Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Hockey

View Poll Results: What is Eric Lindros' fate?
Play for the New York Rangers this season. 5 71.43%
Play for another team this season. 0 0%
He won't play anywhere in the NHL this season. 1 14.29%
Bobby Clarke will let Lindros sit another 3 years. 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-14-2001, 09:03 AM   #1
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road
Red face Another day, Another rumor

Well, word has it now that Eric Lindros will be on to the New York Rangers in a deal that has a few younger players headed back to Philadelphia, including promising Pavel Brendl.

....I find it so odd that Glen Sather (NYR GM) can produce an amazing and exciting young team that always contends come April with limited funds (e.g.: Edmonton Oilers), but when he has an almost bottomless budget (e.g.: New York Rangers), he just can't do it!!!.... mind you, it's only been, what? -- 1 or 2 years... but still.... I don't think a semi-healthy Eric Lindros will be enough to make the Rangers a Cup contender.... I mean, they've worn Mike Richter's tires too long, and Guy Hebert has only had 1 or 2 spectacular seasons.... the Rangers have no goalie, and if they do receive Eric Lindros, will it help them??

So this thread is about two things:
1. Do you think Eric Lindros will play for the Rangers in the 2001-2002 NHL season?
2. If he does, will it help the Rangers enough to contend for the playoffs, or for the Cup?
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 06:31 PM   #2
bostonsportsfan
Hall of Famer

bostonsportsfan is on a distinguished road
Default Looks like he'll be a Ranger by tomorrow...

Quote:
VOORHEES, N.J. -- A deal that would send Eric Lindros to the New York Rangers could be finalized Wednesday if Carl Lindros, Eric's agent and father, agrees to the trade, two sources close to the negotiations told The Associated Press on Tuesday.

The New York Daily News and The Record of Hackensack, N.J., reported that the Philadelphia Flyers conditionally agreed to trade the restricted free agent to the Rangers for forward Jan Hlavac, defenseman Kim Johnsson, young forward Pavel Brendl and a middle-round draft pick.

It seems like the Rangers are giving up an awful lot for a guy that could be out of hockey for good if he gets hit hard again.

And, in a way, this is actually good for us Bruins fans. There were rumors going around this weekend that the Rangers and Bruins were working on a deal for Jason Allison. If the Rangers get Lindros, they'll have no need for Allison, and hopefully the Bruins will finally be able to resign him.
bostonsportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 06:57 PM   #3
rezag
Grizzled Veteran

rezag is on a distinguished road

Yes he will play for the Rangers because they are only 1 of 2 teams that are willing to have him. We all know the second team.
The Rangers will struggle to make the playoffs without goalies of Roy's and Joseph's calibres
rezag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 07:15 PM   #4
dragons
Grizzled Veteran

dragons is on a distinguished road
Default lindros

Tht does sound like an awful lot. I wouldn't pay Hlavac for him. He's unreliable, not a good leader and is a prick.
dragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 09:08 PM   #5
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

If my team was in contention to win, betting on Lindros might be worth it, but the Rangers are compromising their future for the present, which is obviously not going to be a winning team.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 11:24 PM   #6
Lappy
Sports Enthusiast

Lappy is on a distinguished road
Default Big gamble by the rangers

I'm very surprised the rangers are gambling on Lindros when a younger,healthier Allison's out there.The rangers would be better off trading for a defenseman to take some of the pressure off Leetch and getting another goalie.Goal scoring was not their problem last yr,defense and goaltending were.
Lappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2001, 10:07 PM   #7
bostonsportsfan
Hall of Famer

It's all in the hands of Lindros' agent -- his father.

Both teams have agreed on the players, but the deal won't done until his father can work out a multiyear deal with the Rangers.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/news/2001/0815/1239983.html
Old 08-17-2001, 01:13 PM   #8
budman2
Grizzled Veteran

budman2 is on a distinguished road

I believe that eric is healthy, the concusion was one in the same, they were all related,eric was right and bobby and the boys played him wrong.
A healthy eric lindros can not be compared to allison , theres no comparison . while allison in his own right is a good hockey player he can not carry lindroses sticks, let alone compete against him as far as raw tallent is concerned .<
All i will say , i said before, look out , anybody who gets in his way when he does hit the ice, as he will be a very determined 235lb freight train.he has something to prove and will start that proof when he dons an n.h.l. jersey. i just wish it had been a leaf jersey.
Old 08-18-2001, 12:16 PM   #9
Lappy
Sports Enthusiast

Default Lindros' concussions

Lindros' first concussion was in 1998.Are you saying he's faked all six concussions or that they are all the same concussion? Your comment that 'the concussion was one in the same' makes no sense. I agree that Lindros is free of the side effects of his last concussion and able to pass his physicals,but doctors are saying that someone that's had so many in such a short time, may be pre-disposed to concussions and that the more concussions you have,means that it does not have to be a huge hit, to bring on another one.Lafontaine's last concussion came about because he was clipped by a teammate.Not leveled,just clipped.
Old 08-18-2001, 01:19 PM   #10
bostonsportsfan
Hall of Famer

Default Done deal

It will be announced Monday.

Eric Lindros goes to the New York Rangers for forward Jan Hlavac, defenseman Kim Johnsson, young forward Pavel Brendl and a middle-round draft pick.

Lindros has already agreed to a 4-year, $37M deal.
Old 08-18-2001, 01:22 PM   #11
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Lindros' concussions

Quote:
Originally posted by Lappy
Lafontaine's last concussion came about because he was clipped by a teammate.Not leveled,just clipped.
Sorry to change the subject..... but I remember that one time that Lafontaine was absolutely level, but I forget -- did he come back??... by what you said, it sounds like he did, but I forget exactly.... how long did he come back for????....

Anyway, the deal is apparantly complete.... the only thing from stopping it was NHL approval, but they will apparantley allow the deal, meaning that the rumored press conference for the Rangers on Monday, August 20 will announce the sign & trade deal of Eric Lindros, as well as possibly announcing the signing of free agent Brett Hull....... Mark Messier is also expected to be on hand to welcome the players to New York City.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2001, 04:39 PM   #12
Lappy
Sports Enthusiast

Default Lafontaine

Lafontaine's last concussion,the one that made him retire was because a ranger teammate ran into him during a game.Not 100% sure,but I think it was M. Keane. What a crummy way to go out.