Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 09-11-2008, 08:03 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default Shaq's retirement nears...

Suns' O'Neal puts timetable on retirement

ORLANDO -- Not 732 or 733 or 734 days.

No, Phoenix Suns center Shaquille O'Neal knows his life will change in exactly 735 days.

"My basketball career will be over in 735 days," O'Neal told News 13 television in Orlando, Fla. "And being an educated man, I've always had things to fall back on. So one of my options is law enforcement."

O'Neal, who was drafted by the Orlando Magic but has since played for the Los Angeles Lakers, Miami Heat and Phoenix Suns, still has a house in Central Florida. He spoke of his possible future plans Wednesday with the kids at the Pine Hills Boys and Girls Club.

O'Neal has long had an interest in law enforcement and went through the training with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Reserve Academy before becoming a reserve officer with the L.A. Port Police.

ESPN.com news services

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3582605

Still looks like he'll play out his final two years and call it a day.

Kind of sad the way he was disrespected by the media,fans and NBA in general down the stretch but life at the top is rough sometimes.

When he retires he'll rank #3 on my list of greatest centers of all-time...

1. Bill Russell
2. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
3. Shaquille O'Neal
4. George Mikan
5. Moses Malone
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:24 PM   #2
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

A shame it is...

I know I'll miss him when he's gone.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:40 AM   #3
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

I thought that the police kicked him out after his rap about Kobe. I guess he just got suspended or something?
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:46 AM   #4
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

I believe that was just an honorary position.

Now if he retires, being verbally aggressive with the Bryant rap will look good on his resume for applying to be a cop.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:09 AM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

It was but I think the references made to the law enforcement were years ago. I don't think he has any affiliation with LA law enforcement any more. When he was with the Heat he worked with the Dade County sherrif's office. I think it was Glendale police in AZ that gave him the boot.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 10:43 PM   #6
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I thought his sheriff's badge was revoked after his profane rap about Kobe. At any rate, Shaq will be fine after his playing days. He lives like a king.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:34 AM   #7
ghostofSC
All-Star Player

ghostofSC is on a distinguished road

Shaq should have retired after Miami won the NBA Championship. He's basically a run-of-the-mill center now making a hall-of-famer salary and he's only going to get worse. Will his legacy be ruined by playing two more years of uninspired basketball? Probably not. But his glory days are behind him, he's got nothing left to prove and now all he can do is take up space. I'll be interested to see if he can even run up and down the court for a half without fall over.
ghostofSC is offline   Reply With Quote