Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Basketball

Old 03-21-2006, 05:29 AM   #106
El Jefe
Philosopher of Sport

El Jefe is on a distinguished road

^^^yeah that was classless, and he should be out longer than he was for the action, but on the other hand a shot at a historic run for the school...eeeeeehhhhh getinthere!

I have a chance to be at the 'Zags/Bruins clash, but work will most likely interfere. I'll make out the trip Saturday for the regional final if Ben's boys put the clamps on that offensive-minded Bulldog attack and have a potential rematch with Memphis or by some miracle, face off against Cinderella Bradley.

From the beginning of the season, I was hopeful of a sweet 16 appearance and figured that it would be a successful season for UCLA to reach there. Since there's been some instant expectations with the road placed in front of them to Indy, along with Digger and Dookie V picking them to get there, it's now time to see if Ben Howland can take a team of his past the Sweet 16. A victory in a game of this magnitude would be a major accomplishment for this young team, and it will likely be up to Ryan Hollins to be a solid contributor, who has been displaying the most consistent stretch of good basketball play in his 4-year career, coupled with a respectable defensive effort by Bozeman and MBah A Moute on Morrison, for it to happen. Strong efforts by a freshmen trio of reserves and previously injured starter/reserve Lorenzo Mata could also be the difference if one member of the blistering Bruins backcourt has a sub-par performance.

They escaped against 'Bama in a game that shouldn't have been as close as it was if any of the guys could buy a free throw...but it was nice to see they weren't the only ones having is sues with late-game visits to the charity stripe.

I have a pretty decent shot at some Tourney Pool love, though I set myself up for a Bruins victory vs. pool winner final. I'm riding a UCLA/Florida/Duke/UConn final four and sit in the middle-to-low pack after predicting just below 60% for the first round with some upset flops (ohhh damnit SDSU and Winthrop) and poor "dark horse" Elite Eight selections (stupid MSU and Nevada). Luckily the 2nd round proved painful for my opponents and set up a nice handful of possible winning scenarios for me.

Last edited by El Jefe; 03-22-2006 at 03:54 AM.
El Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 04:46 PM   #107
AmberOSU
All-Star Player

AmberOSU is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Jefe
and poor "dark horse" Elite Eight selections (stupid MSU and Nevada).
That's too funny, I had the same exact "dark horse" Elite 8 choices. I was kicking myself afterward.
AmberOSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:41 PM   #108
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Bye bye Duke. LSU flat outworked Duke.

It looks like Memphis has it under control with a minute to go, up 17. Memphis is just rolling right now and will face their first test in the UCLA/Gonzaga winner. I think they'll get by. They are so deep. They remind me of UNLV from the early 90s. But, like, not that good, it's weird to describe, the best I could come up with is that they remind me of a parity era UNLV '90. They go deeper than anyone in this tournament and are very athletic and are going to create problems for anyone.

They really can just explode on you at anytime because of that depth and athleticism.

Back to Duke/LSU...

LSU played great defense on Duke and on offense, I don't know, kind of let their natural ability take the lead. Very disjointed at times offensively, but it all came down to the defense they could play on Duke, and specifically, JJ Reddick. LSU played a great game defensively.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 01:07 AM   #109
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Man, one team hitting a tying 3 and another racing down the court to hit a winning 3 in a matter of mere seconds will NEVER get old. Damn, what a finish.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:30 AM   #110
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Damn, what a comeback for UCLA. Gonzaga flat out blew that thing down the stretch with just some really really unintelligent offensive sets at the end. Were they in the huddle saying, "let's just give it to Morrison and let him take a shot when he is well guarded."

Great comeback win for UCLA. Memphis/UCLA should be good.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:18 AM   #111
El Jefe
Philosopher of Sport

Default Never stop believing!

^^^Man oh man am I glad I decided to make the trip up and attend the game! What an incredible turnaround...esp. after feeling so frustrated and disappointed for the first 37 minutes. Who knew 10 seconds were all the Bruin faithful would need to go ballistic in the Arena as Gonzaga's supporters were stunned with disbelief. The Zags really did choke badly, and it was nice to see the refs let the Bruins play their brand of D at the end to literally steal the victory away from Morrison :whine: :lol: and Co. after some real questionable calls, particularly not awarding Collison the continuation after he was fouled during a contested layup. At that point it felt like the zebras were going to take the game away from the Bruins, but Howland's boys found a way and never stopped believing in themselves. I'm proud of those kids.

Now revenge is on the mind of those youngsters as they face a tough Memphis squad. I like UCLA's chances in the rematch as their team chemistry is much stronger than it was the first meeting. It'll be sweet just to go back to the Oakland Arena and sit in the same seat I was in last night, which was definitely the greatest college basketball game I've ever seen in attendance.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:45 AM   #112
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

I couldn't believe them not giving Collison the continuation. I didn't have a rooting interest in the game, had Gonzaga in my brackets so I was somewhat pulling for them, but that was a moment where I definitely wanted to see UCLA pull it out. Just because there are two ways for a team to go in that spot. They could sulk about the non-call or use it as motivation. The way UCLA responded to that was great to watch.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:04 PM   #113
AmberOSU
All-Star Player

AmberOSU is on a distinguished road

:tearing up bracket:

I think this might be my worst year for March Madness ever. I didn't pay enough attention to college basketball to fill out a decent bracket.
AmberOSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 03:52 PM   #114
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Two amazing finishes last night.
Thank goodness CBS saw the sanity in letting us see the final four minutes of WVU-Texas.

I was disappointed that Paulino's basket fell at the buzzer, but not greatly so. I've worried much of the last two months that WVU wasn't really as good as some folks were saying early on. (I never recovered from the loss to Marshall, really.)

I screamed an obligatory "YEAH!" when Pittsnogle's offbalance three went down, standing, trying hard to keep my volume down (wife & child asleep upstairs), but I guess I wasn't so excited about being able to win to be extremely disappointed when the Texas basket fell. I fell with it, though, hollered "No" and let myself drop to the floor with a thud.

Of course it's disappointing, but there's been a little bit of smoke and mirrors with the Mountaineers all year. It's just nice to have been in the race at the end.

And then the Gonzaga-UCLA game. Holy shi'ite muslim holiday. That final minute was absolutely insane.
I couldn't help but see Morrison welling up with three or so seconds left and want to laugh, though. I'm an unfeeling sum*****, I guess.

Somehow I skipped filling a bracket, so I have no bracket remorse or agony.

I am surprised at how many people claim to be surprised by LSU knocking off Duke. I was glad, because had WVU survived Texas, I'd have preferred LSU, who we played before, to Duke.

I like LSU over Texas, though. I'm not sure why. Things are going in the right direction for the Tigers. The 'Horns should be feeling a little lucky after last night.
Memphis-UCLA tomorrow should be interesting. Memphis' first test of the tourney. Against UCLA who seems to like waiting 30 minutes before playing in games....

'Nova should knock off the Eagles tonight (I HATE BC, and was soooo pissed that Pacific didn't knock 'em off last week). UConn will probably win, but... I just can't shake the feeling that they remain vulnerable no matter who they play.
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 04:05 PM   #115
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountaineerDave

And then the Gonzaga-UCLA game. Holy shi'ite muslim holiday. That final minute was absolutely insane.
I couldn't help but see Morrison welling up with three or so seconds left and want to laugh, though. I'm an unfeeling sum*****, I guess.
That's funny - I had the same reaction when watching J.J. Reddick's eyes well up w/tears when Dook lost - I just started laughing!:lol:
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 04:13 PM   #116
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Well, my bracket is shot. I had Duke beating UNC in the finals. I'll just watch the rest of the tournament as a fan.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 04:30 PM   #117
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Count me in on those wanting to laugh at Morrison. Maybe he should learn how to find some separation from his defender if he wants to move on.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:33 PM   #118
El Jefe
Philosopher of Sport

^Once I noticed Morrison lying on the ground in agony, I pointed and laughed as us bruins fans celebrated the victory...so none of ya have to feel bad about wanting to laugh heheh. After watching the Sportscenter highlights though, I did feel bad for the guy. He has tremendous heart and grit, and that I can respect. I just can't respect his pansy, flailing body defense and *****y whining after every foul call.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:38 PM   #119
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

Villanova and UConn are my only two Final Four picks that are still alive.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 08:19 PM   #120
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

BC and Nova is going to be a great one I have that feeling. I am off to watch the game. GO BC.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote