Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 12-08-2002, 04:55 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Question For Georgia, "the sky's the limit"

Quote:
For Georgia, 'the sky's the limit'

By Bruce Feldman
ESPN The Magazine

ATLANTA -- We learned two things Saturday night in the Georgia Dome: The Georgia Bulldogs are the class of the SEC, and the rest of the conference stinks.

How else could you explain a team as shaky as Arkansas being in the title game? Truth is, there are probably four Big East teams that would maul the Hogs. Arkansas' offense was so inept it never would have crossed midfield if it didn't benefit from personal fouls by Georgia.

But that shouldn't take anything away from Georgia. The Bulldogs could have come out flat, having been deflated earlier in the day watching their Fiesta Bowl hopes dashed by Miami's win over Virginia Tech. Instead, UGA blew the Hogs off the field and the only thing that appeared to derail them was Mark Richt's QB flip from David Greene to DJ Shockley with Georgia up 20-0. And, of course, those personal foul penalties. But considering the day's events, Georgia fans shouldn't be sweating the extra emotion. The Dawgs came out to dominate, and they did, putting an exclamation point on a glorious season. Their 12-1 record notwithstanding, the Bulldogs are underrated.

They have a dangerous passing attack with Greene piloting; a fast, punishing runner in Musa Smith and a veteran O-line. Defensively, Georgia has an elite front seven led by DT Jonathan Sullivan and DE David Pollack. Give credit to Richt for shepherding the ride, but also credit former Dawg boss Jim Donnan who brought in most of the talent and laid the foundation.

In the next month, Georgia fans probably will speculate whether the Dawgs could beat Ohio State and give Miami a better game. After the game, Sullivan said he would love to play OSU and Miami back-to-back and said there would be "no doubt" the Dawgs would take 'em both.
http://espn.go.com/ncf/columns/feldm...e/1473298.html

It's been a great season for Georgia, even as much as they wanted to go go undefeated. With Florida, Tennessee, and other traditional SEC powerhouses having down years, Georgia has become the class of the conference. I like Mark Richt as a coach and thing he has a big part to do with their success. My question to you is do you think the other powerhouse teams will recover next year, or will Georgia supplant itself at the top once again?
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 05:01 PM   #2
digital7
Deep South

digital7 is on a distinguished road

they will beat Florida State to the ground
digital7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 06:14 PM   #3
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

I think the Dawgs will be on top again next year. Florida will threaten, but I think it will take a couple of years and some of Zook's own recruits to get the Gators going again.
The Vols strike me as a team in dire need of health, and just as important, new blood. I wouldn't be surprised if Phil Fullmer announced his desire to get out of the college game in the near future. Whether he does or not, I think the Vols are also several steps and pieces away from threatening in the SEC.

Dave
Old 12-08-2002, 07:14 PM   #4
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

I couldn't agree with you more Dave on the Fulmer situation in Tennessee. After they won the Natl Title, I felt the program never really took the next step to establish itself as a truely great champion and program. I too, wouldn't be surprised to see a change for Fulmer in the next few years.

I feel bad for Georgia, they to me, are clearly the third best team in the country and they got a lousy pairing with Florida St. I hope they beat them to a pulp. I would have loved to see them play Iowa to prove they are better than them or even USC or Oklahoma. They atleast deserve a team like Kansas St. or Michigan to test themselves against a consistant program who actually played to their talent and ability this year.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 08:53 PM   #5
Sports Virtuoso

#47 is on a distinguished road

I agree also with what Dave said.

I also think Georgia is a very good team.

As a USC fan it was Georgia or Iowa, that I actually wanted USC to play. I did not want USC to play Oklahoma, because SC would have overwhelmed them, but I think games with either Iowa or Georgia would have been good match ups, so Iowa it is, I'll take it.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
#47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 02:19 PM   #6
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Fulmer has always been a great recruiter, and rather lousy coach. Anytime you see him put the headset on or has anything to do with the offensive plays his offense falls off the map. Tennessee has had too much talent not to be in contention for more National Championships over the the last 5 seasons. Take last season for example, how does his team lose to LSU when in the first half they were throwing deep on LSU and completing pass after pass....then all of a sudden they stopped attacking deep....terrible coaching on Fulmer's part and his staff.

