Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 08-09-2005, 04:14 PM   #1
The Executioner
All-Star Player

The Executioner is on a distinguished road
Default Heisman hopefulls

Matt Leinart seems to be the favorite big time this year. But I see it going to someone else. These are the top 10 heisman hopefuls.
It all really depends on how the team does, and like usual, it will probaly go to the best player on the best team.

1. Leinart- got to give it to him as of now, but I don't see hime winning it.
2- Vince Young- If Texas can beat Oklahoma and beat A&M, Tech, and Ok State, than he will be leading them, and he will deserve the heisman.
3. Drew Tate- Just depends on how Iowa does, probaly would have to beat Michigan and Ohio State and have fantastic games in those games to win.
4. Laurence Marooney- Minnesota is ready to do nothing but run with a beefy offesnive line. He put up 1200 last year splitting with Marion Barber, I know he will have huge numbers this year, but his team probaly isn't good enough for him to win.
5. Chris Leak- Very Exciting, I don't buy into alot though, too eratic, but if he can change that, decent shot.
6. Adrian Peterson- Just won't have the season he had as a freshman.
7. Gerald Riggs- Will get alot of carries and Tennesse is poised to have a great year.
8. Reggie Mcneal- Ready to lead good Aggie team, but it will be so tough in that big 12 south, very good player though.
9. A.J. Hawk- Have too put a defensive player on here, and he's the best in the country.
10. Deangelo Williams/ Jamario Thomas- will put up the best numbers in the country. Watch the two if you want to see a good show
( by the way, watch North Texas at LSU in the first week of football. Jamario will put that "great d-line" to the test.

Others to watch out for- Donovan Woods( see Reggie Mcneal), Mike Hass ( maybe the best wr in football and he's white!), Brad Smith(remember this guy as a freshman?, despite terrible year last year, he's still got it in him.), Jarret Hicks, and Reggie Bush(can't see him winning with the best qb in the country on his team.)

bring on the Trojans, Longhorns too!
The Executioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 09:40 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Have a look at this:

Who will win the Heisman Trophy in 2005? SC's Avery Smith continues his 2005 previews with analysis on which candidate has the best shot at the elusive award. Avery will also respond to some of the juiciest reader comments received in the last month.

https://www.sports-central.org/sport...heisman_10.php

His top three is: 3) Leinart; 2) Young; 1) Bush.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 10:46 PM   #3
The Executioner
All-Star Player

The way the heisman works, I can't see the heisman ending up in USC and not going to Leinart.

Old 08-10-2005, 11:54 PM   #4
190 Octane
All-Star Player

190 Octane is on a distinguished road

It's a shame Vince Young is getting so much more Heisman buzz than McNeal, as I believe they are, at the very least, equal. McNeal might be a more complete QB.

I can definitely see Leinart being the first two-time winner. If it's not him, I'm calling Drew Tate in a sleeper pick.

Blog
190 Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 05:40 PM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Wow, I am not sure how you put together a top ten Heisman list for this year and only have Reggie Bush in the 'Others to Watch' section. He did finish in the top five in voting last year and USC is an early favorite to win it all again this year which means he will get tons of hype along with Leinart.

Vince Young is getting much more Heisman buzz because Texas is a higher-profile program and are seen as the better team hence he will be getting more attention from the media. Plus, Cedric Benson is not there to steal his thunder this year.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 09:49 PM   #6
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

If Texas goes undefeated throughout the season(meaning we finally beat OU) and get the Big 12 Championship, the Heisman will come down to Vince Young and Leinart. And if the Horns do go undefeated, i look for Vince to bring home the trophy....but that of course is a big IF.
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 11:13 PM   #7
Kashchei
Grizzled Veteran

Kashchei is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by coachJ
If Texas goes undefeated throughout the season(meaning we finally beat OU) and get the Big 12 Championship, the Heisman will come down to Vince Young and Leinart. And if the Horns do go undefeated, i look for Vince to bring home the trophy....but that of course is a big IF.
But the voters are going to be looking at more than rushing stats. McNeal has a way better arm than Young. Young is just like the NCAA version of Michael Vick. He can run, but his passing is mediocre. Leinart's arm and a third USC Championship is going to win him the Heisman.

#2) Reggie Bush
Old 08-11-2005, 11:24 PM   #8
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

I agree 100%. McNeal is the better QB, but he will be in the shadow of Vince Young all year long unless the Aggies beat the Horns the day after Thanksgiving. If that happens, then McNeal will emmerge, but if not, everybody will keep talking Vince....
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 01:22 PM   #9
The Executioner
All-Star Player

Like I said, it just depends on how the teams do. Reggie Bush will be in the top 10, and should be, but that was a ranking of top 10 people to win the heisman. IMO there is no way Reggie Bush wins the heisman with Leinhart on his team.

Old 08-12-2005, 01:53 PM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by coachJ
I agree 100%. McNeal is the better QB, but he will be in the shadow of Vince Young all year long unless the Aggies beat the Horns the day after Thanksgiving. If that happens, then McNeal will emmerge, but if not, everybody will keep talking Vince....
Here is the thing. If you want to win the Heisman as a QB you either have to go undefeated or only lose one game or you have to put up Andre Ware/Ty Detmer Tecmo Bowl numbers. So, unless McNeal throws 40 TDs this year A&M will have to either go unbeaten or drop one game and I have not seen anyone picking them as a legit top five team this year like most are with Texas.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:18 PM   #11
The Executioner
All-Star Player

sorry i forgot Ted Ginn, I would have him around 9. But i have Steve Breaston up there too. Too very alike players.

Marcus Vick is my darkhorse. I like this Virginia tech team alot this year. He may have trouble with the law, but that doesn't mean he can't play. He's surrounded by too great backs in Cedric Humes and Mike Imoh. Young recievers getting very good- Josh Hyman, Eddie Royal, Josh Morgan. solid o-line. Front seven is incredible. Remember he is Mike's little brother. I think he can be almost as good. and will be a nightmare to all defensive cordnators. The Vick game just works and college football. Techs team can do well enough for him to win too.

Old 08-26-2005, 11:23 PM   #12
190 Octane
All-Star Player

I noticed there's no love for Derek Hagan of Arizona State. He's a long shot for sure, but he's the best WR in the nation, IMO, and that includes Ginn.

Blog
Old 08-26-2005, 11:25 PM   #13
The Executioner
All-Star Player

dang, your absolutely right. I agree. I like Hass and him. Whole lotta of good players to remember.

Old 08-26-2005, 11:43 PM   #14
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

If anyone is interested ESPN has posted its preseason watch list:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/heisman/index

Matt Leinart - USC
Reggie Bush - USC
Adrian Peterson - Oklahoma
Vince Young - Texas
Ted Ginn - OSU
DeAngelo Williams - Memphis
Reggie McNeal - Texas A&M
Marshawn Lynch - Cal
Omar Jacobs - Bowling Green
Chris Leak - Florida
Laurence Maroney - Minnesota
Gerald Riggs - Tennessee
Marcus Vick - Va Tech
Old 08-27-2005, 12:08 AM   #15
190 Octane
All-Star Player

Quote:
Originally posted by The Executioner
dang, your absolutely right. I agree. I like Hass and him. Whole lotta of good players to remember.
The thing Hagan has going for him over Mike Hass is Hagan will be playing with a very good quarterback in Sam Keller. Oregon State's QB situation is much less stable.

Blog