Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 03-24-2006, 08:34 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Tagliabue stepping down

I'm sure you've all heard by now. Any ideas about who should succeed him? I think Condi Rice would like the job, though she's a little busy nowadays. But this confused me ... what ties does she have to sports? Don't see why she is qualified. At any rate, Tagliabue has had a great tenure and is the best of the major commisioners. The NFL is in much better shape than when he took over, and that's all that matters.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 10:40 PM   #2
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Condi Rice has about as many qualifications to be NFL Commissioner as... say, Paul Tagliabue did when he took over the job.

To be honest, it probably takes someone with a business sensibility (that is, someone lawyerly and political) with a strong will and some semblance of backbone to put forward to both owner and player alike.

I'm not sure that Condi is that kind of person at all. She may have been at one time. She's spent the last four-plus years playing crony, though, so it would difficult to buy her as anything but an owner's pawn...

I don't have any names in my head, but the ones mentioned in the media, particularly by espn's Chris Mortensen seem like the best ones to follow.
Most of us don't know the behind the scenes guys in the NFL's offices. I like what I know of Rich McKay, but PK of SI says he's not a likely candidate this time round. For once, a topic that I'll concede pretty readily to PK. (That may be it, though. Well, that, and Upper NJ HS girl's field hockey.)

The NFL is in better shape than when he took over, but just how good a shape is it, really?
Sure, they have the multi-billion dollar TV contract. They have labor peace for the next five years.

But... so what? Did anyone watch any football last year?

There are all of five quarterbacks who are worthy starters in the entire league. Running backs are no longer of any star quality at all, because none finish a season without an injury. Wide receivers have become the most vile creatures on the field, in many instances overshadowing the officials, who are merely playing their parts by being evil. And then, officiating this past season, never mind the postseason (for these purposes), STUNK out the royal hiney.

Now, I understand that it was my team who won the Super Bowl, and I'm happy and blah blah, but was that one of the worst games you ever saw played, or was it just me? Sure, the officiating left a lot to love, but it usually did this year. Teh SB officials weren't off the mark for the year, which was atrocious. But the gameplay.... terrible.

And, again, my team, I love that they won and all, love how they got there, certainly played the postseason the way a champ should, but... clearly, the Steelers are teh worst SB champs since teh Baltimore Ravens, and the Ravens rank among the worst SB champs EVER. Which means... my Steelers are the second worst team ever to win a SB?

I mean... I don't know.
The league is just too diluted. Too poorly coached, too poorly owned, too overmanaged....

I understand, it's brought financial success, but at what cost to the game itself?

I was honestly rooting for a labor war after this past season. I was wishing for a return, for a little while, anyway, to the days when Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder and whichever other owners wanted to do so would spend obscene amounts of cash to reel in the best players and dominate for a little while. And doesn't a player being tied to his team for six years appeal to anyone else but me? The way it is now (and for the forseeable future), you just discover a guy is good (in NE it's David Givens, in Pit it's Chris Hope) and then he goes somewhere else.
I'm not just waking up to this, btw. It's simply that I've grown tired of the mediocrity and constant changing of unis. I want some consistency for the sake of all that's holy.
The only consistency we've had lately is the New England Patriots being... mostly good, definitely good enough, but truly great? And Belichick, the anti-rockstar coach, being hailed as the next Lombardi... Hey, the guy's good. The system has paid off so far, but... it didn't work well last year, and it doesn't appear they have a system next season, aside from Brady to Branch, or Brady to Watson... which I think we've seen in Indy, doesn't work.

I don't know. Maybe I'm on crystal meth.
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 11:42 PM   #3
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

I have actually heard Donald Trump is interested. If the Qualifications that Doug listed is what is needed then I think Trump could do an alright job. I think it will more likly be someone that is not in the public eye at the present time.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 01:57 AM   #4
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Donald Trump would be an AWFUL NFL Commissioner.
An NFL Commissioner, in today's NFL, must be strong-willed, not a rug-wearing egotist.
An NFL Commissioner, anytime, must be willing to work with all of the owners. Pointing at Al Davis and saying "You're fired!" would not get it done. (As good an idea as it might be to fire Al Davis, only Big Al can fire Big Al.)

An NFL Commissioner, anytime, should not have the financial wherewithal to own his own league. Trump would be a fun owner to have in a league without a salary cap.... for a few years, anyway, till we got tired of his ending each season pointing at the other team, screaming "you're fired" while wearing rings and chains and making other teams' players lick his rug clean.
Old 03-25-2006, 02:43 AM   #5
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

The idea of Trump becoming the commissioner is a concept of endless comedy (if only because it wouldn't happen). He AFLize the product. He would assign his Apprentice charges to figure out a way to snazz up the NFL rule book and then permanently implement the winner's idea.

"I think allowing one quarter of each game to be played on Madden by area auction winners is an idea that's obviously profitable, and in this digital age, people will warm up to the idea a lot faster than the nay-sayers would have you believe. I didn't make my money being a nay-sayer, I made it by staying fresh and on the cutting edge of trends..."

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 06:39 PM   #6
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

The two front runners, whose names escape me, appear to be the number two guy behind Tags and their legal counsel, which, if I am not mistaken is the same job Tags held when Rozelle stepped down.

I heard on the news the other night that Rice has withdrawn her name from consideration due to her current position.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 11:19 AM   #7
IntheNet
Hall of Famer

IntheNet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountaineerDave
Condi Rice has about as many qualifications to be NFL Commissioner as... say, Paul Tagliabue did when he took over the job...
While Dr. Rice would make a good Commissioner, as would Donald Trump, I would personnally prefer a former player to take over. There are lots of these and they should be solicited for the job!

IntheNet
Old 04-07-2006, 12:15 PM   #8
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

A former player can barely hold the line as Union leader (I buy into the conspiracy theories that Upshaw pushed so hard this last CBA round because the players recognize that they're getting a little screwed relative to other big sport athletes, and were growing annoyed with their spine-challenged leadership at negotiations time).
(To say nothing of the big market owners v. little market owners debate...)

The commissioner of the NFL doesn't need to be a name that anyone knows, outside of ownerships and front offices. In fact, it's likely easier for someone without a known name to work the thin line of ownership v player v tv v fan.
I think it's completely ludicrous that all these celebrities (I heard Larry King ask Bill Clinton the other night if he'd consider taking the job. What? Clinton? An NFL commissioner? I don't think so.) being suggested as NFL commissioner is simply media tomfoolery to make interesting what is, in general, a boring discussion. The commissioner will be some guy no one's really heard of or know anything about. And the league will be a better place because of it.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:36 AM   #9
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntheNet
While Dr. Rice would make a good Commissioner, as would Donald Trump, I would personnally prefer a former player to take over. There are lots of these and they should be solicited for the job!

IntheNet
A former player? Are you mad? That will never, ever, happen. There is a reason that no major sports leagues have former players as comissioners. Once you do that you have someone in place who will be able to sympathize with the "plights" of the players and all of a sudden the players start getting just about anything and everything they want when it is time to negotiate the new CBA's.

Like Dave said the commissioner does not need to be some sort of high profile media-type to do the job which is why it is likely to be someone from within the same as it was when Tags got the job.

From what I understand Clinton wants to run the U. N. not the NFL.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote