Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 10-31-2001, 02:34 AM   #1
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough
Default If you were the Yankees Owner

Who would you pick up during the off-season that is a free agent to make your team stronger?

I would pick Barry Bonds because of the short fence to right field.

Who would u go after? A slugger or a pitcher.

Who would the Yankees dump to free up some money?

Paul O'Neill in my opinion and David Justice. Who would u dump?
Old 10-31-2001, 03:57 AM   #2
Spike
N.B.A. Moderator

Spike is on a distinguished road
Default Jason Giambi and Re: Barry Bonds

Quote:
Originally posted by bama4256:

Who would you pick up during the off-season that is a free agent to make your team stronger?

I would pick Barry Bonds because of the short fence to right field.
I live just outside the San Francisco Bay Area and the talk isn't Barry Bonds going to the Yankees, the talk is of the other big free agent here going to the Yankees, Jason Giambi.

Bonds will probably re-sign because I can't imagine the Giants taking the public relations hit of losing the "All-Time Home Run King".

The A's could take the public relations hit because the fans don't come to the ballpark that much. They only started coming this past year when it was clear the A's would be making the playoffs. And their ownership sucks. The Giants sellout every game.

Isn't the Yankees' Tino Martinez a free agent? So they'll be a hole to fill there right?
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2001, 09:25 AM   #3
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Spike
I live just outside the San Francisco Bay Area and the talk isn't Barry Bonds going to the Yankees, the talk is of the other big free agent here going to the Yankees, Jason Giambi.
Well, in that case, it's obvious that Giami WON'T be going to the Yanks, and Bonds WILL be going to them! ....things seem to turn out opposite of what you expect.

...but not this time .... Giambi has a "fondness" for NYC, I heard, but I wouldn't go out and spend a lotta cash on some new free agents... that's not the Yankees "style" ....I say, though, get ridda Justice. He's really bothered me this postseason... strikes out in the box and makes an error in the field! That's about the whole game that he's screwing up on! :nod:
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2001, 10:02 PM   #4
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I think Giambi has the greatest chance of ending up in N.Y. He definitely won't be back in Oakland and the Yanks are never short on cash to lure him in. How could you turn it down?
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 11:18 AM   #5
Mike Round
Sports Central Staff

Location: Home in Birmingham, England and divide at least 6 months of the year between South Carolina and New Jersey.
Mike Round is on a distinguished road

To be honest I don't think the Yanks will sign Giambi. Theyve took Nick Johnson to the WS for the experience and to get to know his team mates better and I think he'll start at 1b next year if Tino isn't resigned. Giambi doesn't field well and the Yanks might wanna DH him - which he won't like.
The Yanks have holes in the outfield with O'Neill gone, Knoblauch useless and on the trading block and Justice (hopefully) going. Bonds is too expensive for a high payroll team and maybe Vlad, Moises Alou or Cliff Floyd are better options.
If I had to guess I'd say Giambi will end up in St Louis - especially if Big Mac retires.
Mike Round is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 05:52 PM   #6
jeremyn
Grizzled Veteran

jeremyn is on a distinguished road

I would get Mark McGwire and I would most likely try to get a slugger. Hmm, get rid of... I have no idea.

------------------------------------------------
Do you live in New York? Send me an e-mail for info on how to get Knicks, Rangers, Islanders, Jets, Giants, Yanks, and Mets tickets. E-mail: [email protected]
jeremyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 09:23 AM   #7
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by jeremyn
I would get Mark McGwire and I would most likely try to get a slugger. Hmm, get rid of... I have no idea.
Why McGwire? Firstly, I doubt he will be playing again - for anyone. He is tired of embarrassing himself and will retire. I think the Yankees would be better off with someone more productive and younger. Big Mac only hit like .150.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 05:41 PM   #8
jeremyn
Grizzled Veteran

jeremyn is on a distinguished road

I think Big Mac will be close to how he was a few years ago (before injuries). To be close to how he was a few years ago may take a precious year or two (it is precious since he is getting old). McGwire definately is not a sure thing for the reasons that you stated.

------------------------------------------------
Do you live in New York? Send me an e-mail for info on how to get Knicks, Rangers, Islanders, Jets, Giants, Yanks, and Mets tickets. E-mail: [email protected]
jeremyn is offline   Reply With Quote