Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 12-20-2006, 09:23 AM   #16
PPKA
PuntPass&KickAss

PPKA is on a distinguished road

I don't care about that stuff Buddha. you know me better than that.

you can call it Merry Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs day as far as I'm concerned.

I was just wondering.

I believe atheists have their own religion. I just don't know what its called.

Atheism just doesn't sound right. lets invent a name unless you already have one picked out.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:12 AM   #17
BigBuddhaPup
Steelers lovin' canine

BigBuddhaPup is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPKA View Post
I don't care about that stuff Buddha. you know me better than that.

you can call it Merry Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs day as far as I'm concerned.

I was just wondering.

I believe atheists have their own religion. I just don't know what its called.

Atheism just doesn't sound right. lets invent a name unless you already have one picked out.
I figured I would put it out there before others made it an issue... Merry Disney Day..I am sure ABC/Disney would enjoy that...

Sometimes nothing means nothing, PPKA... Atheism simply fits, it is non-belief, non-religion, no god...call it what you will... the vital thing missing from atheism that makes it a non-religion is that, atheists think that metaphysics are bunk.

The simplest definition is 'there is no god'....

:thumbup: Go Steelers....
"So it goes"
BigBuddhaPup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 10:14 AM   #18
Jaguar Rick
rick in nc

Jaguar Rick is on a distinguished road

BBP, I think I would have to say I'm an Agnostic. I always thought that an Atheist believed there was [I]no[I] God. I really don't know. As a child I was forced to go to church and was even baptized. I attribute that to being young and very impressionable. I was caught under the spell of a slick evangelist. I despise being with people at a meal and them stopping everything for a prayer recited aloud. I think that is uncalled for. Why do Christians have to try pulling everyone else into their beliefs? Everyone who needs to pray, can do so to themselves. My other pet peeve is door-to-door pests, asking me "have you been saved?" It's especially bad in NC and GA.
For Christmas we celebrate like many people do. We have a tree, have our kids over, eat, drink and be merry. I am very concerned that the separation of church and state is narrowing.
rick
Old 12-20-2006, 11:29 AM   #19
BigBuddhaPup
Steelers lovin' canine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar Rick View Post
BBP, I think I would have to say I'm an Agnostic. I always thought that an Atheist believed there was [I]no[I] God. I really don't know. As a child I was forced to go to church and was even baptized. I attribute that to being young and very impressionable. I was caught under the spell of a slick evangelist. I despise being with people at a meal and them stopping everything for a prayer recited aloud. I think that is uncalled for. Why do Christians have to try pulling everyone else into their beliefs? Everyone who needs to pray, can do so to themselves. My other pet peeve is door-to-door pests, asking me "have you been saved?" It's especially bad in NC and GA.
For Christmas we celebrate like many people do. We have a tree, have our kids over, eat, drink and be merry. I am very concerned that the separation of church and state is narrowing.
rick
I would say I am an agnostic, as in we don't have starting point of the universe/multiverse... but I am also an atheist, as in there isn't a god(s), it is simply a man-made creation to fit into the "what we don't know yet" hole that will always be there...

I, as you know, grew up in NC as well... My family is southern baptist, my grandfather is a primitive baptist preacher, I am well versed on their brand of Christianity... the thing is it is part of the religion to recruit(testify) to others, I am not fond of the practice either...I have had people come to my door where I live now(NH) and want to leave pamplets, or invite me to their religion....you would think they would the hint when they have to walk past my truch with the bumpersticker in plain view that says "Militant Agnostic: I don't know, and neither do you"...but they still come... now if I see them coming, I just let my dogs out on my deck to say "hi"...

Absolutely, family, friends, eat, drink and be merry...

I agree about being wary of a Theocracy...

"So it goes"
Old 12-20-2006, 11:47 AM   #20
AmpleSound
Grizzled Veteran

AmpleSound is on a distinguished road

Alright, well Christians don't go door to door and try to talk you into their beliefs... Christians as a whole should accept everyone with an open mind, heart, and eyes for what ever they choose! It is the Mormons, and the Jehovah's Witness that go door to door bugging the hell out of you!

As far as Atheists and Agnostics go: Atheists do not believe in God or a "higher being"... Agnostics believe there is a God, but do not choose to accept any form of religion to "worship" God.

To me religion should never be forced upon people, but as far as prayer goes... If you have a problem, and no one else at the table does... Whynot just get up go out of the room and comeback when the "open" prayer is done. If they are true to their religion or what not, then they shouldn't judge you for not partaking in their prayer... I'm set on the fact of "No religions, just Jesus!" I don't like organized religion, and honestly I don't think Jesus did either... He taught mostly outside, saying that "church" isn't really an indoors place that you go to. There is a pretty cool bikers church called "Set Free", and the whole "No religions, just Jesus!" is their slogan.

I smoke pot, I drink booze, and I'm not married but live with my fiance! Oh no is God going to strike me down... I don't believe so, I've accepted Jesus as my Savior, and I try to be a good person as He did teach!
Old 12-20-2006, 12:05 PM   #21
BigBuddhaPup
Steelers lovin' canine

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmpleSound View Post
Alright, well Christians don't go door to door and try to talk you into their beliefs... Christians as a whole should accept everyone with an open mind, heart, and eyes for what ever they choose! It is the Mormons, and the Jehovah's Witness that go door to door bugging the hell out of you!

As far as Atheists and Agnostics go: Atheists do not believe in God or a "higher being"... Agnostics believe there is a God, but do not choose to accept any form of religion to "worship" God.

To me religion should never be forced upon people, but as far as prayer goes... If you have a problem, and no one else at the table does... Whynot just get up go out of the room and comeback when the "open" prayer is done. If they are true to their religion or what not, then they shouldn't judge you for not partaking in their prayer... I'm set on the fact of "No religions, just Jesus!" I don't like organized religion, and honestly I don't think Jesus did either... He taught mostly outside, saying that "church" isn't really an indoors place that you go to. There is a pretty cool bikers church called "Set Free", and the whole "No religions, just Jesus!" is their slogan.

I smoke pot, I drink booze, and I'm not married but live with my fiance! Oh no is God going to strike me down... I don't believe so, I've accepted Jesus as my Savior, and I try to be a good person as He did teach!

It is usually Baptists that come knockin' on my door...but nvm, not important..

"Word History: An agnostic does not deny the existence of God and heaven but holds that one cannot know for certain whether or not they exist. The term agnostic was fittingly coined by the 19th-century British scientist Thomas H. Huxley, who believed that only material phenomena were objects of exact knowledge. He made up the word from the prefix a-, meaning "without, not," as in amoral, and the noun Gnostic. Gnostic is related to the Greek word gnōsis, "knowledge," which was used by early Christian writers to mean "higher, esoteric knowledge of spiritual things"; hence, Gnostic referred to those with such knowledge. In coining the term agnostic, Huxley was considering as "Gnostics" a group of his fellow intellectuals—"ists," as he called them—who had eagerly embraced various doctrines or theories that explained the world to their satisfaction. Because he was a "man without a rag of a label to cover himself with," Huxley coined the term agnostic for himself, its first published use being in 1870."- Dictionary.com

""What is atheism?"

Atheism is characterized by an absence of belief in the existence of gods. This absence of belief generally comes about either through deliberate choice, or from an inherent inability to believe religious teachings which seem literally incredible. It is not a lack of belief born out of simple ignorance of religious teachings. Some atheists go beyond a mere absence of belief in gods: they actively believe that particular gods, or all gods, do not exist. Just lacking belief in Gods is often referred to as the "weak atheist" position; whereas believing that gods do not (or cannot) exist is known as "strong atheism."
Regarding people who have never been exposed to the concept of 'god': Whether they are 'atheists' or not is a matter of debate. Since you're unlikely to meet anyone who has never encountered religion, it's not a very important debate...It is important, however, to note the difference between the strong and weak atheist positions. "Weak atheism" is simple scepticism; disbelief in the existence of God. "Strong atheism" is an explicitly held belief that God does not exist. Please do not fall into the trap of assuming that all atheists are "strong atheists." There is a qualitative difference in the "strong" and "weak" positions; it's not just a matter of degree. Some atheists believe in the nonexistence of all Gods; others limit their atheism to specific Gods, such as the Christian God, rather than making flat-out denials." - Infidel.org

Just thought it might be interesting to flesh out the definitions a bit...it is easy to see how "weak atheism/agnosticism" do intersect...

