Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 08-12-2005, 10:19 PM   #1
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road
Default NFL Preseason

Even though it has just started it has already claimed a signifcant player. Rex Grossman broke his ankle and is out for 2-3 months. Hopefully the preseason won't claim anymore. Also hopefully Grossman can comeback sad to see this guy get derailed again.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 04:23 AM   #2
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Now they're saying it's going to be more like 3 to 4 months, after which bringing him back would be pointless.

Does this mean that Matthew the Lion Heart is headed for the Windy City?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 09:54 AM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

What do you mean? All is not lost, they still have Chad Hutchinson. :lol:
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 01:32 PM   #4
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

We may get to see if Kyle Orton can perform. I mean it isn't like they have anything to lose. Give the kid a shot. Chad has had chances and he has been terrible so if Orton can play like he did at the beggining of the college football season last year they may be ok it is doubtful but they should give it a chance.
Old 08-13-2005, 02:59 PM   #5
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Wow, Grossman is having TERRIBLE luck (and the Bears, too, for that matter). I think people can hopefully stop picking the Bears over the Packers in the NFC North now (excuse me while I shop laughing). But don't Florida QBs have a terrible history in the NFL? It's like the Gator jinx striking again.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 04:19 PM   #6
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I didn't see any of the game, but from what I read in the paper it sounded as though Orton looked pretty sharp.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:25 PM   #7
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

Grossman and Charles Rogers are a good pair. Rogers misses basically 2 seasons, and now Grossman is almost going to do the same. It must be something in the water up north or something lol.
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 03:19 AM   #8
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

What's Jeff George up to these days?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 11:32 AM   #9
Titans100
Vince Young ROY

Titans100 is on a distinguished road

Ricky Williams looked fair last night in the Dolphins vs. Browns game. He rushed 6 times for 39 yards and no TD's. Meanwhile, Eli looked like he already had his new #1 on lock with their touchdown hook-up.

Fav Teams:
Tennessee Titans
LA Lakers
Pittsburgh Pirates
Titans100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 02:42 PM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Looks like the Cowboys may still have work to do. Warner torches them for 151 yards in less than a half of work.

It still does not look like the Chiefs can stop anyone either. The Vikings just moved the ball at will on the Chiefs.

From what I saw of the Redskins against the Panthers last night they still looked rather inept out there on the field. Patrick Ramsey threw an absolutely brutal INT to Chris Gamble.

None of the first round QBs look like they are ready to play just yet. That is not to say they won't be come September just that they all had rather uninspiring pre-season debuts.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:57 PM   #11
Kashchei
Grizzled Veteran

Kashchei is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by doublee
Looks like the Cowboys may still have work to do. Warner torches them for 151 yards in less than a half of work.

Both offensive and defensive lines looked lost and uncoordinated. The backup Tony Romo looked better than Bledsoe. There were holes in the secondary. Jones wasn't that impressive. Witten played well as usual. Not a good first impression...
Old 08-15-2005, 10:56 AM   #12
Titans100
Vince Young ROY

Titans100 is on a distinguished road

I was very impressed with the way Tim Rattay played the other day. He isn't giving his starting job up without a fight.

Bledsoe looked like the same aging quarterback that gets lucky every once in awhile.

Kurt Warner looked terrific, he has just had bad luck in recent years from his thumb to the meltdown in New York last season.

Fav Teams:
Tennessee Titans
LA Lakers
Pittsburgh Pirates
Titans100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 02:25 PM   #13
Kashchei
Grizzled Veteran

Kashchei is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Titans100

Bledsoe looked like the same aging quarterback that gets lucky every once in awhile.
At least it's an upgrade from Vinny who sucked and never got lucky.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:36 PM   #14
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

The Bears back up plan seems to be Jeff Blake. Wow are they in trouble.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:26 PM   #15
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

It's been a little while since I have posted on the boards (work, vacation, sickness, family members in the hospital following a twelve-car pile up in Columbia, Missouri, the start of practices for the fall sports season, and taking in a double-header yesterday afternoon at Kaufmann Stadium between the Kansas City Royals and the Detroit Tigers have kept me busy as of late), but I thought I would comment on the Kansas City Cheifs' preseason game against the Minnesota Vikings. And forgive me if some of my comments come off as excuses from a homer.

The Kansas City Chiefs entered the game far from tested after Head Coach Dick Vermeil gave the team Thursday Night off, and then due to the weather on Friday in River Falls, Wisconsin, had only a one-hour walk-through practice for their last workout before the game.

Offensively, Kansas City will be glad to have Running Back Priest Holmes back, after missing eight games last season due to a knee injury. Holmes played just two series, carried the ball four times and rushed for 42 yards, including a 21-yard run on his first carry. Holmes later told reporters "If I was to rate myself, I'm somewhere between 75 and 80 percent. I've taken the option to practice only once a day (at training camp), and that means I won't get ready as quickly as if I were practicing twice a day. But that works to my advantage in that I'm getting a little more rest. When it comes time to play (in the regular season), I'll be ready." Backup Running Back Larry Johnson added eight carries for 37-yards, and both Holmes and Johnson did their damage without starting Right Guard Will Shields on the field.

Kansas City Quarterback Trent Green still remains one of the most underrated quarterbacks in the league. Even though they didn't score a touchdown on their opening drive, the offense was playing without Wide Receiver Eddie Kennison and with Tight End Tony Gonzalez battling some preseason injuries. They didn't include second-year Tight End Kris Wilson into the passing game with the first-string team, and Chris Horn dropped a pass when he was wide-open up the middle. Plus, backup Quarterback Todd Collins replaced Trent Green late in the first quarter and was scheduled to play into the second half, but left the game early with a bruised right hand. Third-string Quarterback Damon Huard played the rest of the way.

Quote:
It still does not look like the Chiefs can stop anyone either. The Vikings just moved the ball at will on the Chiefs.
As far as the defense is concerned, the Chiefs played without hard-hitting Pro Bowl Linebacker Kendrell Bell, defensive tackle Carlos Hall, Defensive End Khari Long, and Linebackers Mike Maslowski and Shawn Barber. Yet, new offseason pickups Patrick Surtain, Sammy Knight and rookie Linebacker Derrick Johnson all looked impressive and worthy of the money spent to bring them into Defensive Coordinator Gunther Cunningham's system. Safety William Bartee played well adjusting to the new position and picking up an interception, and Linebacker Kawika Mitchell stuffed Minnesota Running Back Michael Bennett on consecutive plays. The only questionable defensive moment came when Vikings' Running Back Mewelde Moore took off on a 50-yard run, after a missed tackle by Kansas City Defensive End Jared Allen at the line of scrimmage.

Of course Daunte Culpepper and the Minnesota Vikings offense made quick work of the Chiefs' defense, as Culpepper went four-for-four for 70-yards on the opening drive, including a 33-yard screen pass to Nate Burleson for a touchdown. On their third series, with Culpepper on the bench and backup Quarterback Brad Johnson running the show, the Vikings had great field position, taking over at the Chiefs' 42-yard line after a 43-yard kickoff return and a facemask penalty. But the Chiefs forced Minnesota to go three plays and out.

The defense didn't look great, but they didn't look like the same defense that finished 31st in total defense last season. Before the preseason, I picked Kansas City to begin the season going one-and-three, much like last season. I don't expect them to beat the playoff-tested New York Jets at home in Week 1, and I think they will drop their second-game on the road in Oakland. I also thought the Chiefs would lose at home to Philadelphia, but considering that team's problems, and the fact that Kansas City should begin to gel as a unit by Week 4, that game begins to look better for the Chiefs by the passing day. But I believe Kansas City can make a strong run at the end of the season, and win six of their last seven games.

I picked Kansas City to go 10-6, a three-game turnaround, and finish second in the AFC West behind San Diego. As far as the schedule is concerned, I believe Kansas City has a good shot at beating the Philadelphia Eagles and San Diego at home, as well as picking up wins at home against Washington, Oakland, Denver, and Cincinnati. On the road, Kansas City also has a great shot at beating Miami, Buffalo, Houston, Dallas, and the New York Giants. I believe the only sure losses for Kansas City this season will be at home against the New York Jets and the New England Patriots, as well as on the road against San Diego.

Now, if we could just keep our player's out of trouble. Kansas City's defensive tackle Junior Siavii and Safety Greg Wesley were arrested one night after the game with Minnesota in Minneapolis on suspicion of disorderly conduct. According to police reports, Siavii charged at officers in the lobby of the Graves 601 Hotel, but was sprayed with a chemical irritant and arrested.

As far as the other teams in the AFC West are concerned...

The Denver Broncos victory Saturday Night over the Houston Texans didn't really show too much of what Denver is capable of doing on either side of the ball. Fresh off of a raise, Bronco Quarterback Jake Plummer played three series, struggling in the first two. On the Broncos' first pass attempt of the night, Plummer had Ashley Lelie wide open, behind the Houston defenders up the Broncos sideline, but the pass drifted right and landed out of bounds. Plummer ended the night with a 10 play, 76-yard drive that was capped off with a 3-yard touchdown pass to Tight End Stephen Alexander. After trading starting running back Ruben Droughns in the offseason, Denver started Mike Anderson who carried six times for 12 yards. The defense looked good, stopping the Houston Texans from scoring after they had set up fourth and goal on the 1-yard line, but then allowed Houston backup quarterback Tony Banks to move the Texans 44-yards in six plays, including a 31-yard touchdown to Matt Murphy. Houston Quarterback David Carr played one-series, threw just two passes, and only completed one of them.

Oakland didn't look good in their preseason loss to San Francisco, 21-13 Saturday Night. Oakland gave up a great opportunity to showcase its new offense after its defense had done its job, holding San Francisco rookie quarterback Alex Smith to 3 of 9 completions for 25 yards. Wide Receiver, and the Oakland Radiers' new team leader, Randy Moss only had one catch for 11 yards in two-series, and the Raiders had to settle for one field goal from Sebastian Janikowski out of two drives for the first team offense. And defensively, the Raiders looked much better than a team that ranked 30th among 32 NFL teams last season. But, they were going up against a rookie quarterback in his first NFL action, and San Francisco was missing four of its five projected starters on the offensive line because of injuries. Oakland Cornerback Stanford Routt looked terrible, as he was involved in two San Francisco touchdowns and was also on the receiving end of a 30-yard catch and run by Brandon Lloyd.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote