Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 04-10-2002, 12:49 PM   #1
Erickson
Feed Your Niner Addiction

Erickson is on a distinguished road
Default RUMOR: Griffey wants back in Seattle

Rumors are flying Ken Griffey is wanting to go back to the M's. If these rumors are true should the M's try and pull a deal or should they stick with what they have and let Griffey stay in Cincy.

"Now that's a REAL shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."
Erickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 02:25 PM   #2
defska17
All-Star Player

defska17 is on a distinguished road

Why would they want Griffey back? They won 116 games without him last season, and Griffey hasn't been healthy in 3 years. They don't need him, and he doesn't deserve to come back anyways because he was unloyal and left them for the money in the fir$t place.

This is the first Ive heard of this "rumor"...whered you hear it?
defska17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 03:41 PM   #3
Erickson

I heard it on local radio here in Portland and also on News Breaks on ESPN radio.

"Now that's a REAL shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."
Old 04-10-2002, 04:44 PM   #4
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the info, SX Insider. I agree with Def, no way they would want him back. He is injury-prone, overpaid, and just not the same.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 05:28 PM   #5
Erickson

Even if the M's would want him back...there is no way they would put him back in CF....Cameron has been huge for them offensively & defensively since he came over in the trade. He would have to move over to LF, and I doubt that would fly with Griffey.

Old 04-10-2002, 05:33 PM   #6
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

I forget what the situation was regarding Griffey... but if it like that of A-Rod's and he snuffed the Mariners in favor of more dollars.. well, if I were the M's, I'd snuff HIM!!
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 06:29 PM   #7
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

I wouldn't allow Griffey back if he said he would play for free. He made his decision and let him live with it. The NL has been a jinx on him or he's been a jinx on the NL.
Old 04-10-2002, 06:36 PM   #8
Nate
Sports Virtuoso

Nate is on a distinguished road

Griffey is not the player he once was. If the M's decide to allow Griffey to return, my respect for them as an organization would decrease dramatically.

Go Colts! Go Boilers! Go Pacers! [[email protected]nspencer]
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 07:15 PM   #9
Wedge231
Fan of Struggling Teams

Wedge231 is on a distinguished road

Leave him in Cinci. I don't respect players like him or A-rod. All they want is big bucks and then they don't do anything. Texas is still not a contender and Griffey is always hurt it seems.

I'm Back After 5 Months
Wedge231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 11:17 PM   #10
Brandon
is lurking...

Brandon is on a distinguished road

I think everybody's said everything about the M's side of this rumor. But as for Griffey, why would he want to return to the organization that "mistreated" him in his view and didn't take care of him in his final years with the M's? I would think if the organization did that to him in his eyes he wouldn't want back even though they won 116 games last season.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 02:08 PM   #11
TheWittyOne
Grizzled Veteran

TheWittyOne is on a distinguished road

Since Griffey Jr. arrived in Cincinnati, the Reds have steadily declined. Admittedly the pitching has a lot to do with it, and Griffey has been injured so one cannot blame lack of performance on his part. The problem is that the Reds are a low budget team, and Griffey and Larkin account for 1/3 of the payroll while all five starting pitchers combined only make a few million dollars. Unless you have a big budget team, signing a superstar causes the team to be out of balance. This explains why Seattle was pathetic most of the time Griffey was there.
Old 04-11-2002, 04:32 PM   #12
defska17
All-Star Player

defska17 is on a distinguished road

I actually do question his performance, despite his injury. In '94 in 111 games he hit 40 HR, he played the same number of games last year and hit just 22. Obviouslly the situations were different, but thats still a big drop.

And Witty...thats a good point regarding signing superstars on a low budget team. Yet another reason not to want Griffey back.
defska17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 06:05 PM   #13
Erickson

Griffey's agent was on the local radio show here in Portland and he said Griffey is happy in Cincy and has no desire to leave.

Old 04-11-2002, 06:28 PM   #14
Hoosier 1
Grizzled Veteran

Hoosier 1 is on a distinguished road

This is my take on Griffey:

I really used to enjoy watching him play. He is (was) capable of putting up phenomenal numbers.

I respected him as an athlete and a Major League Baseball player until:

1. Even though the fans (who obviously paid his meal ticket) voted for him to appear in the All-Star game and the Home Run Derby, he didn't want to show. He had to be BEGGED to be there.

Who does he think he is? After that, he just DIDN'T show, voted for or not.

2. He more or less flipped the bird at Seattle AND their fans because he wanted to be close to mommy and daddy in Cincy. He whined (out of contract, of course) enough until he got his way. Of course Reds fans were excited. What city wouldn't be excited to get this caliber of a player.

3. He was always injured. *I* believe due to the fact that he didn't give an A effort in off-season work-out.

Again.....he must be good enough not to work-out.

Ultimately, he suffers alot of injuries. Hurting the team and the fans that so whole heartidly welcomed him.

Personally, I'm ecstactic that Cameron flourished. Even being an A's fan, I enjoyed seeing Seattle win without him and Rodriguez.
Proof that a *team* is more important than a couple of whining millionares who just want to get richer.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE watching Griffey play. He just needs to get his head out of his [email protected]@ and join the real world.

WE put the food on his table. Put up.......or retire. There are many other up and coming minor leaguers that would APPRECIATE the people that come to watch them play.
Hoosier 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 02:11 PM   #15
TheWittyOne
Grizzled Veteran

TheWittyOne is on a distinguished road

The Reds were very imprudent when they pursued Griffey. First there was no reason to trade for him. if they waited they could have signed him as a free agent. Second he was having injury problems long before the Reds traded for him. Finally, the Reds could not afford him despite the fact they got him for a bargain. As I mentioned before the Reds are top heavy. When you build a team you have to assume gradual increases in salary as the players mature. With strict budget restrictions and two players making such a large percentage of the payroll the team cannot afford to keep all of their team together. The two players, (in this case Griffey and Larkin) no matter what they contribute, are making more than their share.
I call this approach team-salary balancing. Team wins are the first priority. The object of course is to get the highest win total for the lowest payroll. You have to assume that one player can only contribute up to a maximum amount. It isn't communism since I am not arguing for a 1/25 split. A good example is this years Oakland A's; they let Giambi go and added several lower priced players, and have not dropped off in production. I admit it is a bit fuzzy and subjective, so I would leave it to the mathmeticians to figure it out.