Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 09-29-2009, 04:56 AM   #1
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Sanchez, Kolb Make History

The Jets' win over Tennessee on Sunday made Mark Sanchez the first quarterback in NFL history to start on opening day of his rookie year and win his first three games, while Kevin "Corn on the" Kolb's two 300-yard games in his first two NFL starts is the first time that has ever occurred.

And all evening (on Monday) it crawled across the bottom of the screen on ESPN how Donovan McNabb may not be healthy enough to start in the Eagles' next game, the fact that they have a bye this coming week notwithstanding.

Hmmmmmmmmm.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:21 AM   #2
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

The fact that Kolb cannot or will not throw the ball down field still bugs me.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:01 AM   #3
Anthony

Maybe Reid and Mohrningweg don't trust Kolb enough to let him throw downfield at this point?

And it turns out that I was wrong about the game being blacked out; I just assumed it was since my parents e-mailed me and told me they didn't get to watch it - but the reason for that was that their cable company dropped Philadelphia's CBS affiliate (they live halfway between Philly and New York, in Central Jersey) which carried the Chiefs game (instead of Fox, whose Philadelphia channel they do still get) because it was an inter-conference game at home (they will miss the Denver game in Week 16 for the same reason).
Old 09-30-2009, 09:40 AM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Maybe Reid and Mohrningweg don't trust Kolb enough to let him throw downfield at this point?
Which is why you still need McNabb out there as the one thing he truly excels at is throwing the ball down field. Kolb may be as good or better at the small stuff but from what I have seen he is pretty erratic when it comes to having to throw the ball more than 10 or 15 yards down field. The few times I have seen him do it this year he has either under thrown the ball or missed wide left or right as often as he has hit his target.

Quote:
And it turns out that I was wrong about the game being blacked out; I just assumed it was since my parents e-mailed me and told me they didn't get to watch it - but the reason for that was that their cable company dropped Philadelphia's CBS affiliate (they live halfway between Philly and New York, in Central Jersey) which carried the Chiefs game (instead of Fox, whose Philadelphia channel they do still get) because it was an inter-conference game at home (they will miss the Denver game in Week 16 for the same reason).
Yeah to my knowledge Detroit and Oakland were the only two games blacked out this week. I would have a hard time believing an Eagles game would get blacked out. We all know even when the team sucks Philly fans will show up just so they can boo them. :lol:
Old 10-01-2009, 03:32 AM   #5
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
Which is why you still need McNabb out there as the one thing he truly excels at is throwing the ball down field. Kolb may be as good or better at the small stuff but from what I have seen he is pretty erratic when it comes to having to throw the ball more than 10 or 15 yards down field. The few times I have seen him do it this year he has either under thrown the ball or missed wide left or right as often as he has hit his target.

But if McNabb's ribs are still impairing him to any significant degree ... and besides, the Eagles have a receiver who can turn a ball physically thrown 10 or 15 yards into 50 or 75 yards - and six points.

Quote:
Yeah to my knowledge Detroit and Oakland were the only two games blacked out this week. I would have a hard time believing an Eagles game would get blacked out. We all know even when the team sucks Philly fans will show up just so they can boo them. :lol:

The Eagles have not had a home game blacked out since Week 17 of 1999.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:35 AM   #6
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

But you still need to be able to throw it down field to keep teams honest. If you just keep running 10 yard patterns teams will simply start squatting on the line of scrimmage killing any chance of running the ball because they know your quarterback cannot throw the ball down field.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:53 AM   #7
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quick bit of trivia. Anyone know whose record Kolb just broke for most passing yards in his first two career starts?