Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz

View Poll Results: What's the Most Difficult to Achieve
Perfect NFL season-Going 16-0 2 28.57%
Triple Crown in Baseball 4 57.14%
Perfect Season in College Hoops 0 0%
Grand Slam in Golf 0 0%
Grand Slam in Tennis 0 0%
Triple Crown in Horse Racing 0 0%
Pitcher Winning 30 Games in Baseball 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-12-2002, 12:53 AM   #1
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough
Default What's the Most difficult to Achieve

I saw this poll on ESPN. I think it is good. Check it out and vote.
Old 04-12-2002, 08:45 AM   #2
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

I was thinking of putting this one up too as I saw it there last night on ESPN.com (though you added an extra option -- pitcher winning 30 games).

Personally, I'd narrow the list down to the perfect NFL record, MLB triple crown, and the PGA grand slam. After that, it's a toss-up. Hmmmm...... maybe take NFL outta there, and so on my list at least, it's a tie between baseball's triple crown and golf's grand slam. I'll randomly flip a coin for the sake of this poll and choose an option . . . heads it golf. ....... aaaaaaannnnnnndddddd..... its tails, so I'm gonna vote baseball for the sake of this poll
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 09:22 AM   #3
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Definitely the NFL record. No team has done that since the '80s, I don't believe. With the salary cap and free agency really preventing long dynasties in the NFL, it is most difficult to put together a perfect season there.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 02:12 PM   #4
Sports Virtuoso

#47 is on a distinguished road

Well let's see, the last team to go undefeated in an NFL season were the 1973 Miami Dolphins.

The last triple crown in baseball was 1967, Carl Yaztremski I think.

Perfect season in college hoops has been done several times, most recently by UNLV in I believe 1990.

Do you consider what Tiger did the Grand slam in golf? He won the 4 majors in a row. Some people consider this the grand slam, others do not because it was not done in the same season. If you don't consider his feat the grand slam, then this hasn't been done in a long time.

Steffi Graf won the tennis grand slam in 1988(i think that was the year, because i think she also won the gold medal in the olympics the same year).

Triple crown in horse racing was done in the 70's a couple of times.

Denny Mcclain won 30 games in 1968 for the Tigers.

So based on what hasn't been done in the longest period of time, it would either be the Triple Crown or Grand Slam in golf if Tiger's doesn't count. So does Tiger's count or no?

Great question though.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
#47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 04:57 PM   #5
defska17
All-Star Player

defska17 is on a distinguished road

I would say Tigers would count...

I narrowed it down to 16-0 season, triple crown, and 30 win season

I honestly feel a 16-0 season is coming from someone, though an "undefeated" season is 19-0, I just dont feel this is as hard to do as it appears. There have been a few 15-1 seasons, havent there?

Pitcher winning 30 games...I dont know, R.J. is on pace for 40 this season, but obviously, that wont happen. I just have a feeling that a 30 win season isnt too far away. Look how many players get 20, so one of those have to get 30 at some point.

In today's day, a triple crown is impossible. To hit for power and average just isnt going to happen. So triple crown gets my vote.
defska17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 05:04 PM   #6
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Hm.... I don't know if Tiger's would count or not. It's pretty close... like Tiger said himself, he's gonna let "us" debate it, but also said, "when you can put all four trophies on the coffee table at once.... you make a good case for it."

The true sense of golf's grand slam -- all 4 in one year -- hasn't been done since Bobby Jones in like the 30s, so based on the last time it was done, I still have it narrowed down to golf and the triple crown. Delgado was close to doing it a few years ago... Luis Gonzalez was close to doing it at the All-Star break last year.... but, like you said, defska17 -- it's just about impossible nowadays.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 06:49 PM   #7
air_canada
Youngster

air_canada is on a distinguished road

NFL record for sure. It's really hard these days!
Old 04-13-2002, 08:16 PM   #8
Brandon
is lurking...

Brandon is on a distinguished road

I think eventually somebody will get a perfect season in the NFL again. Some teams have come really close. A program like Duke could easily rattle off a perfect season in college. Tiger can win the Grand Slam of golf if what he's done already doesn't count. In tennis every once in a while you'll get a real dominating player. In baseball's offensive era, I think somebody will eventually get the Triple Crown. So I voted for the 30 wins. A pitcher averages around 36 starts a year now with the five man rotation. So that would leave 6 starts to lose, get a no decision, which means the bullpen blows it. In this era, I don't think anybody can be that great and consistent. It would take a very, very dominating pitcher with a great bullpen. And even then. The only hope for a 30 game winner is to go back to a 4 man rotation.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote