Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 07-26-2004, 11:26 AM   #1
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about
Default Dublin Mike's SEC East predictions

With the season fast approaching, I figured i would post this, and let Bama, who im sure is much more knowledgable about the West than I, handle the weaker sister of the SEC So w/out further ado:

1. UGA Bulldogs- And no Im not being a homer. If the Bulldogs can fight off the injury bug, they have a very good shot at not only the SEC crown, but the national title as well. If the O-line protects David Greene better than last year, UGA will dominate. Greene has proven that when he has time to pass the ball, he can shred defenses.
Kregg Lumpkin has taken the RB starting role from Michael Cooper. Lumpkin showed flashes during his freshman year last season, and he should be another name in an already long list og great UGA backs.
The WRs return Fred Gibson and Reggie Brown, but look for a breakout year from either Cedric Haywood or converted QB A.J. Bryant.
The D returns some amazing players, including David Pollack, Odell Thurman, and Thomas Davis. Losing Sean Jones and Bruce Thornton was a big hit, but the Bulldogs expect Greg Blue to come in for Jones.

Bottom Line: UGA MUST beat the Gators in Jacksonville this year. There are no more excuses, they return 10 starters on offense and 6 on D. UGA will only lose 1 game this year and will play for the national title, losing to USC.

2. Florida Gators- Well, at least we know Ron Zook can recruit. Chris Leak and Channing Crowder were 2 freshman monsters last year. Leak carried the team through the year, including wins over LSU and UGA. It is gonna be interesting to see how Leak does now that he has a year of experience under his belt. His biggest concern will be the fact that his returning starting WRs had 48 catches between them.
At the RB spot, UF is stacked. Deshaun Wynn and C. Fason could prove to be the best tandem in the East, as they can run over or around a defender.
The defensive line and LBs returning are impressive. DE Jeremy Mincey is a monster pass rusher who like nothing more than pounding QBs into the ground. Crowder, Earl Everett and whoever else Zook inserts in at LB will be one of the most feared LB units in the conference. But a big problem lies in the secondary, where the Gators lost all 4 starters. Against a team like UGA, that will prove costly.

Bottom Line: Florida is much improved from last year, but the holes in the secondary could prove to be too much. I think they will lose 2 games in conference, as well as @ FSU in the last game of the year.

3. South Carolina Gamecocks- A lot of people have UT here, but I tend to disagree. Lou Holtz has taken over the offense, and will go to a twin back approach, using a grind it out style of offense. Which is perfect for their main offensive weapon, Demetris Summers. The kid is a very good RB, w/good vision and great power. The gamecocks biggest liability this year will be at QB. Dondrell Pinkins hasn't exactly wowed fans w/his pasing, but Holtz is sticking by his man.
Troy williamson and Matt Thomas are two burners, and if Pinkins can get the ball to them can really do some damage to the opponents backfield.
The D should be better, with all 3 starting LBs coming back from injuries this year. Theis biggest question. Can they hold up? The Defensive backfield has questions after losing Dunta Robinson to the draft. The Gamecocks have no corner w/starting experience.

Bottom Line: I think SC may shock some people this year, w/a possible early upset of Georgia, and winning at home against Tennessee.

4. UT Volunteers- Who will replace Casey Clausen? CJ Leak? or will it be Casey's younger brother, Rick? These are some big questions going into training camp. Tennessee has no idea who is going to throw the ball to its talented WRs such as Chris Hannon and Tony Brown.
The RB situation looks good, w/Cedric Houstom coming back for his senior year looking to do serious damage to SEC defenses. And w/Jabari Davis as his backup, look for som 2 back sets from the Volunteers this year.
Defensively, the Vols are okay, except for the one place everyone else in the East is having problems, thats right, the secondary. UT was already losing 3 starters, then Antwan Stewart was lost for the year during spring practice. The linebacking crew is strong with Kevin Burnett and Daniel Brooks.

Bottom Line: can you say QB controversy? Field Goal Phil will have big trouble this year w/his QB's and his inexperienced secondary will be tested early when the Gators come to town. UT will lose 4 conference games and keeps sliding down in the SEC.

As for Vandy and Kentucky, well, in all honesty. I am struggling on who goes where. I think Vandy will have a better year. Jay Cutler is turning into a really good QB, and no one is talking about the fact Kwane Foster won SEC rookie of the year at RB last year.

Screw it. My hands are tired from typing. Vandy will not be in the cellar, just for the simple fact Kentucky sucks more than they do.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 06:58 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I hope I will never see the time where Vandy is consistently better than Kentucky. It won't be this year...
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 07:11 PM   #3
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Sorry Marc, but i just think Vandy will be better than the Wildcats this year. Kentucky QB Shane Lloyd is playing behind an inexperienced o-line, and i think the 3-4 defense could be a liability this year.

Vandy have the 2 returning players i mentioned above, plus a pretty good d that features Jovan Haye and Moses Osemwegie. (yes, i looked up the spelling. lol) And watch for this name to pop up as one of the top o-linemen in the draft next year. Justin Geisinger. I was reading my copy of Athlon earlier, and do you realize he did not allow one sack last year? Add to the fact he has a bench press of 600 lbs, the kid will definately be pushing around some d line this fall.

Im gonna be blasphemous and predict that Vandy could possibly finish ahead of UT in the East. Is Vandy that good? I dont think so. I think it is a combination of them being so-so, and Tennessee being that bad. (here come the pile ons.)
Old 08-11-2004, 05:02 PM   #4
VERBZ
Grizzled Veteran

VERBZ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dublin Mike's SEC East predictions

Quote:
Originally posted by Dublin Mike
If the Bulldogs can fight off the injury bug....
Well, there goes that.

Lumpkin’s out for the year:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...56_digs11.html

I'll be back later to comment on your picks...nice job, BTW....

"....Rebuilding A Dynasty....."

Last edited by VERBZ; 08-11-2004 at 05:06 PM.
VERBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 05:47 PM   #5
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Verbz, hopefully it won't hurt them too much. If Michael Cooper can get over his migraines i think they will be okay at the RB position. UGA has never had problems finding a capable RB.