Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Soccer

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 10:15 PM   #1
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road
Default FIFA World Cup round 2

New thread for the next round.

Germany v Sweden. I think the Germans will be in the quarter finals.

Argentina v Mexico. I don't think this will be close. Argentina to win

England v Ecuador. I just have a nasty feeling England will win this one and crash out in the quarters.

Portugal v Netherlands. The only game I have seen the Dutch play, was the draw against Argentina where both teams had already qualified. I'm picking Portugal.

Italy v Australia. Australia waltz home with Matilda.

Switzerland v Ukraine. Ukraine although I'm kinda neutral on this one.

Brazil vs Ghana. You cannot pick Ghana in this game, no matter how well they have played in the group games.

Spain v France. France to win and Spain crash out once again after promising so much.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:31 PM   #2
carter08
Mr. Tambourine Man

carter08 is on a distinguished road

MY PICKS TO ADVANCE:
Germany
Argentina
Ecuador
Portugal
Italy
Ukraine
Brazil
Spain
Old 06-24-2006, 09:27 AM   #3
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

I thought Argentina, England and Brazil would be in the Final Four with Argentina/Brazil as the final before the Cup thanks to BBC websites slick predictor thing, so I'll stick with them winning. Of course I had USA in the 3rd place game, so uh, yeah...

Germany over Sweden, Italy over the Socceroos, Swiss over Ukraine, I guess.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:03 AM   #4
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road

I posted my picks in the "round 1" thread, but just for posterity, here they are again.

Germany v Sweden - Current form says to go with the hosts, but I'm sticking with my upset pick of Sweden. They're certainly capable of knocking off an overconfident German team.

Argentina v Mexico - Argentines win by three.

England v Ecuador - Should be a good one. Who knows how England will look game-to-game? They're obviously more talented than Ecuador, but will they be present mentally? I say, yes. Barely.

Portugal v Netherlands - The Portuguese have an advantage at head coach, but the Dutch are more talented and have played better in this tournament while also facing stiffer competition than Portugal. Going with the Orange.

Italy v Australia - Guus Hiddink has taught the world several times over never to underestimate his teams. Italy will not take this game lightly, and for all their fight, the Aussies succumb to one of soccer's superpowers.

Switzerland v Ukraine - A surprise quarterfinalist, either way. The Swiss have looked good so far and are playing consistently well on the defensive side of the ball. Ukraine looked erratic and unfocused in the group stages. So why am I picking Ukraine to advance to the quarters?

Brazil vs Ghana - How can you pick against the champs in this game? You can't. The Africans play admirably, but still lose by two.

Spain v France - The traditional underachiever versus a fading power. I think if the Frogs stick with the Henry/Trezeguet pairing upfront with Ribery giving service, the Spanish (untested 'til this point) will be going home early yet again. Picking the French here is actually a bit of an upset. Strange.

I like Argentina, Italy, Netherlands, and Brazil in the semis.
Sports Again?!
Old 06-24-2006, 05:33 PM   #5
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Okay, so I'm late to picking, and I won't claim any picks on Germany/Sweden (woulda picked DE, and they won) or Argentina/Mexico (woulda picked Arg, and that game is still ongoing, with the Argentines leading in ET... AND I DON'T HAVE ESPN, DAMMIT!!)

Take the Orange over Portugal. But, I'm pulling for Portugal. Mostly because my wife & I honeymooned there.

Italy over Australia. I'll be sad. I hate the Italians.

Switzerland over Ukraine. Is Switzerland hiding something. They were the only team to go without conceding a goal in the group stage. Had something to do with their group, to be sure, but still...

Brazil over Ghana. Rooting for Ghana cuz I like the little guy sometimes.

Spain over France. The French are done. And Spain are playing well. It'll be a tough match, but Raul scores the winning goal while his former Madrid teammate, Zizou, moves on to his next role in life.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:47 PM   #6
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Another ugly win for the English who were the better of two average performing teams. You wouldn't know that England had a world class midfield after this performance. Lampard and Gerrard were poor and Beckham of course gets praise for the goal, but not a special performance, although I just read he was playing sick. Rooney looks good, but had no one in support. I've been critical of Cole, but he helped stop a great chance in the first half and played well today. I don't really mind who we play in the quarter finals, as either would be a tough game, which is what you expect when you're down to 8 teams.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:39 PM   #7
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Portugal/Hollan game is out of control. 16 yellows, 10 v. 9 and 12 minutes for the Dutch to bring this thing level.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:27 PM   #8
El Jefe
Philosopher of Sport

El Jefe is on a distinguished road

^what a disgusting match. That ref was a disgrace. I still don't know how Robben didn't earn a PK when he was spiked in the shoulder during the first half. The second half was just an absolute joke.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:10 PM   #9
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

I think the Ref lost control of the game. But you have to wonder what both teams were thinking, as some of the tackling and general dirty play was quite cynical and got worse as the game went on, even though they saw the earlier bookings. Portugal will now be without two players for the game against England and possibly Renaldo also who went off injured. Certainly helps Englands chances of progressing to the semi's.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:40 AM   #10
IntheNet
Hall of Famer

IntheNet is on a distinguished road

The Refs in this World Cup are sewer rats spoiling the tournament! Both the USA vs. Ghana game and now the Netherlands vs. Portugal game should be replayed as result is invalid because of moronic Refs. I understand the Ref for USA v. Ghana game was a Uraguayan and the Ref for the Netherlands v. Portugal game was a Ukrainian. Hex on both. FIFA should immedialy invalidate the results and both games should be replayed. That, however, will never happen... Bad Refs are simply evil...

That said... Spain is looking like the winner of World Cup...

btw... is it absultely necessary to see Beckam vomiting on the pitch? That was disgusting...
Old 06-26-2006, 12:38 PM   #11
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Graham
Portugal/Hollan game is out of control. 16 yellows, 10 v. 9 and 12 minutes for the Dutch to bring this thing level.
What a mess this match was. Pity that the Dutch are out. I had high hopes for them and I really thought they deserved to advance from this ugly contest.

Italy in a real dogfight with the Aussies, right now. We could very well be headed to penalties...
Sports Again?!
Old 06-26-2006, 12:39 PM   #12
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

The Holland-Portugal game was the most vulgar football match I've seen. It was fine that the ref felt he needed to dispense yellows and reds to try to regain control, but the teams were both playing incredibly unfair sport.
Figo's "I've lost my right eye" act that led to the one Dutch player's second yellow frustrated me to no end. On the other hand, the guy threw an elbow, and deserved his booking.

And why was Holland running in with the ball when Portugal ceded possession to tend to an injury? Deco had no choice but to play the man, receiving his first yellow, but what the hell? I recognize that playing the ball out for an injury and the ensuing return of possession by the other team is merely a play of sportsmanship, but did the Dutch throw out their sportsmanship? I couldn't understand that at all.

Of the matches I've seen, the players of this game seemed to truly dislike one another more than any match I've watched at this level. I was sure taht it would end in a riot.

On the other hand, after Gio (Ned) was dismissed, the scene of him sitting in the dugout next to Portuguese midfielder Deco discussing, more than likely, the poor officiating, was good to see. It helps, of course, that they're clubmates, and spend much more time working together than against one another.

England-Ecuador was the least interesting match of my limited viewing of this tournament. In that respect, I was glad that Holland-Portugal at least held my interesting, if it wasn't the shiniest example of the game, at least it was up and back...

Speaking of up and back, the Aussies more than holding their own with Italy, and have a man advantage through 86 minutes.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:00 PM   #13
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Say what you will about the officiating. The ref in Itaia-Australia (I'm watching Spanish TV bc I don't have cable) was fine. A few more play-ons than I expected given how the tourney has been officiated, but whatever.

But, if any Australian citizen is charged with that official's murder, I'd be willing to let them off on self-defense. The guy simply stole teh match with that penalty call. The Univision call was... "Una penalty por nada!" And they were right. Grosso stumbled over the Australian player...

Despite being down a man, the Italians seemed likely to eventually score the goal, but there was no knowing for sure. And as the last play of the match... whistle blew immediately after the penalty hit the back of the net... just awful.

Like I said: I liked this official, till that call. Horrible. Or, in the parlance of my commentators for the match, "¡Increible!¡Increible!"
May the Swiss (or Ukrainians, whichever, I'm not picky) beat the Italians handily.
(On Italy: they looked bad again. They could make the semis and totally not deserve being there. Meanwhile, if they ever complain about bad calls again, someone should shoot them. Literally. The only way I'd feel worse about this result is if they'd beaten the US or Spain in this way.)
Old 06-26-2006, 03:06 PM   #14
IntheNet
Hall of Famer

IntheNet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountaineerDave
But, if any Australian citizen is charged with that official's murder, I'd be willing to let them off on self-defense. The guy simply stole teh match with that penalty call. The Univision call was... "Una penalty por nada!" And they were right. Grosso stumbled over the Australian player...
Good post and I agree! Somewhere someone (or perhaps several someones) need to be fired for the poor officiating thus far in this Cup. It has become so bad that I expect a firstfight on the field and a mass riot in the stands because of the poor officiating... let's hope FIFA stops it before both of those happen...
Old 06-26-2006, 06:04 PM   #15
Hall of Famer

I haven't seen the footage, but the radio commentary from The Sun in England made the Neill/Grosso foul seem warranted. Suspicious, certainly, but apparently enough for a foul. Speaking as an Italia fan, hey, I'll take it. But this whole tournament has been marred by bad referreeing.

The ref in the Swiss/Ukraine game, actually, showed a lot of restraint in not brandishing cards left and right. Speaking of that game... gee, do you think the Swiss are going to start devoting some serious practice time to PKs or what? I saw the extra time and PKs and, man, the Swiss attempts were just poor.
Sports Again?!
Closed Thread