Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

View Poll Results: Best Player Commercial?
Carmelo Anthony's latest 0 0%
Kobe Bryant - Hate me 1 10.00%
Kevin Garnett - What's Inside 1 10.00%
LeBron James - The LeBrons 3 30.00%
Michael Jordan - Air Jordan XXI 5 50.00%
Shawn Marion - Pickup game 0 0%
Tracy McGrady - Unstoppable 0 0%
Amare Stoudamire - Tell me I can't. I don't hear you. 0 0%
Jermaine O'Neal - Vending Machine 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-22-2006, 02:07 AM   #16
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Jefe
I only liked one Lebrons commercial, and that was the dancing one. All the others sucked in my opinion.
How the HELL can you come out and say the Jordan commercial "sucked" ? Are you normal? Partially INSANE? Honest to God.

Oh wow, there's a couple of LeBrons acting like goofs and dancing. There's one to put up on the mantel. PLEASE. It was good for one laugh and then you NEVER want to see it again.

The Jordan commercial captures memories and the legacy of Jordan for the past TWENTY YEARS. You just can't compare that **** with any of these other lame commercials out there. SOME players have good ones, but the rest of them blow hard.

Anyway's, to really see how well this commercial was done, some guy put up a video with the commercial and the original MJ clips beside it. It's INSANE when watching it like this. Everyone watch it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZjbTq4DcAQ
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 02:52 AM   #17
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

I think El Jefe meant he liked the "Superfreak" LeBrons commercial, but didn't like the other LeBron ones (shooting biscuits, old man talking about his quadruple-double). I don't think he was referring to the other players' commercials.

PS: Wow, that youtube video is pretty badass.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 04:22 AM   #18
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
Anyway's, to really see how well this commercial was done, some guy put up a video with the commercial and the original MJ clips beside it. It's INSANE when watching it like this. Everyone watch it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZjbTq4DcAQ
WOW!!! that was COOL! Thanks for the link, Brian!!
dammit, I'mma have to change my vote.
That really brought back some memories.

Which would put the Jordan commercial even with the LeBrons...

We need a tie-breaker, y'all! :wavey:
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 04:27 AM   #19
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
How the HELL can you come out and say the Jordan commercial "sucked" ? Are you normal? Partially INSANE? Honest to God.

Oh wow, there's a couple of LeBrons acting like goofs and dancing. There's one to put up on the mantel. PLEASE. It was good for one laugh and then you NEVER want to see it again.

The Jordan commercial captures memories and the legacy of Jordan for the past TWENTY YEARS. You just can't compare that **** with any of these other lame commercials out there. SOME players have good ones, but the rest of them blow hard.
I loved the Jordan commercial too, but chill out man. It's an opinion, he's entitled to his.

-RB
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 04:39 AM   #20
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

What I don't like about the Jordan commercial is the Game 6 shot. The kid doesn't really shove the defender like MJ did to Russell. Granted, from what I understand, the kids did the moves on their own, without much instruction or anything.

Old 03-22-2006, 05:01 AM   #21
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

That's what I heard too. The kids weren't given real direction, just told to reenact their most memorable Jordan moment.

That said, I'm sure they weren't in a big hurry to depict Jordan as someone who shoved Russell out of the way to get the shot off.

-RB
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 04:57 PM   #22
El Jefe
Philosopher of Sport

El Jefe is on a distinguished road

Hey Brian-

I didn't say I thought the Jordan commercial sucked. I like that one a lot actually...I just like to make fun of the fact it shows a kid learning the poor trash-talking ways of MJ in one particular scene.

The Lebrons campaign, however, I didn't like...which should be evident by the fact the only one I liked had basically no substance other than some funny, entertaining dancing moves.

None of you guys really dug the KG spot eh? I guess from my knowledge of how much work had gone into that, I'm more impressed than others.

Da12ken...it's not bad...the work environment is def. more my style than the typical 9-5 job. Finding PA work shouldn't prove to be too difficult... just need to learn the ropes, keep on your feet, and find a good production team that likes you. Hit me up w/ a pm if you'd like and we can discuss in more detail.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:08 AM   #23
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
None of you guys really dug the KG spot eh? I guess from my knowledge of how much work had gone into that, I'm more impressed than others.
Oh yeah you can definitely tell how much work went into the KG spot, and it had interesting transitions, but fancy camerawork does not a good video make.
Not that it's a bad spot, just doesn't have any real center focus or lasting impact.

And as much as I'm a huge Kobe fan, ...not too keen on his spot either. I see the angle they're trying to hit, and it's not bad, but the background music isn't right, and we've already seen commercials of Kobe (with Sprite) milking the "gym rat" image... And to top it off, Kobe's narration sounds like he's half asleep.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:11 AM   #24
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I didn't say I thought the Jordan commercial sucked. I like that one a lot actually...I just like to make fun of the fact it shows a kid learning the poor trash-talking ways of MJ in one particular scene.
Your words were that you only liked the LeBron one and that all the others sucked.

The commercial is a tribute to Jordan and his signature moves with him looking on at the end. It's not about kids learning how to showboat. And besides, the play your talking about is hardly showboating at all. In that game against Portland everything was falling for MJ that even he couldn't believe it. So as he was running past the bench and the scorekeepers table he shrugged with a smile. I don't relate that to showboating one bit.
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 06:28 AM   #25
El Jefe
Philosopher of Sport

El Jefe is on a distinguished road

^^^well in any case, you've misunderstood my stance, as I was referring only to the Lebrons campaign as Da12ken suggested.

I relate that gesture to showboating when it's a 10-12 year-old kid doing it, not to mention Jordan was one of the biggest trash-talkers of his era, but really my opinion of it was more a humorous jab than anything else. Sorry you missed that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawndo
Oh yeah you can definitely tell how much work went into the KG spot, and it had interesting transitions, but fancy camerawork does not a good video make.
Not that it's a bad spot, just doesn't have any real center focus or lasting impact.
Yeah true...there's no single sequence that really sticks out. I liked the child-version of KG and the final scene with him on the basketball floor... but it does flash by a bit too quickly to spark any notions of grandeur.

Oh and believe me when I say this Shawndo, the Kobe commercial is WAY better than the script he passed on. I like the monologue and the tone, but it is missing some spark.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:52 PM   #26
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

WTF? Shawndo, did you switch your vote FOR A THIRD TIME?!?!? Where's the love for Jermaine?!?!? JERMAINE!!!!

Old 03-24-2006, 04:10 PM   #27
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

I like Allen Iverson's shoe commercial. It sums him up very well. He is a warrior with a good work ethic (although that was not always the case).

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 04:27 PM   #28
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by da12ken
WTF? Shawndo, did you switch your vote FOR A THIRD TIME?!?!? Where's the love for Jermaine?!?!? JERMAINE!!!!
:lol: Yessiree I sure did!
why? cuz I could
I have 'poll editing options'... that and I really don't have much love for Jermaine. I just liked the rejection and the glare in his spot a lot
but to be fair, if I'm presenting an award here, it would have to go to the Jordan spot with the LeBrons as a close runner up.