Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Hockey

Old 01-07-2004, 05:20 PM   #1
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road
Default Lemieux, done for the season

Not only do I still question as to why Mario came back in the first place, but what's the point of trying to come back next year, if there IS a next year of course. There is no way that team will be staying in Pittsburgh, so why would he want to come back and play with a garbage team right now? I at least hope he'll be ready for the 2004 World Cup. Team Canada still needs leadership from a guy like that.
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 08:02 PM   #2
Loser
Grizzled Veteran

Loser is on a distinguished road

:uhoh: :uhoh:

There's still a chance that the Penguins will remain in Pittsburgh. If they get a good CBA and a new arena, expect them in Pittsburgh for a while. Don't rule them out until they are in Portland or Winnipeg.

And if Mario isn't playing on the Penguins next year, I gaurentee you he won't be playing for the 2004 World Cup.

And I don't expect Mario to throw in the towel yet. He's as talented as he is stubborn. He loves the game, and will continue to play until he physically can't anymore. (Which may be now..)
Old 01-07-2004, 08:39 PM   #3
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

I just don't get it, what's the point of him playing right now with Pittsburgh? He wasn't bringing in fans, because they don't care about hockey anymore since their team can't compete. I will never understand the motivation of him coming back in the first place.
Old 01-07-2004, 11:18 PM   #4
Loser
Grizzled Veteran

Loser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I will never understand the motivation of him coming back in the first place.
Let me try to explain it to you..

Think of something that you love most in your life. Now take that away for 3 years. And then after the third year you have the opportunity to come back and have that thing you love most back in your life. Now are you telling me that you wouldn't jump at the chance to have that?

(How about this..)

You love sex and are very good at it. But the doctors tell you that you can't have sex anymore because your equipment is injured. So you rest and don't have sex for a while. Then finally all your "equipment" is back in working order and you are able to go back to having sex again. (Yes your equipment doesn't work as well as it use to, and you still have pain doing it, but the brief pleasure that you get out of it, is worth the pain you have to endure.)

Does that make sense?
Old 01-08-2004, 03:24 AM   #5
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

I don't like that example, but that's a different story.

Here is my point, yeah he loves the game of hockey. But why would he come back and tarnish his career by playing for Pittsburgh? Everybody knows the team is horrendous, and everybody knows that people don't care about the game anymore down there. Him coming back was meaningless, in my eyes. I'd love to see Mario play, don't get me wrong, but I'd like so see him be a part of something if he were to play. The orginization has no chance of staying put, very very little chance. Just look at the way Mario is leaving, on the shelf. It's too bad.

Last edited by Bran; 01-08-2004 at 03:28 AM.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:11 AM   #6
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

The reason???

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

He is still owed like $13 million from pre-1997 days. By comming back, I think he thought that he could get this team on track and get some of that money back.

Mario is still one of the best players in the NHL. He hasn't tarnished his image like Jordan did, I don't think... He can still play with the best of them... but he's injured most of the time, and that's too bad. I guess he did tarnish his image in the sense that he didn't leave on his own terms and is a day-to-day player... but when he DOES play, he is always the best player on the ice.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote