Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 11-07-2006, 05:12 PM   #16
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
Name the specific team you believe deserves to be in over the ten I have in there and I will go thru it point by point using that team and all ten teams I have listed.
I want to see you try and justify ranking the teams I mentioned over Florida & Auburn.
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 05:57 PM   #17
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Let's do Florida first. I believe the teams you want justifications for are Wisconsin, USC, Notre Dame, WVU, and Rutgers. The real problem stems from the fact that I consider Arkansas the best SEC team as of right now (in accordance with conference record) and they lost by 36 at home and have a SOS ranking of 98. I will again say you only really have to go thru Arkansas to get a higher ranking than any SEC team.

Florida is 8-1 with a SOS ranking of 15.

Wisconsin is 9-1 with a SOS ranking of 61. The deal with this one, as will be the case with most of the complaints, is the fact that Wisconsin has a lone loss to a team that is currently undefeated. If Wisconsin didn't have to play that team (Michigan), I can assume that they would be undefeated in a BCS conference. You CANNOT say the same for the SEC because it all goes back to Arkansas...who got blasted by Southern Cal. We know EVERY team in the SEC is beatable because none of them lost to a team that is currently undefeated. This is why teams like Wisconsin, Notre Dame, WVU and Texas receive praise from me (esp. ND and Texas who got beat out of conference by the undefeateds).

Notre Dame's SOS is #26 with a 8-1 mark. That's similar to Florida. ND got blasted at home while Florida lost on the road. Looks like the Gators get two points there. Problem again though: ND lost to a team that is undefeated and may be undefeated when all is said and done. We can't say that about Florida's only loss cuz Auburn got beat by a team that got destroyed by USC.

WVU's SOS is #49 with a 7-1 mark. Their lone loss was on the road to an undefeated. Their conference has proven that it can compete with the SEC. They edge Florida here.

USC's SOS is #5 with a 7-1 mark. Their lone loss was on the road to an average opponent. However, they get special consideration for destroying the best SEC team in the nation....Arkansas. Arkansas beat Auburn who beat Florida.

Rutgers is undefeated with a weak #101 SOS ranking. Again, if I just go back to my rule of putting Arkansas ahead of all SEC teams, Rutgers wins here too. Arkansas has a home loss and a SOS #98. If I consider Rutgers better than them (which those stats show) then I don't have to go down to Florida...who couldn't beat Auburn...who couldnt' beat Arkansas...who crapped their pants at the sight of the Trojans.

That's how I see it. Look, once Arkansas gets another loss or a few other things happen then you'll probably see an influx of 2 or 3 SEC teams into the bottom half of my top ten. Right now though, the Big Ten has 2 undefeateds and a team with only one loss to one of those undefeateds. Texas, WVU, and ND all lost to an undefeated. Louisville and Rutgers are undefeated in a conference that beat the SEC in the Sugar Bowl last year. That's 8 teams right there.

Last edited by buckeyefan78; 11-07-2006 at 06:40 PM.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:47 PM   #18
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Can't believe I didn't post my list yet.

1) Ohio State
2) Michigan
3) Texas
4) Louisville
5) Auburn
6) West Virginia
7) Florida
8) Notre Dame
9) California
10) LSU

It's OSU, Michigan and everybody else. #3 - #15 are more or less interchangeable. This week should cause a significant shift in the top ten landscape.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 01:09 PM   #19
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Wisconsin is 9-1 with a SOS ranking of 61. The deal with this one, as will be the case with most of the complaints, is the fact that Wisconsin has a lone loss to a team that is currently undefeated. If Wisconsin didn't have to play that team (Michigan), I can assume that they would be undefeated in a BCS conference. You CANNOT say the same for the SEC because it all goes back to Arkansas...who got blasted by Southern Cal. We know EVERY team in the SEC is beatable because none of them lost to a team that is currently undefeated. This is why teams like Wisconsin, Notre Dame, WVU and Texas receive praise from me (esp. ND and Texas who got beat out of conference by the undefeateds).
This is a very valid argument...if you've never seen Wisconsin play a down of football. I'm 100% convinced you have not seen a minute of Badger football this season, however. Because, this argument blows up when you see that Wisconsin, when they play, are nowhere near the caliber of a Top Ten team. The argument that you've made gets them their #16 ranking, when they're probably a 18-24 rank team, tops.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 04:13 PM   #20
The Pirate Bob
All-Star Player

The Pirate Bob is on a distinguished road

Auburn getting punked........Get those SEC teams out of the top 10. They don't belong there.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:56 PM   #21
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pirate Bob View Post
Auburn getting punked........Get those SEC teams out of the top 10. They don't belong there.
Yeah, and Cal got punked too....that leaves USC as the ONLY one left from your glorious Pac 10, and when they lose to Cal (or UCLA or Notre Dame or all of them), then they should get bumped out of the top 10, too.......
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 02:40 AM   #22
The Pirate Bob
All-Star Player

The Pirate Bob is on a distinguished road

Looks like something like this I will guess:

1 Ohio State
2 Michigan
3 Florida
4 USC
5 Arkansas
6 Rutgers
7 Louisville
8 Notre Dame
9 West Virginia
10 Boise State
Old 11-12-2006, 03:08 AM   #23
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Hey, I was actually right about the top ten shifting...

My goodness, I thought these new rules were supposed to make the games shorter. USC-Oregon ends at 11:05. Way to go guys lol...

I think I have West Virginia at #3 now. That's how screwed up the Top Ten got over the past three days.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 03:25 PM   #24
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by da12ken View Post
Hey, I was actually right about the top ten shifting...

My goodness, I thought these new rules were supposed to make the games shorter. USC-Oregon ends at 11:05. Way to go guys lol...

I think I have West Virginia at #3 now. That's how screwed up the Top Ten got over the past three days.
Try stayin' up for that USC game in the East Ken. :redhot:
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote