Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 07-22-2005, 02:47 PM   #1
Titans100
Vince Young ROY

Titans100 is on a distinguished road
Question Take Your Pick

This past off-season in the NFL has been a hectic one at that. Recently, one of the best running backs of his time decided to get up, stop smoking pot and give the NFL another try (basically because he owes the Dolphins 8 million +). We are about to see holdout after holdout thanks to Drew Rosenhaus. We have new faces in new places and one of the best cornerbacks in the NFL still sitting out waiting to find a new home.

After all this is said and done...Take your pick for the Superbowl. Who's going for the AFC and who's going for the NFC? And can teams like the Eagles and Packers rebound from losses that they might encounter when Javon Walker and T.O. sit out the entire 05-06 season?
Titans100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 03:07 PM   #2
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

blackdogsong is on a distinguished road

it's going to be a battle of the birds, baby.

Ravens vs Eagles

Kyle Boller is going to have Drew Bress-type of year thanks to Derrick Mason and a 100% Todd Heap. he has too many weapons to not break through. plus that D scores so much and is so good he'll always have a game that is within reach.

the Eagles are the only heavyweight in the NFC. home field advantage is almost a lock. TO is full of hot air and everything in the Philly front office knows it. he has no leverage and will not get the trade he foolishly thinks he'll be granted. he'll be in camp and ready to go.

winner? Eagles.

last year should have been it, they had the Pats on the ropes and just couldn't land the KO. but McNabb has seen the promised land. he is ready to become the elite all-around QB he was always hyped up to be. he can do it all. run, pass, leadership. the total QB.
blackdogsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 03:19 PM   #3
JayRedd
All-Star Player

JayRedd is on a distinguished road

Patriots over Falcons.

Patriots still the favorite. Maybe Manning finally beats Brady. Maybe the Chargers are for real. Maybe Pittsburgh or the Ravens get it together. But the Pats are still my pick going in until I see something different. Maybe Weis and Crennel can't be replaced.

As for the Falcons....who knows. The NFC is terrible. I don't think one team in the NFC is better than any of the contenders I just mentioned for the AFC. Philly is there with TO. When he doesn't play this year though, they are very mediocre.

Brady gets another trophy!!!
Old 07-22-2005, 03:24 PM   #4
Titans100
Vince Young ROY

I like the Ravens ALOT this year. You said it right, the acquistion of D-Mason in the offseason was and probably is the most underrated pick-up. Nobody thought twice when Baltimore snatched him up. Todd Heap is and an already proven Pro Bowl TE, and like always the Ravens' defense is the scariest to go up against in the NFL. Don't forget about Jamal Lewis either, He was only a couple hundred yards away from breaking the single season rushing record.

This is also the year that Boller will shut-up all the people riding his back and saying he is not a good QB, because this is his shot to prove himself.

Ravens vs. Eagles (w/o T.O.)

Fav Teams:
Tennessee Titans
LA Lakers
Pittsburgh Pirates
Old 07-22-2005, 04:10 PM   #5
190 Octane
All-Star Player

190 Octane is on a distinguished road

Patriots 3-peat over the Falcons.

Losing Tedy Bruschi is tough, but Chad Brown should fill in adequately. Adding Tim Dwight to the receiving corps is going to make them all the more dangerous on the offensive end.

The Falcons have a poor receiving corps, a mediocre tailback, and their star QB had a mid-70s passer rating last season...and they still won 12 games. They have an easier schedule and division than Philly, which will give them the all-important home field advantage come January.

Blog
190 Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 05:34 PM   #6
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

Falcons over Cheifs....

Chiefs are the team that nobody is mentioning, and hthey made a LOT of moves this year to toughen up that thing they called a defense last year....
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 03:46 AM   #7
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Wouldn't it better to hold off making such picks until after the next-to-last week's worth of preseason games have been played? (Nobody plays their first-stringers in the last preseason game). Look at what happened two years ago to both Michael Vick and Chad Pennington.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 10:30 AM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Yeah, I never like to make predictions like that until I get to see which rookies may actually make a contribution for the coming season and which star players fail to survive training camp unscathed.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 10:43 PM   #9
The Executioner
All-Star Player

The Executioner is on a distinguished road

Early Real Predicton: Chargers over Panthers

Early Crazy Prediction: Lions over Jets

bring on the Trojans, Longhorns too!
The Executioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 11:01 PM   #10
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

Even though I belive it is to early to make a prediction because you cant take injuries into account my pick

Vikings vs Colts with the Manning finally getting his ring
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 12:35 AM   #11
Titans100
Vince Young ROY

okay okay i think we all took this thread a little too seriously. It's okay to pick who you think is going to make it and who is not. Maybe I should have worded this differently to the point of "who is the best team on paper?". No "i need to see how the rookies are, and no injury factors", this is just who looks like to be the best team on paper before the season(s) even start.

Fav Teams:
Tennessee Titans
LA Lakers
Pittsburgh Pirates
Old 07-26-2005, 12:53 AM   #12
190 Octane
All-Star Player

190 Octane is on a distinguished road

Best team on paper? Patriots. No question.

Blog
190 Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 01:01 AM   #13
Titans100
Vince Young ROY

i question the Pats,l i like Baltimore for best team

Fav Teams:
Tennessee Titans
LA Lakers
Pittsburgh Pirates
Old 07-26-2005, 08:33 AM   #14
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Carolina vs Cincinnati

Why? I think the Patriots will still win the AFC East but lose to Kansas City or Cincinnati in the play offs. The loss of Charlie Weis and Romeo Crennel are going to make a bigger difference than most seem to believe. If they weren't crucial to New England's success over the past four season, Weis wouldn't be at ND and Crennel wouldn't be the head coach of the Browns. The Colts seem to have what it takes but as the Titans fall from the ranks of contenders, Jacksonville and Houston look primed for solid seasons. The AFC West may be the best division in football in 2005. So far I have seen all four teams picked to win the division. I'm not very high on Oakland and see Kansas City taking the West. However, I don't think their defense is good enough yet to get them to the Super Bowl. Cincinnati has potentially potent offense and very solid defense. Other than Chad Johnson, the Bengals don't really have a star player but much like the Patriots, a group of 22+ solid players. Even if they don't make it to the Super Bowl, this will be the Bengals breakout season.

The NFC probably has at least four teams you would pick in front of Carolina- Philadelphia, Atlanta and Minnesota. The whole Terrell Owens debacle isn't over yet and is going to be big burden for the team until it's resolved in one or another. The bottom line is that the Eagles need a healthy and happy Owens to win the NFC. Atlanta still lacks the makings of a quality passing game. I'm sorry but Michael Vick is not a good QB. He's nothing more than a glorified RB in the Falcon offense. Minnesota made some major improvements in the offseason but the wide receiver corps is young and if Troy Williamson or Nate Burleson doesn't step up as the go-to-guy, the offense may struggle. The defense should be very improved. Carolina was one of the best teams in the league last season after getting off to a miserable start. The Panthers have one of the league's best stable of tailbacks made up of Stephen Davis, Deshaun Foster, Nick Goings and Rod Smart. A healthy Steve Smith and more experienced Keary Colbert should provide Delhomme with enough weapons for an average passing game. The defense will be good as usual.

And besides all of that, one favorite usually chokes every season and either goes belly up before the play offs or gets upset in the play offs.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:01 AM   #15
Kashchei
Grizzled Veteran

Kashchei is on a distinguished road

The Colts are going to light the Falcons up.