Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 11-29-2004, 03:30 AM   #31
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough

Nothing to worry about, Edgar. Race has nothing to do with it. And we know that because Anthony said so! Rest easy.
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 02:42 PM   #32
bombers fan
All-Star Player

bombers fan is on a distinguished road

Brian Uralcher is over rated pelase he is easily 1 of the top 5 Lbs if not Top 3
still denys this to this day.
http://www.theforgotten.org/site/intro_eng.html
bombers fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 07:15 PM   #33
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by bombers fan
Tom Bradys recievers Terry Glen was there
David Givens
Troy Brown
David Patten
Dieon Branch
and no I didnt look these up
In '01, Brady threw the ball to David Patten and Troy Brown, almost exclusively. Occasionally, Kevin Faulk would get a catch, and sometimes JR Redmond.

Honestly, I can't think of the Pats' 3rd receiver in '01. Oh, wait, I've got it: Fred .... oh, shoot. Fred something. He was a former XFLer. Crap. Oh, well.

Glenn participated in, if memory serves, 5 games before being suspended from the team indefinitely for rules violations. He was not a large factor in what the Pats did in '01. But, Brady did throw to him.

Branch and Givens were both drafted in the year after the Super Bowl victory.

Both have proven to be decent receivers. Neither will EVER challenge for best receiver in the league honors.

Dave
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 04:00 AM   #34
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

And while we're on the subject of middle linebackers: How about my man Jeremiah Trotter? If only Fat Boy had inserted him before the season started, the Eagles would be on their way to 16-0 and immortality instead of merely being able to clinch a first-round bye with four games still to play (to do the latter they need to keep Green Bay winless in Philadelphia since 1962 after the Bears have upset the Vikings in the cold weather and then the Cowboys would need to pluck the Chickenhawks on Monday night).
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 05:19 PM   #35
RabidBronco
Sports Enthusiast

RabidBronco is on a distinguished road

I guess I'm the 123rd person here who ALSO THINKS Vick is more overrated than Avril Lavigne (what a comparison, eh!). Seriously, the guy is a true athlete, with amazing conditions, but once you only see him by his running instead of QB fundamentals, you know that come 3 or more years, they guy's gonna be awashed.

It's funny, but I read weeks ago how Mora was praising the guy for saying that he does everything to win. The West Coast O preaches passing execution at its best, and still Vick keeps on running and not sticking with fundamentals. That, my friends, shows poor profesionalism and ethic in trying to learn a system YOUR TEAM needs to work on, for today and the future. Vick obviously doesn't give a crap about it, and plays his way, whcih might be good NOW, but not for the road AHEAD.

I give the guy 2 more years. This is a copy-cat league, and once the playoffs arrive, one opposing D coordinator will find the way to stop him.
RabidBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 05:26 PM   #36
cubfan13
Rated SC's #1 Prospect

cubfan13 is on a distinguished road

who are the other good players on the falcons. not to say vick SINGLEhandedly carried them to a 9 and 2 record but besides Kerney and a few others, he puts the "i" in Falcons.
cubfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 06:24 PM   #37
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

HOW, Anthony, was Trotter going to save the Eagles from the Steelers D?
Please, entrall me with your acumen?

Dave
Old 12-02-2004, 03:09 PM   #38
bombers fan
All-Star Player

Acctually Cubbie the Falcons D is pretty good this year and that def. accounts for part of their succes
Their D is 7th against the run allowing 101.3 yrds a game
They are 4th in sacks with 32.
Also ALge Crummpler is having an amazing season.
Sorry man Vick may play a great deal in the teams succes but he did not put the I in falcons as you put it.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:47 PM   #39
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Nope, the defense is the biggest reason for the Falcons success this year. The offense is only averaging 2.4 ppg more this season than last while the defense is giving up 7.1 fewer ppg this year than last.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 06:49 PM   #40
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Thanks for the stats, doublee.

Gotta love it when somebody actually makes a case. Ya just gotta...

Dave
Old 12-02-2004, 07:42 PM   #41
cubfan13
Rated SC's #1 Prospect

you can't win without scoring. how's that for a stat. BAM!

I'm cubfan13 b!tch(said in Rick James' voice)
Old 12-02-2004, 07:43 PM   #42
cubfan13
Rated SC's #1 Prospect

ps. don't take me seriously (hahaha real funny. i know you wanted to write, "i don't take you seriously.")
Old 12-02-2004, 08:47 PM   #43
bombers fan
All-Star Player

ever herd of the quote offense wins games defense wins championships. The ravens went like 3 games without having their offense score a point back when they won the super bowl and won those games. They won cuz of their D not their offense. When the Bucs beat the Raiders it was the leagues top D "bucs vs the top o "raiders" and the Bucs won. The Rams were the greatest show on turf and the lost to the Pats who play amazing D. Theres a pattern here. To win a championship you need defense. PIstons won because of their DEFENSE.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:50 AM   #44
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

How can you get shut out and still win? The Ravens did, however, go five straight games without scoring a touchdown in 2000, and won two of the five games (12-0 over Cleveland and 15-10 over Jacksonville, with Matt Stover kicking four and five field goals in the two games respectively). They then lost 10-3 to the Redskins, 14-6 to the Titans and 9-6 to the Steelers. It was in the Tennessee game that they made Trent Dilfer the starting quarterback, and the rest, as they say, is history.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 05:26 AM   #45
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by bombers fan
ever herd of the quote offense wins games defense wins championships. The ravens went like 3 games without having their offense score a point back when they won the super bowl and won those games. They won cuz of their D not their offense. When the Bucs beat the Raiders it was the leagues top D "bucs vs the top o "raiders" and the Bucs won. The Rams were the greatest show on turf and the lost to the Pats who play amazing D. Theres a pattern here. To win a championship you need defense. PIstons won because of their DEFENSE.
The 2000 Ravens were lucky, and are the worst SB-winning team in history.

In 2001, when the Rams lost to the Pats in the Super Bowl, St. Louis ranked 3rd in total defense, and New England was 24th.

The 2002 Buccaneers won the Super Bowl because Jon Gruden and Monte Kiffin outcoached Bill Callahan and Marc Trest, not because defense is more important than offense.

I agree that Atlanta's defensive resurgence has more to do with their success this year than Vick does, but if you want to argue that defense is more important than offense, you are wrong.

I don't feel like repeating a rather involved discussion that took place on these boards less than a month ago, so please refer to the Fakers thread, particularly the second and third pages, and In Defense of Offense.

Teams like Kansas City (all offense, no defense) and Washington (all defense, no offense) are going nowhere, fast. Great teams have balance. Defense doesn't win championships any more than offense does. You need both.
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote