Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

View Poll Results: Who Should be Number One
Yankees 0 0%
Indians 8 100.00%
Giants 0 0%
Seattle 0 0%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-15-2002, 02:42 AM   #1
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough
Question Profesional Baseball Rankings Week Two

1.-CLEVELAND INDIANS--(11-1)--Indians have won 10 in a row. Who would have thought the Indians would be playing this well. Newcomer and outfielder Matt Lawton has been a Godsend. He is batting .277 with four homeruns and 13 runs driven in. His OBP is .404. Pitcher Bartolo Colon is 3-0. His ERA is 3.00. Indians are 6-0 at home.

2.-SEATTLE MARINERS--(10-3)--Mariners are 7-0 playing on the road. Ruben Sierra went 5-5 with one RBI and one run scored in the win against Texas Sunday. He's been red hot. He is batting .480. Maybe Texas shouldn't have let him go. Seattle received some bad news this weekend. DH Edgar Martinez will be out a month with a hamstring problem. He had surgery. Mariners lead the A.L. in runs scored with 85.

3.-SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS--(9-3)--Barry Bonds is starting where he ended last season. Hitting a bunch of homeruns. He now has seven on the year, He slightly injured himself Sunday. It is a hamstring problem. Pitcher Livan Hernandez is 3-0. He defeated Milwaukee Saturday 3-2. He pitched seven innings and gave up nine hits, but his ERA is 1.88. Giants look very good so far this season all the way around.

4.-NEW YORK YANKEES--(8-5)--Always near the top. Beat Boston Sunday after losing two to them this weekend. Pitcher Mike "Moose" Mussina pitched a gem. He is 3-0 on the young season. His ERA is 1.66. Mariano Rivera got his fifth save in that 6-2 win over Boston. Outfielder Rondell White hit his third homerun of the season. He has been a real plus for the Yankees. Third baseman Robin Ventura too. He hit his fifth homerun in that win Sunday.

5.-ST. LOUIS CARDINALS--(8-4)--Cardinals beat Houston Friday night 7-3. Pitcher Matt Morris improved his record to 3-0. Morris has won eight consecutive start at Busch dating back to July 24th, 2001. Outfielder Jim Edmonds hit two homeruns in that win Friday. That gave him four on the year. J.D. Drew hit his second homerun of the season.

6.-ARIZONA DIAMONDBACKS--(8-5)--Pitchers Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling both are 3-0. Age is not slowing them down. Amazingly, both have a 1.17 ERA. Schilling has 31 strikeouts so far and Johnson 29. The N.L. West is going to be an exciting race.

7.-OAKLAND ATHLETICS--(8-5)--Athletics beat Anaheim 7-2 Saturday. Pitcher Erik Hiljus improved his record to 1-1. He pitched 5 2/3 innings, allowing four hits. Eric Chavez hit his fifth homerun of the season in that game. Pitcher Tim Hudson is 2-0 after beating Anaheim Friday night 5-1. He pitched seven innings, allowing nine hits and one walk. He struckout five.

8.-BOSTON RED SOX--(6-4)--Red Sox have beat Yankees two out of three this weekend at home. Third baseman Shane Hillenbrand has really been hitting the ball well for Boston. Saturday in their 7-6 win, Hillenbrand hit his fourth homerun of the year. Pitcher Pedro Martinez started that game, but could only last 5 1/3 innings. He gave up four earned runs.

9.-NEW YORK METS--(7-5)-Mets lead the N.L. East, but just barely. Second baseman roberto Alomar's bat has finally come to life. In their 6-4 win over Montreal Sunday, Alomar hit two homeruns to give him three on the year. Pitcher Steve Trachsel was the winner. He is 1-2 with an ERA of 2.45. First baseman Mo Vaughn is on the DL again. He broke a bone behind his pinkie finger. He is very injury proned or just unlucky.

10.-MINNESOTA TWINS--(8-5)--Twins swept the lowly Detroit Tigers this weekend. They won Sunday 13-7. Torii Hunter went 2-4 with three RBI's and one run scored. DH David Ortiz went 1-1 with three RBI's, that resulted from his triple he hit.

11.-CINCINNATI REDS--(7-5)-Ken Griffey Jr. will be out anywhere from three to six weeks. Nothing new there. Griffey has been injured since he came over from the A.L. it seems. Reds beat Pittsburgh Thursday night 3-2 behind the pitching of Jimmy Haynes who is now 1-1. He struck out six. Juan Encarnacion hit his third homerun of the season. He came over from Detroit this year. I bet Detroit would like to have him back.

12.-CHICAGO WHITE SOX--(6-5)--Frank Thomas seems to be playing baseball like he use to. He has hit three homeruns and driven in nine runs so far this season. White Sox beat Baltimore 5-2. Pitcher Mark Buehrle improved his record to 3-0. He pitched seven innings and allowed only two hits. Ray Durham, Jose Valentin and Sandy Alomar homered in that game.

13.-PITTSBURGH PIRATES--(6-5)--Pirates have played some good ball so far this year. They beat the Chicago Cubs Saturday 3-2. Pitcher Josh Fogg improved his record to 2-0. His ERA is 0.64. He pitched seven innings, allowing only three hits and he struckout six. Second baseman Pokey Reese has been a great addition to this team. He is currently batting .300.

14.-TORONTO BLUEJAYS--(6-6)--They are second in the majors with 81 runs scored. They beat Tampa Bay Friday night 14-7. Justin Miller was the winning pitcher. He is 1-0. Slugger Curtis Delgado hit his third homerun of the year. He had three RBI's. He is batting .410 and has four homeruns and 12 runs batted in on the season.

15.-LOS ANGELES DODGERS--(6-6)--Dodgers beat San Diego Friday night 3-0, behind the pitching of Kazuhisa Ishii. What a great find for the Dodgers. He allowed two hits in six innings of work. He struck out five.

16.-MONTREAL EXPOS--(6-6)--Expos have played well so far. Montreal beat Florida Wednesday 9-7. Pitcher Carl Pavano was the winner. He struckout six through 6 1/3 innings. Catcher Michael Barrett has been a pleasant surprise this season so far. In that win he hit his fourth homerun of the season, Jose Vidro went 3-4 with one run scored and one hit was a double.

17.FLORIDA MARLINS--(6-6)-Marlins beat Braves Sunday 7-0 behind the pitching of A.J. Burnett. Burnett pitched a complete game shutout. He struckout eight. His ERA is 2.90. Catcher Ramon Castro hit two homeruns. His first two of the year. He went 3-3 with three RBI's. Derek Lee hit his fourth homerun. Mike Lowell went 3-5 with one RBI and one run scored.

18.-HOUSTON ASTROS--(5-7)--Astros are not really pitching well right now. They rank 15th in the NL with an ERA of 5.10. They did beat St. Louis Sunday 5-4. Pitcher Shane Reynolds improved his record to 2-1. Closer Billy Wagner earned his first save. Jeff Bagwell went 2-3 with one run scored. He hit his third double of the year in that contest.

19.-SAN DIEGO PADRES--(6-6)--Padres are 5-1 playing at home. They beat Los Angeles Sunday 1-0 behind the pitching of Brian Lawrence. He is now 2-0. Closer Trevor Hoffman earned his fifth save.

20.-ATLANTA BRAVES--(6-7)--Braves have the offensive power, but lately their hitting has escaped them. The good news was that pitcher Greg Maddux came off the DL and won his first game against Florida Friday. Atlanta won 2-0. Outfielder Chipper Jones hit his second homerun of the season in that game.

21.-PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES--(6-7)--Phillies beat Cincinnati 3-1 Sunday, behind the pitching of Vicente Padilla. He is now 2-1 and has an ERA of 0.90. Third baseman Scott Rolen may not want to be in Philadelphia, but he is playing his heart out. Rolen is batting .280 with three homeruns and nine runs batted in.

22.-TAMPA BAY DEVIL RAYS--(5-6)--Rays have hope. Detroit may be the worst team in baseball instead of them. They beat Toronto 5-4 Sunday. Pitcher Wilson Alvarez was the winner. Outfielder Randy Winn went 2-5 in that contest. He hit his third double of the season also. He leads his team in RBI's with 10.

23.-CHICAGO CUBS--(4-7)--Cubs are as snakebitten as Boston. They acquired Moises Alou from Hosuton during the off-season and now he starts the season on the DL. Fred McGriff hasn't started hitting yet. McGriff is batting .220. Slugger Sammy Sosa has five homeruns.

24.-ANAHEIM ANGELS--(4-8)--Angels fans are disappointed with their slow start. They figured their starting pitching would perform much better, since they acquired Aaron Sele from Seattle. Sele is 0-2 with an ERA of 9.90.

25.-KANSAS CITY ROYALS--(4-6)--Isn't it time for manager Tony Muser to move on? Second baseman and in his first year with the Royals, Chuck Knoblauch has played real well for his new team. He hit a grandslam against Boston(they still lost) and stole four bases against Cleveland for a career high.

26.-COLORADO ROCKIES--(4-9)--Pitchers Mike Hampton and Denny Neagle have been a bitter disappointment for this club. Hampton is 0-3. His ERA is 10.26. Manager Buddy Bell will probably lose his job soon. Infielder Todd Zeile leads the team in batting with a .375 average.

27.-BALTIMORE ORIOLES--(3-8)--Orioles are in a tough division and have an owner most don't like. This was once a proud franchise. Makes me sad to see them this way. 25 year old outfielder Jay Gibbons has a bright future ahead for him.

28.-MILWAUKEE BREWERS--(3-9)--Another team that is in terrible shape. I don't like anything Bud Selig has to do with, even if it is through his daughter. They beat SF Sunday 4-3. Richie Sexson hit his fourth homerun of the season in that needed win.

29.TEXAS RANGERS--(3-9)--Rangers still have no pitching. No good starting pitching-no winning. Swept by Seattle this weekend. Alex Rodriquez did hit two homeruns and drive in five runs in Sunday's 9-7 loss. He has four on the year.

30.-DETROIT TIGERS--(0-11)-Worst start since 1920. The Chicago Cubs went 0-14 in 1997. So it's not all bad. Craig Paquette of the Tigers hit two homeruns Sunday in that 13-7 loss to Minnesota. He went 4-4 with two doubles also.

Written by Keith Thronson Mobile, Alabama
Old 04-15-2002, 03:57 PM   #2
defska17
All-Star Player

defska17 is on a distinguished road

Based on the first 2 weeks, Cleveland. And based on the first 2 weeks, I dont believe the Yanks should be in the top 5....theyve lost 5 of 6 including 3 of 4 to the Red Sox.

The Padres should be higher then 19. We started the season with 6 games that ANY team would have struggled with. And by ANY team I include Cleveland, Seattle...ANY team. We faced Johnson and Schilling to start the season. Then took Bonds and the Giants in San Franciso in the middle of Bonds' early season tear. When we did come home, we started with a 3 game sweep of the defending World Series Champions, and then took 2 of 3 from LA. I think our last 6 games better sum up the Padres then our first 6, especially since our team is a whole now (Klesko and Jones off their suspensions).
defska17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 11:00 PM   #3
Wedge231
Fan of Struggling Teams

Wedge231 is on a distinguished road

From what I saw, the rankings are for the most part accurate.

I'm Back After 5 Months
Wedge231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 11:03 PM   #4
NickHammy
Sports Virtuoso

NickHammy is on a distinguished road

You know I like it
Old 04-15-2002, 11:48 PM   #5
Brandon
is lurking...

Brandon is on a distinguished road

I'm really surprised about how weak the NL East has been so far this year. Not good.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 11:02 AM   #6
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

I am too SC. I figured with the Mets new and improved lineup they would be bad to the bonne, but that starting pitching has not been too good. The Atlanta Braves are not hitting, even though they have Sheffield, Castilla, Jones and Andruw Jones. At least not hitting enough to win. Florida has been a bust with their starting pitching. A.J. Burnett has tossed well though. Montreal may surprise us all and win that division.
Old 04-16-2002, 11:14 AM   #7
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road

My Jays have not a bad record now standing at 6-6. We really need a healthy Mike Sirotka to become our Ace because we may be 2nd in RBI's but 2nd last I believe in team average ERA which isnt good.
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 01:39 PM   #8
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

True Toronto has the hitting, but not the pitching to complete. I really like Carlos Delgado. He could hit 50 homeruns this season. Isn't Jose Cruz Jr still on the team?
Old 04-16-2002, 01:45 PM   #9
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Yes Jose Cruz is still on the team and batting very well. I also believe Delgado can hit over 50.
Old 04-16-2002, 10:28 PM   #10
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

The J is on a distinguished road

Despite their record, Cleveland is not the best team in baseball, sorry guys. It's just one of those things, they'll fade, not completely, but they're not going to win 116, I'll guarantee you that much. They'll make a playoff run, but won't keep up this pace.
San Fransisco and Seattle are 1 and 2. Seattle is Seattle, nuff said, and the Giants have great starting pithing, their offense is great and they come to play every day. As for teh Jays, they could win 80 or 81, but that's it. Delgado is always a threat, I expect around 46 from him this season. The Jays aren't going anywhere, yet.
Old 04-16-2002, 11:02 PM   #11
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

I agree Cleveland is not the best team in baseball, but they are right now. I think someone else will hold the number one in just a few weeks or shorter.
Old 04-17-2002, 08:39 PM   #12
Wedge231
Fan of Struggling Teams

Quote:
Originally posted by bama4256
I figured with the Mets new and improved lineup they would be bad to the bonne, but that starting pitching has not been too good.
What are you talking about? The Mets are 2nd in the majors in ERA.

The hitting has been bad. They're near the top in runs but have a team average in the low 200's.

I'm Back After 5 Months
Old 04-17-2002, 10:42 PM   #13
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

Your correct the Mets rank second in the NL in overall pitching with an ERA of 2.32. Pedro Astacio has been great. He is 3-0 with an ERA of 1.96 I was wrong. I'm sorry-I should have researched before commenting. Thanks for setting me straight.
Old 04-17-2002, 11:34 PM   #14
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Everyone knows the best team are those Yanks
Old 04-17-2002, 11:44 PM   #15
Wedge231
Fan of Struggling Teams

I can understand where you may have been coming from bama. Some of the games have been high scoring but it is mostly due to errors. The most earned runs given up by a Met starter was the other night by Estes (6). Leiter has given up 7 unearned runs this season I believe.

The Yankees are 9-7... Not even in first place!

I'm Back After 5 Months