Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Hockey

View Poll Results: Is the NHL Draft Lottery Fair?
Yes, it is fair 2 66.67%
No, it is not fair 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-25-2005, 06:27 PM   #1
jhuerbin88
Sports guy

jhuerbin88 is on a distinguished road
Default Draft Lottery: Yes or No?

The Florida Panthers, in my opinion, were the most screwed of all teams the 2005 NHL Entry Draft (29th out of 30 and one of the worst teams in the NHL), while the Pittsburgh Penguins won the first round pick and are the team (some bias may come in) that deserved it.

So, is the draft lottery good? Or is just some crap that the NHL does to be "different" than other professional sports?

I've gotta run, but I'll get my response in later.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:51 PM   #2
Kashchei
Grizzled Veteran

Kashchei is on a distinguished road

The draft was "iffy." There wasn't a season last year; but they could have gone by the 03-04 Season results. I don't like chance and luck in sports but the NHL had to completely revamp it's system, so this was a good start I believe.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:22 PM   #3
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Heathen is on a distinguished road

The Panthers have a good future with some very good young players.

I agreed with the draft and was happy they showed it live. The NHL has to do a better job of marketing itself and this was a good start....

... the Flames got hosed... but they're gonna be fine as they where ready for this cap 5 years ago

tumblr | twitter
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 10:48 PM   #4
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

The Rangers got screwed badly. The Rangers haven't made the play offs in EIGHT years and ended up with the 16th pick. Just an absolute joke.

Just as the Browns and Phillies never seem to catch any breaks, neither do the Rangers. I posted a long rant about the Rangers on a hockey board that I am a long time member at and mentioned how I always wondered what it's likely to root for a team that never catches any breaks, never wins and is downright unlucky. It didn't occur to me until when I left Citizen's Bank Park on Friday night that I do.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:13 PM   #5
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road

Well, if you look at the history of 1st round picks in the draft, it is pretty easy to come to the conclusion that a 30 team lottery is fair. It's a crap shoot, after all. Beyond Crosby, the overwhelmind majority of people have never and will never hear of most of these prospects because most will flame out.

That being said, from a purely marketing point of view, I thought this was a great move. And considering that everyone's roster will look radically different, it is hard to base the order on '03-'04 results. There's going to be so much turnover in personel.
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 08:43 AM   #6
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Is this thread supposed to be about the NHL draft lottery in general, or how it was done this time around?

If it's the latter, what else could they have done with no "last season" on which to base the draft order?

If it's the former, personally I think the NHL's version is a bit more complicated than it needs to be, but the concept of not guaranteeing the team with the worst overall record the first pick is a sound one, on "integrity-of-the-game" grounds.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote