Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Basketball

Old 01-19-2006, 01:46 AM   #76
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

USC at UCLA
Lol. The Trojans laid an egg. The Bruins put them in their place. I watched the Affalo (spelling?) guy on UCLA for the first time. He's got a solid jumper, but considering how USC was defending anyone could've scored tonight

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 01:53 AM   #77
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

WVU plays at UCLA on Saturday. Should be interesting.
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 11:04 PM   #78
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Boy, the Tar Heels are plummeting quickly dropping one at home to Miami and then taking one on the chin at UVA last night.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 05:36 PM   #79
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

Duke loses! WOOO! Nice job Georgetown. I also wanna give props to my local Big East team, St. Johns, for beating formerly undefeated Pitt.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 06:27 PM   #80
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

now I'm nervous about the UF game tonight. They say bad things happen in 3's.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 07:00 PM   #81
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

That Duke/G'Town game was damn good. Very entertaining. I felt bad for that Duke PG at the end, woulda liked to see him get a shot off, or the ball to Redick. Something to redeem his awful game. Kid'll learn from that game though.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 07:09 PM   #82
Gohawks
All-Star Player

Gohawks is on a distinguished road

MUsh Bruce Pearl sure does have Tennesse on track... Sure wish Iowa had Bruce as head coach... Oh yea; Iowa got throttled by MSU at the Breslin Center today... I can handle a loss to MSU at the Breslin Center No DOubt.... But by 30.... Nah, thats a little too much.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:01 PM   #83
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

G-Town played a great game, but that was the worst Duke has played this season and Paulus looked like a freshman in that game today. They played like absolute garbage in the first half and missed a ton of shots that they usually convert on. Redick is just playing insanely well right now.

Pearl definitely has Tennessee headed in the right direction. They went to Texas and smoked the Horns and played Memphis close the other night.

How do the Badgers lose at home to North Dakota St.? I thought Madison was supposed to be one of the toughest places to play in for visiting teams.

Nice win for the 'Neers knocking off UCLA today.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 01:41 AM   #84
kevwoe91
Sports Enthusiast

kevwoe91 is on a distinguished road

Nice job by 'Nova to beat the tar out of 'Cuse tonight, I was going to go to the game, but when I got there it was sold out.
kevwoe91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 02:00 PM   #85
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

I didn't catch the game, but now there remain no undefeateds.

WVU didn't play well in the second half of the second half, but played well enough to beat UCLA on their court. Three Top 20 teams in the last month.

You must understand, as a Mountaineer fan from, if not exactly birth, the time I started monitoring sports (about age 10, I think), this is the first time that WV and Final Four have been uttered in the same sentence. Probably haven't been words mentioned together since Jerry West wore Old Gold and Blue.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:47 PM   #86
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

West Virginia is having a great season but they're really going to have to keep playing at a high level like this just to make it through the Big East season. Even the middle of the road teams like Georgetown and St. John's proved that they're both capable of playing with the best in college basketball.

I have to say that Mike Gainsey and Kevin Pittsnogle (best name in college hoops today- by far) are two of the most underrated players in the game right now. Gainsey is one of the best shooters and has the same stroke right now that he had in the NCAA's last year. Both have the same blue collar, get the job done attitude that fueled the football team to an 11-1 season. As a PSU fan, I really shouldn't be excited about the recent success of the 'Eers because of the past gridiron "rivalry" WVU-PSU but I'm especially enjoying the success of the basketball program. What Beilen has done in Morgantown gives me hope that Penn State hoops can re-emerge, wait emerge, on the national scene. Who was talking about WVU this time last season? Very few.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:29 PM   #87
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

The Mountaineers got by the Hoyas once this year (at home, I believe, but I'd have to check). I don't think we've seen the Red Storm yet, though.

I always feel a little bit guilty about rooting for the Nittany Lions because of that pre-MegaConference "rivalry" (and believe me, we recognize the folly in calling WVU-PSU a rivalry, but we really hated you guys--25 straight losses will do that!)--which I like to call the good ol' days--but since we no longer play, and there seems to be no plan to renew the matchup in the forseeable future, I rationalize it that way.

It's much easier to target all of my college sports ire toward any and all Florida schools. (And, no, I haven't been possessed by 78.)
Old 01-23-2006, 12:47 AM   #88
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Every Big East schedule is just NUTS. WVU finishes with this five...UCONN, Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt, Cincy. The Big East will get 8 teams minimum to the Tournament and have an outside shot at TWELVE.

They have five teams better than the second best ACC team. 6 or 7 better than the Big Ten #2. I'm sure they stack up well with the other conference, but I mainly watch Big East/Ten and ACC games.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 02:46 AM   #89
El Jefe
Philosopher of Sport

El Jefe is on a distinguished road

I attended the WVU-UCLA game...it had a very exciting atmosphere overall. The first half, man...with Afflalo playing poorly there was just no immediate backup plan for the early meltdown. I'm just glad the guys made a great push in the second half, only holding the 'Neers to 21. Ryan Hollins played the game of his life...and I can only hope he can do it on a consistent basis, which would be an invaluable asset for these baby bears. I liked what I saw from Farmar as he's getting more comfortable playing on his gimpy ankle, but that ending was just so anti-climatic and with 3 fouls to give at that point, it was a great move by Gansey to be aggressive and silly of Farmar to be lazy with the ball right there.

What ultimately killed the Bruins was a combined 0-12 in 3pt. shots from Afflalo and Michael Roll...two of their better perimeter shooters. Roll was filling in nicely with Shipp out, but this was his first tank since taking over the starting slot. Hopefully Bozeman will come back and maintain what he brought before his shoulder injury.

The officiating really bugged me in the 2nd half though...there was some ridiculously bad calls and missed calls and it seemed like the Bruins were battling with them the whole time. Howland even stormed onto the court to yell at one of the officials and somehow escaped with no technical. Too bad I can't say there weren't pac-10 officials involved...damn do they suck. It's not Cal out there guys!

WVU was just lights out in that first half...very impressive considering Pittsnogle was quiet throughout. It's a team UCLA should not be ashamed of losing to by any means, and in the end a good lesson for a very young Bruins squad.

Last edited by El Jefe; 01-24-2006 at 03:06 AM.
El Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 12:01 PM   #90
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

From bad to worse...
The Gators lose their second in a row to South Carolina! Jeez!

I really think they were SO overated earlier this season even with going undefeated, and the hype went to their heads. Hopefully Donovan can stop the bleeding....
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote