Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

View Poll Results: Who is going to win this series?
Atlanta Braves 5 35.71%
Chicago Cubs 9 64.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-28-2003, 03:37 AM   #1
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Kornbix is on a distinguished road
Default Nl Division Championship: Chicago Cubs Vs. Atlanta Braves

Ah just could not wait to make this thread. Well what do you think? I know my Braves are going to SWEEP yes SWEEP the inexperinced Cubs like we did in I think 98 it was we beat the Cubs. So no doubt this one, My BRAVOS are taking it to the Cubs, clean sweep, 3-0!!! When we have Maddux starting Game 3, we know things are going good. And the Cubs are just too inexperinced and won't have enough offense to amount anything. I just can't wait till the NLCS!

Last edited by Kornbix; 09-28-2003 at 03:39 AM.
Kornbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 03:54 AM   #2
Spikedmace
All-Star Player

Spikedmace is on a distinguished road

I don't know about a sweep, but I do know the Braves will have their hands full with Prior and Wood. The Cubbies probably have the best 1-2 punch in baseball now.

They could be like the 2001 D-Backs when they had Johnson and Schilling.
Spikedmace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 05:12 AM   #3
franky
Lost and Confused

franky is on a distinguished road

I think this will be a very close series. I think the Cubs are one of those teams that are very hard to predict. They can look very good or bad depending on who their starting pitcher is. Prior and Wood are a scary combo to face definitely.

Plus, you just seem to get this feeling that maybe this is the Red Sox and Cubs season...(okay, I won't go there...but just think about it...)

But, I am still rooting for and predicting the Braves. I like Bobby Cox and what he has done for this franchise. He probably doesnt get the praise he deserves just because the Braves haven't won more world series. The players that have come through the Atlanta system have been class acts (except Rocker) and it has been fun to see this team win with pitching before and now win with offense. It was exciting to see this offense click this season, especially considering the season Javey Lopez had, and hopefully they can continue in the postseason. Hopefully Smoltz will be ready in the postseason. I will say Braves in 5.
franky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 07:08 AM   #4
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Cubs in 5. The Cubs have the pitching power to shutdown the Braves for at least 2 games and then at least one more will be started by Prior or Wood. The Braves have the offense but I just don't trust their pitching staff beyond Russ Ortiz. Greg Maddux has been shakey all season. Hampton looked good late but Reynolds and Ramirez I could see the Cubs beating up on.

Aramis Ramirez has been hitting the long ball as of late. Sammy is hitting it good too. If the team just continues to play the way they have all season by out-pitching the opponent the Cubs have a good chance to go to the World Series.

Atlanta fans are going to be surprised when the Cubs take the first 2 games.
Old 09-28-2003, 12:02 PM   #5
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

It looks like the Braves/Cubs matchup could go either way. I would give the advantabe to the Braves, based on several things.
1. The Braves have been in the playoffs before and know what the pressures are. They should be able to deal with them better than the Cubs.
2. The Braves bullpen is deeper and better.
3. The Braves have a more balanced offense than the Cubs do.
Lets match up position by position.
1B. Fick-Franco -- Karros-Simon. Advantage: Cubs because of defense.
2B. Giles -- Grudzielanek. Advantage: Braves.
SS. Furcal -- Gonzalez. Advantage: Braves
3B. Castilla -- Rameriz. Advantage: Cubs.
LF. Chipper -- Alou. Advantage: push. Both players are playing well. If any advantage is there, it is for the Braves. Chipper is younger and faster.
CF. Andruw -- Lofton. Advantage: Braves.
RF. Sheffield -- Sammy. Advantage: Cubs, but not as big as some would think. Sheff is one of the finest, most complete players in the league.
C. Lopez -- Miller. Advantage: Braves.
SP. Maddux, Ortiz, Hampton, Reynolds -- Wood, Zambrano, Clement, Prior. Advantage: Cubs. Again it is close, but the Cubs have the arms here.
RP. Smoltz is questionable, but the rest of the team is doing well. For the Cubs, Borowski has been solid, but the rest of the pen has been shaky. Advantage: Braves.
Manager. Cox -- Baker. Again, Cox has been there, but Baker has as well. I'm giving the edge to the Braves on player management (Baker has left Estes in the rotation longer than I would have, especially with Juan Cruz ready to go).
Edge to the Braves, but I don't expect a sweep. It should be a good series.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 10:45 PM   #6
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

The J is on a distinguished road

The Cubs pitching against the Braves hitters....gonna be GOOOOOOOD.
Old 09-29-2003, 01:20 AM   #7
Brandon
is lurking...

Brandon is on a distinguished road

I've been pretty unbiased this season when it comes to my Braves, but I don't know why so many people think the Cubs are nearly favorites.

Wood can be dominating, but he can also be hit pretty easily if his stuff isn't on. Zambrano hasn't exactly had his best stuff lately either. Wood will be starting 2 games, Zambrano 2 probably, and Prior 1. On the flip side, the Braves will go with a 3 man rotation of Ortiz, Hampton, and Maddux.

Maddux is either gonna have it or not, and personally, he's looked pretty good in his last 8 out of his last 9 starts, giving up 3 or less runs. And those other two have held their own. None of them have been dominating, but in the 90th percentile in the National League this year. Ramirez will most likely be stuck in the bullpen. Reynolds will either be left off the NLDS roster or put in the bullpen, my bet would probably be off the roster...

Remember, this is a Braves team unlike other teams in this run. They rely more on the offense. Lopez and Sheffield are MVP caliber, the Jones boys, Giles, and Furcal are all above average/All-Star level this year.

I honestly think they'll have an easier time of the Division Series this year, actually making it to the NLCS in the first time in 3 years.

Braves in 4.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 01:32 AM   #8
Brandon
is lurking...

Quote:
Originally posted by catman
It looks like the Braves/Cubs matchup could go either way. I would give the advantabe to the Braves, based on several things.
1. The Braves have been in the playoffs before and know what the pressures are. They should be able to deal with them better than the Cubs.
2. The Braves bullpen is deeper and better.
3. The Braves have a more balanced offense than the Cubs do.
Lets match up position by position.
1B. Fick-Franco -- Karros-Simon. Advantage: Cubs because of defense.
2B. Giles -- Grudzielanek. Advantage: Braves.
SS. Furcal -- Gonzalez. Advantage: Braves
3B. Castilla -- Rameriz. Advantage: Cubs.
LF. Chipper -- Alou. Advantage: push. Both players are playing well. If any advantage is there, it is for the Braves. Chipper is younger and faster.
CF. Andruw -- Lofton. Advantage: Braves.
RF. Sheffield -- Sammy. Advantage: Cubs, but not as big as some would think. Sheff is one of the finest, most complete players in the league.
C. Lopez -- Miller. Advantage: Braves.
SP. Maddux, Ortiz, Hampton, Reynolds -- Wood, Zambrano, Clement, Prior. Advantage: Cubs. Again it is close, but the Cubs have the arms here.
RP. Smoltz is questionable, but the rest of the team is doing well. For the Cubs, Borowski has been solid, but the rest of the pen has been shaky. Advantage: Braves.
Manager. Cox -- Baker. Again, Cox has been there, but Baker has as well. I'm giving the edge to the Braves on player management (Baker has left Estes in the rotation longer than I would have, especially with Juan Cruz ready to go).
Edge to the Braves, but I don't expect a sweep. It should be a good series.
Nice analysis, but I'd like to comment a bit from my perspective.

1B-I'll give this to the Cubs, but Karros will play more and his defense isn't that great, but that said, it's still probably better than Fick's.

3B - I'll agree w/ this too, but Ramirez isn't all that much better. He's been hot, but streaky with the stick and his overall numbers aren't much better than Castilla's. Castilla may have lost a step too, but he's still better with the glove.

LF - I honestly don't think there's a question here. Neither are spectacular with the glove. But after a slow first half, Chipper has been on fire, and his overall numbers are still better.

RF - Nothing against Sosa, but Sheffield has been consistently great all year and has had the better year. The only thing going for Sosa this year in this matchup is that he's the only real dangerous hitter in that lineup.

SP - I almost don't think you give the Cubs enough credit. This is an advantage for them, either 3 or 4 deep. Although after a slow start, the Braves rotation is pretty solid.

RP - Neither bullpen is great, but Smoltz healthy or not makes the Braves bullpen that much better. They seemed to have found some solid relievers in the last month in Cunnane and possibly Wright (wouldn't trust him still, but his Braves numbers are overshadowed by his overall numbers, even if it is a small sample size).
Old 09-29-2003, 05:30 PM   #9
Diceman
X-Ecutioner Dice

Diceman is on a distinguished road

Cubs in 5. Good pitching beats good hitting anyday of the week. And if you compare the two teams weaknesses the braves pitching and the cubs' hitting. Advantage cubs hitting. Sosa, Alou are the power. Great table setters with Lofton and Grudzalanek. Ramirez needs to show up in this series though. he would be what i like to call the X-Factor.
Diceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 06:49 PM   #10
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Kornbix is on a distinguished road

Are you on crack Diceman? I mean SERIOUSLY are you going to take the sorry 1-2 loaf of Lofton - Grudz whatever his name is before the 1-2 awesome punch of Furcal - Giles? And your take Alou and Sosa before Sheffeild and Jones? Obviously you don't watch the Braves. And yes, I have watched Cubs games this year.
Kornbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 07:18 PM   #11
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

It's going to be fun, but my gut tells me the Cubs because of pitching. The Braves have some great hitters, though.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 08:30 PM   #12
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Braves in a sweep
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 10:10 PM   #13
Brandon
is lurking...

Quote:
Originally posted by Kornbix
Are you on crack Diceman? I mean SERIOUSLY are you going to take the sorry 1-2 loaf of Lofton - Grudz whatever his name is before the 1-2 awesome punch of Furcal - Giles? And your take Alou and Sosa before Sheffeild and Jones? Obviously you don't watch the Braves. And yes, I have watched Cubs games this year.
He was talking about the weaknesses. He wasn't comparing them to Furcal and Giles.

And to everybody who says good pitching will get the Cubs the series victory, have you seen where the best pitching in the past 12 years have gotten the Braves for the most part?
Old 09-30-2003, 12:18 AM   #14
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Kornbix
It's good to see an objective opinion.

My pick is as unobjective as you can get....well, almost. Cubs, favorite team of all time. Braves, least favorite team in any sport.

Cubs in 4.

:banana:

cubs win the world series and the banana won't be the only one dancing suggestively.

-RB
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 01:06 AM   #15
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road

Let's see...

Wood, Prior & Clement up against Ortiz, Maddux & Hampton...wow, I know who I'm taking. I'll give the Braves credit for the way they've swung the bats, but up against that pitching staff I don't see them generating a whole lot. Also, the Cubbies are on a roll right now and have been wanting this very badly, where the Braves have sat around for a while already clinched. It will be fun, but I take the Cubbies in a upset.

Cubs in 5.
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote