Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2005, 10:52 AM   #16
JayRedd
All-Star Player
 
JayRedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 277
JayRedd is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by The Executioner
1. Keven Jones
2. Lee Suggs
3. Drew Bledsoe
Hmmm......very unique I guess.
__________________
"We don't throw at .260 hitters" Jason Varitek, July 2004
JayRedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 01:29 PM   #17
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer
 
blackdogsong's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: northampton, pa
Posts: 1,184
blackdogsong is on a distinguished road
Default

past > Barry Sanders, the greatest runner of all-time
present > Donovan McNabb, the future blueprint of the QB
blackdogsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 04:48 PM   #18
Marc
Administrator
 
Marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Lake Wylie, SC
Posts: 26,459
Marc will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Kashchei
No comment. :tsk:
Your Cowboy haterism aside, what can you possibly say negatively about Favre?
__________________
Marc James - SCMB Administrator | Sports Central Managing Editor & Founder
Teams: [Kentucky Wildcats] [Green Bay Packers] [Charlotte Hornets]
Follow on Twitter: @mnjames | @sportcentral
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 08:40 PM   #19
#99
Hall of Famer
 
#99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,062
#99 is on a distinguished road
Default

Tim Brown

Barry Sanders would be 2nd.
__________________
It tastes like... burning.
Teams: LA Kings, Raiders, Lakers, A's, Arizona Wildcats, Liverpool FC, South Africa Springbok Rugby
2005 College Football Pick 'em Champ
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 08:41 PM   #20
#99
Hall of Famer
 
#99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,062
#99 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Titans100
Deion Sanders PRIMETIME himself
Probably my least favorite player.
__________________
It tastes like... burning.
Teams: LA Kings, Raiders, Lakers, A's, Arizona Wildcats, Liverpool FC, South Africa Springbok Rugby
2005 College Football Pick 'em Champ
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 08:56 PM   #21
Kashchei
Grizzled Veteran
 
Kashchei's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lone Star State
Posts: 70
Kashchei is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc
Your Cowboy haterism aside, what can you possibly say negatively about Favre?
That he's a hack!
__________________
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I am the meanest mother****** in the valley."
-- General George S. Patton
Kashchei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 02:57 AM   #22
Anthony
Moderator
 
Anthony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 8,377
Anthony is on a distinguished road
Default

Me, I'd probably go with Herschel Walker. If only he had been 15 years older (and hence would have gotten to have most of his career come before the chuck rule was adopted), he would have broken every rushing record that ever existed.

Last edited by Anthony; 07-28-2005 at 09:06 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 11:06 AM   #23
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,309
tobynosker is on a distinguished road
Default

I have never posted in the NFL message boards, but I had to say I agree with those who have said Barry Sanders.

Sanders was drafted in one of the best NFL drafts in recent history, with Troy Aikmen, Tony Mandarich, Barry Sanders, Derrick Thomas and Deion Sanders being selected with the top five picks of the 1989 NFL Draft. As the first true junior ever selected in the NFL Draft, it is obvious years later that he is the standout player of that draft.

After winning NFL Rookie of the Year in 1989, NFL Player of the Year in 1991 and 1997, the NFC Most Valuable Player Award in 1994, while also earning the honor of being a Ten-Time Pro Bowl Selection, and a Four-Time NFL Rushing Leader, Sanders would retire with 15,269 yards (only 1,457 yards short of becoming the NFL's All-Time rushing leader) and 99 career touchdowns after only ten seasons. Sanders was the first NFL back to run for 1,000 yards ten years in a row and the first to run for 1,500 yards four years in a row (accomplished the feat five times). He was a first or second team All-NFL selection in each of his ten seasons in the league, and a member of the 1990s All-Decade Team.

Plus, the guy was the back-up to Thurman Thomas at Oklahoma State University, where in 1986 he rushed for 325 yards and two touchdowns. In 1987, Sanders rushed for 603 yards and eights touchdowns. In 1988, the question surrounding the Cowboys was whether or not they could replace the run-game of Thomas. That season, Sanders went on to set new NCAA records with 2,628 rushing yards, 3,249 total yards, 39 touchdowns and 234 points. Sanders holds the record for most consecutive games scoring two or more touchdowns rushing with 12.

He was the greatest running back the game has ever seen, and probably the most dominate player in NFL history.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 12:29 PM   #24
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3
 
davematthews3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sussex NJ
Posts: 2,305
davematthews3 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by tobynosker
[B He was the greatest running back the game has ever seen, and probably the most dominate player in NFL history. [/B]
I have to disagree with you here I belive that Jim Brown is the Greatest Running back ever and also the most dominate player of all time. He played fewer seasons then barry and he is still regarded as one of the best players ever. That seems to be pretty dominant to me.
__________________
Danny:I haven't even told my father I'm not gonna get that scholarship. I'm gonna end up working in a lumberyard the rest of my life.
Ty:What's wrong with lumber? I own two lumberyards
Danny: notice you don't spend too much time there
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 02:45 PM   #25
#99
Hall of Famer
 
#99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,062
#99 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by tobynosker
I have never posted in the NFL message boards, but I had to say I agree with those who have said Barry Sanders.

Sanders was drafted in one of the best NFL drafts in recent history, with Troy Aikmen, Tony Mandarich, Barry Sanders, Derrick Thomas and Deion Sanders being selected with the top five picks of the 1989 NFL Draft. As the first true junior ever selected in the NFL Draft, it is obvious years later that he is the standout player of that draft.

After winning NFL Rookie of the Year in 1989, NFL Player of the Year in 1991 and 1997, the NFC Most Valuable Player Award in 1994, while also earning the honor of being a Ten-Time Pro Bowl Selection, and a Four-Time NFL Rushing Leader, Sanders would retire with 15,269 yards (only 1,457 yards short of becoming the NFL's All-Time rushing leader) and 99 career touchdowns after only ten seasons. Sanders was the first NFL back to run for 1,000 yards ten years in a row and the first to run for 1,500 yards four years in a row (accomplished the feat five times). He was a first or second team All-NFL selection in each of his ten seasons in the league, and a member of the 1990s All-Decade Team.

Plus, the guy was the back-up to Thurman Thomas at Oklahoma State University, where in 1986 he rushed for 325 yards and two touchdowns. In 1987, Sanders rushed for 603 yards and eights touchdowns. In 1988, the question surrounding the Cowboys was whether or not they could replace the run-game of Thomas. That season, Sanders went on to set new NCAA records with 2,628 rushing yards, 3,249 total yards, 39 touchdowns and 234 points. Sanders holds the record for most consecutive games scoring two or more touchdowns rushing with 12.

He was the greatest running back the game has ever seen, and probably the most dominate player in NFL history.
I absolutely agree that he was the best RB in NFL history, but I have to ask: Did your post come out of a media guide?
__________________
It tastes like... burning.
Teams: LA Kings, Raiders, Lakers, A's, Arizona Wildcats, Liverpool FC, South Africa Springbok Rugby
2005 College Football Pick 'em Champ
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 02:54 PM   #26
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,309
tobynosker is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
I have to disagree with you here I belive that Jim Brown is the Greatest Running back ever and also the most dominate player of all time. He played fewer seasons then barry and he is still regarded as one of the best players ever. That seems to be pretty dominant to me.
I knew I was going to start something with that comment.

I agree Jim Brown is one of the greatest running backs of all-time, and certainly was the most dominate player of his era. But Brown played in an era in the league where there was a lack of talented running backs. Brown is the starting place for what eventually became a long-list of tremendous running backs to follow in the NFL, including Tony Dorsett, Walter Payton, OJ Simpson and Gale Sayers. Because their was little competition during that time, and Brown was dominate on the field, that's why he ended up winning the league Most Valuable Player Award four times.

Barry Sanders was the running back that stood out the most during his era of play, which also featured great backs like Marcus Allen, Terrell Davis, Erick Dickerson, Mashall Faulk, Emmitt Smith and Thurman Thomas. And if you took away Barry Sanders' tenth season in the NFL, he still had more career rushing yards (13,778 yards compared to 12,312 yards), more career receiving yards (2,632 yards compared to 2,499 yards), and more combined net yards (16,410 yards compared to 15,459 yards) than Jim Brown in nine seasons of play.

It would have been interesting to see what both of these guys could have done had they played past the age of 30.

Quote:
I absolutely agree that he was the best RB in NFL history, but I have to ask: Did your post come out of a media guide?
Anyone that has seen some of my posts know that I like to bring a lot of facts and history to my arguements to back up my statements or opinions.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 02:57 PM   #27
#99
Hall of Famer
 
#99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,062
#99 is on a distinguished road
Default

No, I know that. Wasn't trying to get nasty, but the similiarity is overriding.
__________________
It tastes like... burning.
Teams: LA Kings, Raiders, Lakers, A's, Arizona Wildcats, Liverpool FC, South Africa Springbok Rugby
2005 College Football Pick 'em Champ
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 03:45 PM   #28
FMHornet
All-Star Player
 
FMHornet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 212
FMHornet is on a distinguished road
Default

Jim Machine Gun Kelly!
__________________
"Hitting the ball was easy. Running around the bases was the tough part" - Mickey Mantle
FMHornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 02:42 AM   #29
Anthony
Moderator
 
Anthony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 8,377
Anthony is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by FMHornet
Jim Machine Gun Kelly!

You mean the man who holds the all-time NFL record for highest average yards per completion in a single game? On September 10, 1995 against Carolina, Kelly completed only four passes despite playing the entire game - yet those four completions went for 176 yards, for an average of exactly 44 yards per completion.

Now if you can tell me whose record Kelly broke, then you're really good!
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 11:07 AM   #30
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3
 
davematthews3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sussex NJ
Posts: 2,305
davematthews3 is on a distinguished road
Default

I am going to tak a guess at this but I have no clue is it Sam Baugh
__________________
Danny:I haven't even told my father I'm not gonna get that scholarship. I'm gonna end up working in a lumberyard the rest of my life.
Ty:What's wrong with lumber? I own two lumberyards
Danny: notice you don't spend too much time there
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:54 PM.