Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 08-06-2005, 12:09 AM   #1
190 Octane
All-Star Player

190 Octane is on a distinguished road
Default Las Vegas to host 2007 All-Star Game

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...pic.php?t=6975

A tad belated with this bit of news, but for those who hadn't heard or care to discuss, Vegas was chosen to host the 2007 NBA All-Star Game.

Some are thinking this is a test to see how an NBA franchise might fair in Sin City. Whether that would be an expansion team or an already-existent franchise (Atlanta, anyone?) is one of the angles to this possibility. What is your stance on a professional sports franchise in Las Vegas?

Blog
190 Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 12:17 AM   #2
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

I think it would work fi they do what they are doing with the allstar game and that is not allow any betting on it in the town. Also because of the easy access to gambling I don''t think it could be an MLB team but a NBA team would work.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 09:30 AM   #3
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

blackdogsong is on a distinguished road

no one in their right mind is going to bet on an all-star game so the NBA is safe w/ this one.

the NFL will never allow a Las Vegas team... they dont allow the city to run ads during NFL games and are thinking about telling NBC they cant run ads for their program "Las Vegas" during sunday night football... how silly is that? the NFL is the best sport to bet on yet they don't own up to it...

as for a sports team in Vegas i think it's a great idea. i'd love to go to the MLB park w/ a poker room that overlooks the field. its just as easy to bet on team who's stadium is in New York as it is if they are in Vegas. who cares?
blackdogsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 10:09 AM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Dude, there are people out there who bet on preseason football so I am sure there are plenty of folks who bet on all-star games. They would not have a point spread for the game if nobody bet on it.

In the long run I doubt a pro sports team would survive in Vegas. The primary reason teams don't draw well in Atlanta and New Orleans are that there is too many other things to do and the city does not have a large enough population a-la New York, Chicago, and L. A. to support both a pro sports team and the night life scene that happens in those cities.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 02:01 PM   #5
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

blackdogsong is on a distinguished road

a Vegas team would be a great success or a total failure. they have a lot of tourism so there are plently of people to fill seats. however, the real money is w/ season ticket holders and luxry seating and i don't know if that would work out since it's basicly a tourism-only town.
blackdogsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 11:03 PM   #6
The Executioner
All-Star Player

The Executioner is on a distinguished road

All I know is having an All Star Game is just going to be The Greatest Thing of All Time/ Horrible- depending how you see things. There will be no problems getting the players there. Imagine Allen Iverson, Vince Carter, or Tracy Mcgrady the night before the game, my God. The game the next day should be a laughing stock. The players will not care a lick about the game. But... the NBA will probaly put tight security on the players, making sure they don't get into trouble.

bring on the Trojans, Longhorns too!
The Executioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 12:10 AM   #7
190 Octane
All-Star Player

I find it ironic that the NBA bigwigs are considering this a measuring stick for the city's franchise hopes. An all-star game wouldn't be an accurate barometer for how an NBA franchise would fair in Vegas. There's no question it will sell out - it's the All-Star Game, it's Vegas. That's a no-brainer.

It's a whole different ballgame for an actual team. For one thing, the Thomas & Mack is the only viable basketball venue in the city. NBA teams like to have their own identity, which means not sharing any spotlight with the local college teams - arenas included. Another point, a franchise is going to be bad, whether it's an expansion team or a nomad franchise. Tourists will show up, but the season ticket buyers won't be buying. Just ask the post-Tark UNLV teams about that.

Blog
Old 08-11-2005, 09:21 AM   #8
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Las Vegas will never be a successful major sports market. I just don't see the residents of Vegas and Nevada running out to buy season tickets if say the Hornets or Hawks were relocated there. There's just simply too much else to do that a losing basketball team would draw horribly. The same goes for baseball and hockey. As some already mentioned, the NFL will never go to Las Vegas.

Other than Vegas, the NBA has pretty much gone into every major market in the United States and the only viable ones in Canada other than Montreal. However, after the failure of the Grizzlies in Vancouver and the struggles of the Raptors in Toronto, I doubt that the NBA will be headed to the Great White North again anytime soon. The only logical choices left would be going into repeat markets such as St. Louis and Kansas City.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:29 PM   #9
190 Octane
All-Star Player

Considering how much the sport has grown in Latin American nations, does anyone think Mexico City could ever get a franchise?

Blog
Old 08-11-2005, 01:50 PM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

No, not anytime soon for basketball. Does Mexico even field a national team for basketball? Mexico does not seem to be a basketball crazy country like they are for baseball and soccer. The NFL has done quite well playing exhibition games down there. But, if any of the Big Four sports move into Mexico I think it will be MLB before anyone else does.

I pretty much agree with Alex and Octane I don't see a pro sports franchise surviving in Vegas just due to the city being so reliant upon tourism. Minus the tourism there really is not much of a fanbase to build on out there.

Stern seems more interested in cultivating the European market and getting franchises set up over there.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote