Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 12-22-2006, 01:58 PM   #1
IntheNet
Hall of Famer

IntheNet is on a distinguished road
Default Duke LAX Players: Rape Charges Dismissed!

FINALLY!
:thumbup:
Thank God!

SPORTS ILLUSTRATED

DURHAM, N.C. (AP) -- Prosecutors dropped rape charges Friday against three Duke University lacrosse players accused of attacking a stripper at a team party, but the three still face kidnapping and sexual offense charges, a defense attorney said. Joseph Cheshire and attorneys for the other players have said for months the woman told several different versions of the alleged assault. Cheshire said Friday that the accuser now says she does not know if she was penetrated, which he said led District Attorney Mike Nifong to dismiss the rape charges.

I want Nifong fired...
I want Nifong arrested...
I want Nifong to lose his license...
Old 12-22-2006, 02:08 PM   #2
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

What a shocker. She does not know if she was penetrated or not? Is there a possiblity that she may have been lying about the entire situation?

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 02:12 PM   #3
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Why exactly do you want Nifong to lose his job, arrested, etc?
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 02:16 PM   #4
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

Nifong is doing what a prosecutor should do -- bringing charges against people based on what an accusor says. As the evidence falls apart in the case, charges are dropped. I have no problem with him doing his job.

Catman
Old 12-22-2006, 02:27 PM   #5
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

That's what I was about to respond with, catman, however, I asked the question because Nifong may have done some things in the press that InTheNet may have disagreed with. If he feels that Nifong went beyond the scope of the position to get personal attention, that sort of thing.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 02:33 PM   #6
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

He may have made a few statements that were beyond what the normal person would consider acceptible, but his focus has been on the case at hand.
I, too, would like to hear the reasons for the demands.

Catman
Old 12-22-2006, 02:33 PM   #7
IntheNet
Hall of Famer

IntheNet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Nifong is doing what a prosecutor should do -- bringing charges against people based on what an accusor says.
Sorry catman... you left out the most important part... a DA needs to make an assessment of the charge based on the likely evidence... you don't ruin peoples lives based on the word of a prostitute without evidence... if all the facts originally available to Nifong were brought to the Grand Jury, charges would never have been leveled!

Nifong used this case to get re-elected and ruin people's lives. I hope the same happens to him. District Attorney Offices across the nation level legitimate rape charges based on accusor's word but they do so after reviewing all the evidence and doing so without alterior motives... Even I knew this prostitute was lying and said so back then...

When all this is said and done, Nifong will be found guilty of reprehesible behavior as a DA and be removed from office. Whether he is charged is another matter but we can all hope...
Old 12-22-2006, 04:11 PM   #8
wufpax
cbs refugee

wufpax is on a distinguished road

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: InTheNet!

Even though I'm not a Duke fan(should be obvious). This whole situation is bogus...how could she not remember that...If she was that intoxicated(looked like she arrived that way)...her "friend" should have never brought her there in the first place.

I do not condone all the actions that took place with the guys/girls...a hard lesson has been learned from this... Now they are tarnished for life, along with the school's reputation...

Nifong should get the best punishment allowed for his actions...I said when I first heard it...It was all a political ploy! Could I have been anymore correct?
Old 12-22-2006, 05:38 PM   #9
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Nifong may very well lose his job as there is a movement afoot to bring the Attorney General in to do a federal audit/review or whatever they call it on this case as some of the state's elected officials are convinced Nifong has not followed proper procedures and protocols from the onset of this case.

It has recently come out that the accuser is about to give birth to a baby. Now, it has already been established that she was given a pregnancy test at the hospital at the time she reported the rape and it came up negative. I cannot help but wonder if this played a role in the prosecutors dropping the rape charges as well seeing as the defense would likely have a field day over her going out and sleeping around within days of supposedly being raped.

It has also come out recently that the prosecution found DNA samples of several different people when they took samples from the accuser none of which were a match of the accused.

If these guys walk I can only imagine the lawsuits that are going to come of this.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 02:50 AM   #10
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

Again, the prosecutor is to bring charges to a grand jury when a criminal complaint is sworn out by someone in his/her jurisdiction. If the voters of his/her juristiction feel s/he has overstepped the bounds of the office, the remedy is to remove him/her from the office, either by petition or through the usual ballot.
If the voters of this district feel Nifong has overstepped his bounds, he may be removed from office through the proper procedures. Will these procedures be followed in this case? I hope so.

Catman
Old 12-23-2006, 04:23 AM   #11
Ravana
Revolution w/b improvised

Ravana is on a distinguished road

I'm with catman. Procedure first.

Then hang the prick.

He's not going anywhere in the meantime....
Old 12-23-2006, 11:53 AM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Again, the prosecutor is to bring charges to a grand jury when a criminal complaint is sworn out by someone in his/her jurisdiction. If the voters of his/her juristiction feel s/he has overstepped the bounds of the office, the remedy is to remove him/her from the office, either by petition or through the usual ballot.
If the voters of this district feel Nifong has overstepped his bounds, he may be removed from office through the proper procedures. Will these procedures be followed in this case? I hope so.
Well, the thing is he just got re-elected due in large part because he ran against two opponents instead of one and the folks who were simply voting against him could not figure out who to vote for and he is the one who prosecuted the Peterson trial that got all sorts of publicity. He got re-elected, but he did not receive a majority of the vote, just the most votes.
Old 12-24-2006, 05:41 PM   #13
Jaguar Rick
rick in nc

Jaguar Rick is on a distinguished road

I think the grandstanding prosecutor and the alleged "victim" should be locked-up in the same Turkish prison cell.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:08 AM   #14
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

North Carolina Bar Association filed ethics charges against Nifong Thursday:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=2710747
Old 12-29-2006, 02:28 AM   #15
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

Apparently those that matter did not like his responses to their questions in this matter. As I said, I have no problem with the charges being filed, but when the story changed daily, there is a very slim chance that a conviction will be obtained in the case. It was time to drop these charges a long time ago.
This said, I am certain that the Duke LaCrosse team did not behave like "little angels", but the accusor's story did not follow with the evidence collected.
As to Mr. Nifong remaining in office, if the penalty is great enough -- in the case he is found guilty of the charges against him -- he may not have that chance. If he has his license revoked or suspended, he will be unable to fulfill his responsibility to his constituents, therefore, a resignation will be in the offing.

Catman