If it were not for bad coaching Tennessee would have won at least 2 National titles by now if not more. This can be said at other schools as well like Texas.

Fulmer is too good of a recruiter to let go though. The only way Fulmer leaves is if the pressure gets too much for him....I don't think Tennessee would ever consider firing him....but I could be wrong.

Joey
Old 12-09-2002, 02:43 PM   #7
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

I see you point on Fulmer and recruiting Joey. Us Buckeye fans used to hear constantly the praises of Cooper's recruiting magic. Never mind the fact the guy couldn't help but wet his pants any time a big game arrived.

I disagree #47 on your take that Iowa is a good matchup for USC. The Trojans should pound the untested Hawkeyes into a pulp. Iowa is in trouble , cause for the first time all year, they are playing when their opponent ACTUALLY KNOWS Iowa has a decent team this year. Sleep time is over Hawkeyes....GET READY FOR THE TROJANS. I can't wait for the blood bath. I also can't wait to rub it in the face of all the people back east here that the PAC 10 deserves respect.

I think USC could beat anyone in the nation. Their defense is better than Miami's. And their offense could rise to the Canes if needed. The Trojans would beat Oklahoma soundly, that I do agree with. I think Georgia would stay close for awhile, but lose by no more than 14 points.

Its funny too, cause yesterday on the BCS Selection Show on ABC, John Saunders asked Iowa's head coach about how people think that his team has been the best in the country for the last month or so. I think it's funny cause he was talking to the wrong coach. USC has been the best team in the country for the last month or so. Oh well, the Trojans will show Iowa their not ready for the big boys yet, and I'll love every second of it.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 08:49 PM   #8
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

The J is on a distinguished road

You think SC would overwhelm OU 47?
Old 12-09-2002, 08:56 PM   #9
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

I personally think that SC would take advantage of OU's weakness in the secondary that got highlighted by both Texas A&M and Oklahoma State. And OU's offense would have a really tough time of it against the SC defense. Really tough.

Dave
Old 12-09-2002, 09:40 PM   #10
Sports Virtuoso

#47 is on a distinguished road

Well The J, Dave kind of answer exactly why I think SC would be a huge winner over Oklahoma.

SC's offense, especially SC's strenghts on offense, are in direct line with OU's weakenss on defense. OU has a weak secondary and with SC's ability to spread the field with many options, they would easily drop 40 plus on the Sooners.

On the other side of the ball, at best, OU could maybe put 20 on the board. This would easily be a 3 TD plus victory. The big thing also, SC is very well rounded, OU is not.

78, what I meant by saying that I think it is a good matchup (Iowa/SC), was that I wanted SC to get one of the top teams and not FSU. I would much rather they played the best opponent available. Now I also think(and agree with u) SC could really have put a whooping on Iowa also, if they had played right now, but after a month layoff, you never know how a team is going to respond to being idle for so long. Getting back into the mode of hitting at game speed, playing under the whistle, Timing, etc, all of these things are affected after long lay offs. There will be no guarantees coming from me. I dont like these layoffs.

I also think 78 and Joey were right on in regards to Fulmer and Cooper and coaches like them. Some coaches can recruit like crazy, and that is a great thing. But then they get into games and strange things happen. I call it coaching scared. Rather then let all that talent you have recruited overwhelm your opponent, they keep the strings to tightly pulled instead of letting go. You have to let the great players, be great.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
#47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 10:58 PM   #11
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I think Tennessee needs to do what Georgia did ... hire a fresh face to gives things a boost. Mark Richt has done a remarkable job and Tennessee needs a similar situation to happen. But on their defense, they had a lot of injuries this year.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 11:15 AM   #12
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Well said when stated that Fulmer does not let his team perform, because he plays to conservatively and does have the strings to tight on his offense every season. This has been stated in this area for years, but no change has been made, nor is there going to be made. Fulmer will walk out on his own terms, unless Tennessee falls off the map of college football...which won't happen because they recruit and bring in so much talent.

Joey