"So it goes"

Last edited by BigBuddhaPup; 12-20-2006 at 12:20 PM. Reason: didn't give second quotation a source...
Old 12-20-2006, 12:12 PM   #22
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Heathen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_aloha View Post
So may I ask one of you atheist what you believe happens after you die? Just curious...
The same as when a dog or cat dies.... you cease to be.

tumblr | twitter
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:25 PM   #23
wufpax
cbs refugee

wufpax is on a distinguished road

Buddha...you know I love ya man!

AmpleSound I too have that same sort of belief...I have been living with my fiance for almost 7 years and we have two beautiful daughters...I dont attend church, but I know what's in my heart! I was raised in the bible belt as a Baptist. (no stones ppl) I found too many of them are hypocrits so therefore disassociated myself from the whole thing except my beliefs...I do believe there is a higher power...

I have friends of many beliefs...some athiest, some muslin, and some, I dont know what they are. I have never tried to force my beliefs on any of them. It is there right in society to have their own beliefs, whether we like their beliefs are not!

I will end this with saying...Happy Holidays to you all...!
Old 12-20-2006, 12:31 PM   #24
BigBuddhaPup
Steelers lovin' canine

I am loved! I will look past the Wolfpack thing(WFU fan here)...

Happy Holidays!

"So it goes"
Old 12-20-2006, 12:38 PM   #25
wufpax
cbs refugee

wufpax is on a distinguished road

Good Luck on that Bowl game...picked you guys to win...Somewhere on these boards! :lol:

I overlook you being both a Steelers and WFU fan...:lol:

*side note...I am a Giants fan rooting for the Chargers to win the Super Bowl...how crazy is that...I love Philip Rivers!
Old 12-20-2006, 01:59 PM   #26
BigBuddhaPup
Steelers lovin' canine

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by wufpax View Post
Good Luck on that Bowl game...picked you guys to win...Somewhere on these boards! :lol:

I overlook you being both a Steelers and WFU fan...:lol:

*side note...I am a Giants fan rooting for the Chargers to win the Super Bowl...how crazy is that...I love Philip Rivers!
That will be tough victory for Wake, but they have done it constantly this year...

So this is a romantic/lustful type fixation love with the forementioned Mr. Rivers? Or just a continuation of his NCST days?... Just think if the draft would have went as planned, Philip Rivers would have ended up in Pittsburgh, he was projected around the 11th pick, and he was number one on the Steelers draft board(he worked out for Cowher,too)... But I have to say I am happy with the results as they occurred...

How cool for you would it have been if the Giants would have taken Rivers instead of Manning? Like Christmas morn...

"So it goes"
Old 12-20-2006, 03:41 PM   #27
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuddhaPup View Post
CKFresh,

Maybe agnostic? or deist?

I always loved the gifts...I like giving as much as receiving... Annoying in-laws are always a fine excuse to drink, but the holidays serve that function as well... Yep, I like telling stories of past and the good times..
Yeah, agnostic I guess.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 04:13 PM   #28
Montrovant
Hatecarver

Montrovant is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_aloha View Post
So may I ask one of you atheist what you believe happens after you die? Just curious...
I'm with BBP on this, death is the end of being.

It follows with my lack of belief in any god, don't see any evidence to think anything happens after dying. And I don't see it as a bad thing, as some of a religious nature do; maybe nothing good happens, but nothing bad happens either Not to mention, the whole idea of living forever seems like a bad one to me. Eternity is a long time, it's bound to get boring!
Montrovant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 04:39 PM   #29
IntheNet
Hall of Famer

IntheNet is on a distinguished road

The best way to discover the folly of atheism is to be on a commerical flight and have it suddenly drop 10,000 feet... agnostic and aetheist alike will be praying to God like nobody's business... matter of fact they'll be the ones leading the prayer in the aisle evangelistic like and begging for forgiveness...

I believe the phrase, No Aetheists in Foxholes, has applicability here... they simply believe when it is convenient for them to do so... they will be "saved" in like matter I feel!
Old 12-20-2006, 04:44 PM   #30
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Yeah, Inthenet, keep thinking that everyone thinks like you. Unfortunately, a lot of think, therefore we don't believe the garbage that is in the Bible.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote