Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 01-19-2002, 12:28 PM   #1
Ezekielrage84
Rookie Player

Ezekielrage84 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Tony Dungy out of Tampa

It is a shame when a coach like Tony Dungy is shown the door by a team that he essentially created. The connudrum is that he could not lead the 'Bucs past the first round of the play offs in two consecutive years with a talent pool that no other team has.
Now that Tony Dungy is gone, the 'Bucs made the mistake of appearing to have Parcells wraped up before in fact they had even let go of Dungy. Now that Parcells is not in the position for NFL coach the 'Bucs are in a lurch, they can look at some of the other coaches let go of recently who have strong records ( Denny Green and Marty) but who seem to have the same problem as Dungy, they cannot win the big games. If I was the 'Bucs I would have tried to act a little classier in my release of Tony Dungy, I mean he still had games left to play(important games at that), when it seemed that the media had already welcomed in Parcells as the new coach.
Ezekielrage84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 01:51 PM   #2
Nate
Sports Virtuoso

Nate is on a distinguished road

I still think Dungy is a quality coach. We'll take him in Indy. He'd be a nice replacement for Mora, who I never liked anyway.

Go Colts! Go Boilers! Go Pacers! [[email protected]nspencer]
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 06:12 PM   #3
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Man, the Bucs are in a terrible situation.

They make the decision to finally let go of their long-standing coach in hopes of signing Parcells to really boost this franchise, then he declines! Now, they are left with no likely candidate. Originally, my top two choices would have been Spurrier and Parcells... but now, neither are going to T.B. and the Bucs will likely have to settle for a less-than-stellar candidate.

The Bucs need an offensive-minded coach and it would be interesting if Denny Green was hired.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 03:55 AM   #4
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Interesting Marc, but impossible; reportedly the terms of Green's "buyout" include a two-year ban on his taking a head-coaching position with another NFL team (and Green has already signed on to do some local TV fishing show in the Twin Cities area next year).

It looks like Marty Schottenheimer will probably end up in San Diego, so the most logical candidates to succeed Dungy would appear to be Jim Mora and George Seifert.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 10:10 AM   #5
Marc
Administrator

Speaking of Dungy, it looks like he is impressed with the Panthers rather than Indy, where he was expected to go. I still hope he goes to the Colts because he is a perfect fit there. Anyway you look at it, the Bucs are in a bad situation.
Old 01-21-2002, 03:18 AM   #6
Anthony

What's so bad about having either Mora or Seifert as your new head coach, which is probably the "situation" the Bucs are now in?

It could be a lot worse - they could be in the situation the Vikings are in! Just wait until the Korey Stringer lawsuit goes to court, and all the testimony about how Mike Tice taunted Stringer the day he died is heard in public. The turmoil that will inevitably result will be so extreme that Minnesota is the "logical" choice to land the number one draft pick in 2003!
Old 01-21-2002, 12:54 PM   #7
Marc
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony
What's so bad about having either Mora or Seifert as your new head coach, which is probably the "situation" the Bucs are now in?
Seifert? I don't think so - he's getting up there in age and I seriously doubt he'd do anything else.
Old 01-21-2002, 07:11 PM   #8
Dre2g
Grizzled Veteran

Dre2g is on a distinguished road

I think Tony Dungy was done wrong in Tampa. He WAS the coach of the team, hands down. The Bucs should have waited till after the season to discuss whether they were going to fire Dungy or not. How do you expect the players to play knowing that their coach is going to be fired? It was handled terribly by the Bucs managment, and I hope their team falls apart because of it.
Old 01-24-2002, 04:10 AM   #9
Anthony

Quote:
Originally posted by mjames

Seifert? I don't think so - he's getting up there in age and I seriously doubt he'd do anything else.
Seifert turns 62 sometime this year; if I'm not mistaken, Marv Levy was 67 when the Bills lost the last of their four straight Super Bowls, and George Halas was still coaching the Bears well into his seventies. So I don't think Seifert's being 62 should be an issue at all!

And what's the alternative - hiring somebody who's totally unproven? Remember that for every Andy Reid who makes it big in that situation, untold others don't - and a blunder of this sort (like Les Steckel at Minnesota back in '84) can devastate team morale and literally set a franchise back many, many years (and the Vikings are about to find this out once again, with Mike Tice). It's not worth the risk.

Last edited by Anthony; 01-24-2002 at 04:15 AM.