2002 09:42 PM
Asisine: Steinbrenner offers coaching job to Strawberry Marc Major League Baseball 5 02-20-2002 09:26 AM
Doug Collins taking the Wizards' head coaching job Spike National Basketball Association 4 06-17-2001 02:29 PM
Blazers Coaching Job Coveted blankmind National Basketball Association 0 05-29-2001 10:07 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:10 AM.