Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 04-19-2004, 01:23 PM   #1
digital7
Deep South

digital7 is on a distinguished road
Question Make Your Team's 2004 NFL Draft Prediction!

Okay. So I finally took some time and did some research and decided to make my first annual NFL Draft Prediction thread. Anyone is welcomed to post their prospective team's selections. Feel free to be creative, make trades, be the GM for your team. This is supposed to be fun, but please, make it realistic to team needs, draft position and player availability. Also, please post a brief explanation as to why your drafting that player. I'll be posting regarding my team, the Miami Dolphins. In case you have no idea what postion your team will be drafting in, you can visit the NFL Draft Tracker.. www.nfl.com

Miami Dolphins 2004 NFL Draft

Team Needs: OL, WR, S, DE, DT

NOTE: The Dolphins will trade Adewale Ogunleye to the Bears for Chicago's Second Round Pick, OL Aaron Gibson and a conditional pick in the 2005 NFL Draft.

FIRST ROUND:

Miami (20th overall): All indication is that the Fins will further solidify their depleted offensive line - especially at the tackle position which is in shambles. Despite the fact that the Fins have made the OL a priority during the offseason, doesnt negate the fact that it's still a pending issue. Speilman has also made it clear should another quality player be available with the pick, he would make no quams about selecting him. OT Shawn Andrews is the targeted pick at No. 20 for the Fins, however, there is some indication that he might not be available because Pittsburgh, NYJ, Buffalo and even San Francisco have all shown interest in him.

With this pick the Miami Dolphins will trade the pick to Philly.. swap first rounders and Miami will recieve the Eagles second round draft pick. The Eagles will select RB Steven Jackson OSU.

Miami (28th overall) will select WR Lee Evans - Wisconsin

This will further solidify the WR corps and will add yet another weapon to new comer A.J Feeley. It wasnt what they wanted in OT Shawn Andrews but it will give the Fins a backup in case WR David Boston should pull any fiasco's. Coach Jerry Sullivan has assured the Dolphins that Boston will come in with a fresh mind to the organization, however, this will be the best pick available at the time since both Vernon Carey and Andrews will be gone by then.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

SECOND ROUND

Miami (47th overall, via Chicago): The Fins priority still remains the OL and will absolutely stack up on the OL with the next couple of picks. Since their targeted pick was not available they had a plan B. This will be the pick the Fins receive in the Ogunleye trade.

Miami (47th overall) will select OL Nat Dorsey - Georgia Tech

Former Fin's Coordinator and current GT Head Coach, Chan Gailey has been lauding Nat's performance to the Fins for months now. This guy is a monster at 6-7 and has great pass coverage and run blocking. Ive seen this kid play a couple of times and he's a work horse. His skills will superseed and will eventually become a starter sometime during the regular season.

Miami (58th overall, via Philadelphia): As I stated previously the Fins will select from the OL'men group to beef up a very weak line. This will be the pick in return from the First Round swap the Fins did with the Eagles.

Miami (58th overall) will select OG Chris Snee - Boston College

Ive seen Chris Snee play many many times so I know what kind of ability this guy has. At 6-3, 315 lbs this guy could block well, both in pass coverage and run blocking. He has amazingly quick feet for such a big guy and will push for a starting job during training camp. He will be a projected starter next season.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

THIRD ROUND

Miami (87th overall): There has been no denying that the Fins have been looking at OL, WR and Safties in this up and coming draft and this pick will be no exception. Expect the Fins to select secondary help and will most certainly address it with this pick.

Miami (87th overall) will select SS Will Allen - Ohio State

Again, this will add more depth to the secondary and this will be the best available pick for the Fins at No. 87. Ive seen Will Allen play for the last couple of years and although he seems like a project, Ive seen some talent in him and think he could take it to the next level. I dont see him starting anytime soon with the recent pickup's the Fins have done in the offseason, but I do expect him to make a run at the safty postion with in the next couple of years.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

FOURTH ROUND

Miami (119th overall): The Fins will further stack up on the Offensive Line as it's been a priority set before the draft. This pick will add yet more depth to the previous picks selected in the earlier rounds.

Miami (119th overall) will select OG Carlos Joseph - Miami (Fla)

This pick makes me very very happy. Carlos is somewhat of a project pick, but Ive seen this kid play in and play out for the last few years and he's nothing short of spectacular. His run blocking is decent and is pass overage needs help. He tends to stumble off snap on occassion so he def. needs to work on his footing and speed. He's a monster though at 6-6 345 he has the ability to plug that offensive line solidly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SIXTH ROUND

Miami (186th overall): Following the tradition of what Speilman has acknoledged so far for the draft, this is going to be the best available pick.

Miami (186th overall) will select: QB Jason Fife - Oregon

With such a deep draft with other postional players, I feel that the most overlooked position in this draft will be the Quarterbacks. If any indication, for a player like Jason Fife to be available so late in the draft, this would surely be either a 4 or 5th round pick in any other normal draft. Alot of decent QB's have come out of Oregon as of late, A.J Feeley, Joey Harrington, and now Jason Fife. Ive seen this kid play a couple of times and I really like him. He's got a good arm and is quick on his feet and mobile. He isnt a runner though, more as a pocket passer but if he could overcome decision making issues he has, I think he will replace A.J Feeley (a move that was def. ill advised, especially for a second round pick)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

SEVENTH ROUND

Miami (219th & 221st overall): In the later rounds, teams just grab the best available players since most of the skill positional players have been drafted already. There are on many occasions diamonds in the rough found in later rounds, so dont discard these picks.

Miami (219th overall) will select DE Josh Thomas - Syracuse

The kid has good size. Tall and lanky at 6-7 290 he's got somewhat of good mobility for his size. He's had problems learning the system at Syracuse and really didnt fulfill his expectation when he was recruited. This was a pick to try to level off the trade of Ogunleye to the Bears. The Fins have suitable backup DE's though, and have had a good defense the last couple of years.

Miami (221st overall) will select DT Brian Howard - Idaho

Since the Fins arent too deep in the tackle position, it never hurts to add a young one in the draft eh? He's got decent size for a tackle at 6-3 290. He's shown some versatility playing both left and right side DT postions. Was a recruited DE from high school who converted to tackle. Should be a good addition if he makes an impact.

Last edited by digital7; 04-21-2004 at 02:31 PM.
digital7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 04:47 PM   #2
Grizzled Veteran

5280 is on a distinguished road
Default Broncos

I believe the broncons moved up in the draft not for a running back but for a shot at one of the Miami linebackers. If Reggie Williams was still available by the 17th pick the Broncos with take him for the first round. The loss of TO and San Fran picking right before us makes that unlikely. So i'll say ...

17th pick overall
Jonathan Vilma

The second round is tuff and hinges on who they get in the first round. If the broncos get Reggie Williams I think they will pick Teddy Lehman for their first second round pick. If they get a linebacker in the first round I think they will pick a TE either Ben Watson or Ben Troupe should be left in the early second round.

41st pick overall
Ben Watson

Our next second round pick is where I think we'll get a running back. My best guess is Tatum Bell ,Shannahan likes speed and I think he'll still be there in the middle to late second round.

54th pick overall
Tatum Bell

Since the Broncos don't have a fourth round pick and we didn't pickup anybody bigtime for backup QB, I think they are probably going to draft. I know i'm being a homer here but I'm going to say Bradlee Van Pelt. He's mobile, big and strong and a competitor. Shannahan could teach him the finer points and he'll definately be there in the third round.

85th pick overall
Bradlee Van Pelt

After that I don't even wanna try to guess. I'm sure I'll get shot down right off the bat but might as well give it a try.
5280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 05:25 PM   #3
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

5280-- Welcome!! :wavey:

I am firmly in agreement with your belief about the Broncos trade-up. No way they want a running back that early. Vilma or Williams, you're right.

Watson won't be available at #41 (he could go first round, and would be first TE if not for Winslow), but Kris Wilson from Pitt, only a small stretch, should still be.

As for the Steelers, "my team," I'm still percolating. Recently learned that the GM and Coach are at odds about who to draft at #11. GM Colbert wants QB Rivers. Coach Cowher wants DB Hall or DB Robinson. A scout with the team wants to trade down and get OT Shawn Andrews in the first round, DB Colclough and QB Shaub in the second round (assuming they can squeeze a second-rounder out of NO for the #11 pick).

Gotta say, of the three plans, I love the scout's idea.

I'm sure they'll screw it all up somehow, though, and draft Ell Roberson or something dumbass like that.

Dave
Old 04-20-2004, 10:59 AM   #4
saturnbar
Sports Enthusiast

saturnbar is on a distinguished road

Redskins:

Assuming they are unsuccessful in trading up for Gallery, I say they will grab Winslow. Even though he doesn't fit Gibbs' idea of an H back, Gibbs is smart enough to know how much a great tight end can help in the East. Look what Shockey did for the Giants when he was healthy. Personally, I would opt for Sean Taylor. Hopefully, they don't go for Tommie Harris as many are predicting. They may have a need there, but does Harris really have the size? ch
saturnbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 01:10 PM   #5
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

I was all for having Winslow as our first pick. But now I'm jumping on the Sean Taylor bandwagon. We need Defense more than we need another TE and from what I have read, Taylor could slot right in at safety.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:33 PM   #6
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Kornbix is on a distinguished road

Falcons first round: I was going to say Roy Williams of Texas, but I really can't say him no more because it looks as if Mike Williams is not entering which will cause Roy to go before our pick. So I am hoping The Falcons will get Corner DeAngelo Hall from VT because we really need some Secondary help.
Kornbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 03:18 PM   #7
wingsew8
Rookie Player

wingsew8 is on a distinguished road

Lions-

First round take Kellen Winslow. Another weapon downfield with Charles Rogers coming back.

Second round take Chris Perry. Hometown boy would thrive in Detroit.

They sured up the defense through free agency and may sure up the offensive line through trade rumors for Larry Allen. Watch out for this team next year.
wingsew8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 03:21 PM   #8
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

5280-- I need to backtrack. I said Watson would be gone, I was thinking of Troupe. Sorry 'bout that. I'm an idiot.

Pimp--I agree. The Skins, imo, would be better off drafting Taylor at 5 than Winslow. Still, who knows what they'll do? I'm not completely convinced they won't eventually deal away Samuels and something else from next year to get SD's first pick, and then take Gallery away from everyone drooling to snag Oakland's spot.

Kornby-- I'm assuming that you follow the Falcons' news more closely than I do, but I'd just like to say this: The Falcons WILL NOT draft a WR in the first round. M Williams, Ro Williams or otherwise. Just won't, plain and simple. I could see them grabbing Hall, but my money's on Tommie Harris or Vince Wilfork being drafted by Atlanta.

Steelers: QB Ben Roethlisberger in the first round
CB Chris Gamble in the second round
offensive line in the third round

I may have the Steelers names wrong (they may take Rivers 1st, Poole 2nd, whatever db is available that late), but I'm betting they ignore the dire needs (O line and DB) for "franchise quarterback"... despite the fact that a Super Bowl winning franchise QB hasn't been drafted first round since John freakin' Elway...

Dave
Old 04-20-2004, 03:22 PM   #9
Skinswin
Grizzled Veteran

Skinswin is on a distinguished road

I have been saying since Gibbs came back to Washington that his first pick would be Fitzgearld or Winslow. It will be Winslow as Fitzgerald will be gone. Gibbs only knows how to build a winner one way and he is doing the same thing now he did back in the 80's.

He got his RB from Denver and he needs the TE that can catch the short pass and block. Re-incarnation of "The Hogs." That is just how Gibbs is.
Skinswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 03:27 PM   #10
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

wings-- Welcome to the Boards!! :wavey: (I haven't seen you before)

I like the idea for your Lions, but if either Fitzgerald or Ro Williams is available at 6, that might be difficult to pass up.

BTW, I still think the Lions will trade down, though I'm not sure with whom.

RB in the second round... well, a lot of people still like Perry, but... when folks talk about Michigan RBs in the NFL, I can't get the inconsistency of Anthony Thomas or the suckitude of Ron Dayne out of my head. I'd take Greg Jones, if I were Millen.

That said, I'm still hoping the Pats obtained Dillon as tradebait to get picks out of Detroit, 'cause I hate that guy. (Hate's a strong word, but I'm trying to stay consistent in tone toward the trade.)

Dave
Old 04-20-2004, 03:44 PM   #11
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

FSUViking is on a distinguished road

I think it's utterly rediculous to try and predict anything beyond round1.........that being said...

Vikings will take DJ Williams at #19. Alternate choices will be Will Poole, Chirs Gamble, or Karlos Dansby.
FSU: #3 recruiting class in the nation.
FSUViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 06:26 PM   #12
digital7
Deep South

digital7 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by PurpleReign009
I think it's utterly rediculous to try and predict anything beyond round1.........that being said....

:sleepy:
digital7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 10:09 PM   #13
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Quote:
Originally posted by PurpleReign009
I think it's utterly rediculous to try and predict anything beyond round1.........that being said...

In truth, predicted who'll take whom after the first ten picks is folly. It's still fun to think about, Purple.

PFW says the Vikes will take Will Smith. Kiper says DJ Williams, while Scouts, Inc says Jonathan Vilma.

Personally, you might get lucky if either of the LBs are still on the board at 19. I figure one will surprisingly leave the board in the top ten (watch out for Jacksonville), and the other will be snatched up by, if not before, New Orleans.

Dave
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 01:30 PM   #14
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Kornbix is on a distinguished road

Davey boy the ESPN Mock draft said the Falcons were gonna get Roy Williams anyway. Why not get a perfect #2 reciever for Vick? We signed Coleman and Webster and can prolly trade up to get some defense.
Kornbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 03:04 PM   #15
wingsew8
Rookie Player

wingsew8 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the welcome Dave. I like your idea about the Lions not passing on Fitzgerald or Williams, especially Fitzgerald, but I don't see either of them being there at that pick. Plus they drafted Rogers last year and signed Tai Streets to go with Hakim. Winslow would be perfect but the rumor is he'll be gone for Washington the pick before. I say they trade down if Winslow's gone at 6 and draft a running back, ala Stephen Jackson. But you can still get running back quality in the later rounds, and I think Chris Perry could be worth the gamble.
wingsew8 is offline   Reply With Quote