Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 05-30-2001, 03:52 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Thumbs down James MIA at Colts' practice?

I found this today. Apparently, Indy star RB Edgerrin James didn't attend summer practice while the rest of the team did - and no one knows why not.
Quote:
When coach Jim Mora brought his team onto the practice field Tuesday, one thought crossed his mind: Where was Edgerrin James?

James, the NFL's rushing champion each of the last two years, did not show for the first day of the Colts' summer school, a three-week, 12-practice regimen.

"The only guy not here was Edgerrin, who I didn't know about," Mora said. "Edgerrin wasn't here and I don't know why he's not here."

Tight end Marcus Pollard, who was designated the franchise player in February and who has not yet signed, also missed practice. Pollard did not attend the minicamp in late April, either.

Also absent were several rookies still completing college classwork.

Mora knew about those. What he didn't anticipate, however, was running a nearly two-hour practice without one of his top players.

"We've tried to make some contact with him, but we haven't had much of a response," Mora said. "He should be here."
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 06:17 PM   #2
Nate
Sports Virtuoso

Nate is on a distinguished road

I hope he shows up. The last thing the Colts need is a missing star running back. He's been at the voluntary camp the last two years, I read, so he should show up.

Go Colts! Go Boilers! Go Pacers! [[email protected]nspencer]
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 06:29 PM   #3
H. Tiemann Jr.
Grizzled Veteran

H. Tiemann Jr. is on a distinguished road

I heard that James is taking a different approach to training this year. He has been training at his home.

Who knows if this is correct. It's surprising that he is not at camp though.

The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will. ---Vince Lombardi

H. Tiemann Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 06:55 PM   #4
iFroggy
Sports Virtuoso

iFroggy is on a distinguished road

Very suprising. I'd expect him to at least... well, show up.
Old 05-30-2001, 08:49 PM   #5
Ross
Hall of Famer

Ross is on a distinguished road

Unless he holds out, this is no big deal. This is voluntary, right? I think the guy has earned enough respect and yardage to get a few days off.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2001, 08:18 PM   #6
Clutch
Sports Enthusiast

Clutch is on a distinguished road

I never understood what the big deal about guys not showing up for voluntary practices. If the coaching staff were so concerned about the players showing up for the practices they would make them mandatory. I know the guy is a professional and is paid to be a member of the team, but, the rules should be structured for the result. When you leave openings, the expectation should be for people to go through them, regardless if everyone chooses not to.
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2001, 07:28 AM   #7
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

They shouldn't worry too much about Edgerrin James not showing up for a mini-camp; they should be far more concerned about whether any semblance of a defense is going to show up during the regular season! And it is essential for the Colts to get off to a decent start; this has been a problem for them almost constantly since they moved from Baltimore.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote