Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 11-19-2007, 09:50 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default Kansas brass blew it...

This week #2 Kansas and #4 Missouri will play for the Big Twelve North Championship. The game also has BCS Championship implications.

Last year the University of Kansas decided to "sell" the game to Kansas City and hold it at Arrowhead Stadium (home of the NFL's Chiefs).

Done for financial gain, the move has clearly backfired in the face of Kansas.

With national attention squarely focused on the game the University of Kansas will be unable to showcase its facilities, campus and entire "experience" to recruits as well as the media and all the benefits that carries.

ESPN's Gameday will broadcast from the parking lot at Arrowhead Stadium on Saturday. They had originally planned on holding the show in Lawrence and just driving over for the game at night (7 pm local start) because previous crowds at neutral site contests for Gameday have been small and not very energetic. One such example was a previous Big Twelve Championship Game. Officials from Kansas, Missouri and ESPN are currently working out details to get people into the parking lot at Arrowhead for the morning show. Some snags have resulted because folks are simply going to Arrowhead's website where info regarding tailgaiting for NFL games is still up. ESPN's Kirk Herbstreit was told that the crowd for the game will be roughly 70-30 in favor of the Jayhawks. That's a far cry from what they would have got for a traditional home game in Lawrence.

Moral of the story: DO NOT PLAY NEUTRAL SITE GAMES IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL.

Last edited by buckeyefan78; 11-19-2007 at 10:07 PM.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:59 PM   #2
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

Ouch Damn. $$$$ over lastin success i guess. If I was Mangino I would be seeing if Michigan is interested. He won't be able to sustain it. Mark Consult Schiano over what you should do.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:06 PM   #3
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Mangino doesn't have any ties to the Michigan program though. He was an assistant under Tressel at Youngstown State. That's his only connection to the Big Ten.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:08 PM   #4
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

I was just using that as an example because that is the one big job we know is avaliable. Point being that if he gets a big offer don't be like Schiano take the deal it is hard ot build a new consistent power.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:20 PM   #5
Dano
Everybody Wang Chung...

Dano will become famous soon enough

I heard it wasn't a money issue to take the game to Kansas City, Word is Mangino said KC has much better buffet's than Lawrence.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:21 PM   #6
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

I think his dream Job is Kentucky. Based on the fact that he could live at the KFC plant.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:27 PM   #7
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

What are your thoughts buck. Could this last or should he bolt for a big time job if the oppurtunity presents itself.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:28 PM   #8
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by davematthews3 View Post
I was just using that as an example because that is the one big job we know is avaliable. Point being that if he gets a big offer don't be like Schiano take the deal it is hard ot build a new consistent power.
Well, this is a huge blow to KU in terms of building the program. USC-ASU is on Thursday with LSU-Ark on Friday. They had Saturday night all to themselves and now some rib joint in KC is gonna benefit...not the university in Lawrence.

Mangino has some options cuz he's close with Tressel and Stoops (from his days in Youngstown). I don't think he's meant to coach at a 1st-tier school though.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:02 AM   #9
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Pittsburgh had a lot of success when Heinz Field originally opened. A lot of talk about their recruiting success centered around a showcase of NFL quality facilities. Kansas has a chance playing a game in an NFL stadium to show off both their facilities, which I don't know a whole lot about, and also an atmosphere more similar to pro football.

I think the key is to know their recruits. Which ones will be impressed by the college atmosphere and which ones would enjoy seeing the game in this particular environment. Not every recruit has the same preferences. I think if they take a kid who wants to see a traditional college atmosphere to Arrowhead, I agree that it would backfire. But, I don't necessarily think that every kid would react the same way. Just comes down to knowing your recruits.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:37 AM   #10
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78
ESPN's Kirk Herbstreit was told that the crowd for the game will be roughly 70-30 in favor of the Jayhawks. That's a far cry from what they would have got for a traditional home game in Lawrence.
But there will also be 30,000 more people in the stands at sold-out Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City than there would have been in Memorial Stadium in Lawrence. Plus, Arrowhead Stadium is the loudest stadium in the country, and the 56,000 KU fans on-hand will ensure an "experience" is felt.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:11 AM   #11
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

Nevertheless I think KU will beat Missouri this coming weekend either in Kansas City or Alaska.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:51 PM   #12
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

These two points say it all:

Chiefs President Carl Wilson on the game...

“Nineteen years ago I had a sit-down conversation with our late Founder Lamar Hunt and he said, ‘Carl, besides all of the things that we want you to do with the Chiefs, I have had a strong desire ever since Arrowhead was built that it would host Division I-A college football games,’” Peterson said. “Then Lamar specifically said, ‘I think it would be fabulous if Arrowhead could host the oldest college football rivalry West of the Mississippi; The University of Missouri and The University of Kansas.’ Now, 19 years later, we are going to get this game in Arrowhead. This is indeed a very special day.”

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/01...2007_and_2008/

I should have known Lamar Hunt had some hand in this before his death. This is a guy who would have played games on the moon if it meant one extra dollar or it "sounded cool"...

Leland Johnson has held KU football season tickets for more than 25 years.

He has sat in his seats under the press box at Memorial Stadium for virtually every game, arriving before kickoff and not leaving until the band has concluded “Home on the Range.”

But Wednesday, the Goddard resident received his tickets to the Nov. 24 KU-MU game at Arrowhead Stadium, and he’s disappointed. His seats in the 65th row at Memorial Stadium on the 40-yard line have moved to the goal line, row 11, at Arrowhead Stadium.

“I have a wife who doesn’t have good health. (Our seats at Memorial Stadium) are out of the way and the weather,” Johnson said. “There aren’t many seats at Arrowhead that have the same situation.”

Make no mistake, he’s not bitter toward the Jayhawks. In fact, he’s still deciding whether he can go to the game, all things considered. But he’s one of several fans who have taken to online message boards and letters to the editor to express their dissatisfaction with the process for seating Arrowhead Stadium.

Ronda Davis, of Lawrence, has family zone tickets in Memorial Stadium, meaning her seats are in the bowl at Memorial Stadium. At Arrowhead, her seats are in the upper deck corner, though instead of getting two adult and two youth tickets, family zone ticket holders received four adult tickets.

She wasn’t expecting the best seats, but after sitting behind the goal posts when Kansas took on Oklahoma at Arrowhead in 2005, Davis expected her seats would be about as good.

“I could have accepted third level behind the goal posts, but in the corner?” she asked. “You can’t get much worse than that.”

Anger at Chiefs

But more than anything, both Johnson are Davis are irked that Kansas City Chiefs season ticket holders had first choice on any seats. A number of Chiefs season ticket holders will have tickets in the lower bowl, along with 13,500 KU and the same number of MU fans.

“It really bothers you. As a KU season ticket holder, I never get to go to a Chiefs game and get better seats,” Davis said. “I don’t see how being a Chiefs season ticket holder has anything to do with the KU-MU game.”

Davis is giving her KU-MU tickets to a friend who hasn’t been able to attend a game this year.

The provision allowing Chiefs season ticket holders to buy seats was part of the agreement worked out among KU, MU and the Chiefs. The group of Chiefs season ticket holders with seats in the lower bowl, KU students, the KU band, the athletic department and guests of the football program account for most of KU’s block of 13,500 lower-levels seats.

KU Associate Athletic Director Jim Marchiony said a limited number of KU season ticket holders were given seats in the lower bowl, but with nearly 32,000 season tickets sold this year, most season ticket holders wound up in the upper deck.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2007/no...icket_turmoil/

Part of the agreement was screwing over your season ticket holders in favor of the Chiefs' season ticket holders?

Way to go Kansas. :thumbsup2:

Oh yeah, local merchants in Lawrence are also pissed off claiming they'll lose millions due to this.

Have fun without a scoreboard next year cuz Tim's Diner won't sponsor a square on it, nevermind decorate his joint with your logo/colors and pass out schedules.

I understand the Chiefs are giving $1 million to each school but wouldn't it be better if that money came locally?

A clueless bunch of idiots who sold their souls to the Chiefs now must pay.

I love it.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:55 PM   #13
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

This is absolutly a travesty. Way for a school that is having it's first Great year in 100 years to alienate there fan base. Good job KU. You'll definatly stay on top.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:13 PM   #14
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

It's a money grab dave...plain and simple.

You would think they would have learned their lesson too.

Check this...

In 2005 Kansas also agreed to play a neutral site game at Arrowhead against the Oklahoma Sooners.

The Jayhawks lost that game 19-3 in front of a sorry attendance of just over 54,000. Memorial Stadium in Lawrence seats 50,000 and how many of the 54,000 in KC do you think were Oklahoma fans? A lot would be my guess.

Kansas finished that season 6-5 and went to the Fort Worth Bowl. Their home record that year was 6-0 with a road record of 0-4. The neutral site loss dropped 'em to 6-5 for the regular season.

Wonder if losing by 16 at a neutral site could have been a home win in a year like that?

So instead of possibly going 7-4 and playing in the Independence Bowl the Jayhawks settled for the Fort Worth Bowl (now Armed Forces Bowl).

Difference in payout is about $600,000.

It's what I call "over-thinking" on the part of these idiots. You try to get rich quick but what you really do is screw with the fanbase and other ancillary money down the road.

Just play college football on campus.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:21 PM   #15
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

Agree entirly I hate this in College basketball too. It's a Joke that St. John's plays at the garden build a damn arena already.