Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Hockey

Old 08-10-2001, 07:49 PM   #31
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Ross in Big D
That would be 26 championships, Lee.
I know they have 26 championships.... but two years ago is when they took the lead in professional sports with 25 championships...

I knew they had 26 championships, but I was referring to the year they took over the lead.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2001, 11:41 PM   #32
Phillerup
Sports Enthusiast

Phillerup is on a distinguished road

Some interesting thoughts guys...I remember when the Jets left...It was a pretty sad day. We had a wing-nut of an owner who didn't even care if the Jets would stay here or go south. Winnipeg was kind of scrambling for money...at the time. We just couldn't support the contract demands of the players. I once heard that the Jets deal was somehow connected to Quebec going to Colorado. I don't remember where I heard it, but if someone knows more about this, I'd like to hear it. I was fortunate enough to attend the Jets' last game in Winnipeg. It was Game 6 of the 1996 playoffs, a game we had no chance of winning (against Detroit). I was glad they were able to pull off a stunning victory over the Wings in Detroit to be able to play one last time here in Winnipeg...I'll never forget that.
Phillerup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2001, 08:08 AM   #33
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by Phillerup
Some interesting thoughts guys...I remember when the Jets left...It was a pretty sad day. We had a wing-nut of an owner who didn't even care if the Jets would stay here or go south. Winnipeg was kind of scrambling for money...at the time. We just couldn't support the contract demands of the players. I once heard that the Jets deal was somehow connected to Quebec going to Colorado. I don't remember where I heard it, but if someone knows more about this, I'd like to hear it. I was fortunate enough to attend the Jets' last game in Winnipeg. It was Game 6 of the 1996 playoffs, a game we had no chance of winning (against Detroit). I was glad they were able to pull off a stunning victory over the Wings in Detroit to be able to play one last time here in Winnipeg...I'll never forget that.
Hmmmmmm... not sure AT ALL how this fits into the subject we are talking about, but that's OK!

I have NO CLUE what you mean that the "Jets deal was somehow connected to Quebec going to Colorado." .... I don't konw what you mean by that at all.

...anyway, you were there for the Jets' last game!?... As a hockey fan that is still a Jets fan, I think the Jets had a great opportunity to win that game... in Game #5 of that series.... wasn't that the game where Khabibulin made 51 saves on 52 shots!???... I think the Red Wings made the Conference Finals that season (1996), and they look back and I remember hearing someone on that team saying that "The Jets gave us the most trouble." It was not an easy series for the Wings by any means.

...since you were there, Phillerup, do you remember who scored the last Jet goal??... I remember watching it on TV... and I forget -- was it Numminen or Quint that scored the final Jet goal??

Anyway.... that "playoff run" was amazing that year..... not much of a run considering they only made it 6 games, but they clinched that playoff spot in front of the "WHITE NOISE" crowd... the Moose try that "WHITE NOISE" for their playoffs.... the Coyotes tried that as well in 1997 and 1998.... it just doesn't work in any place but Winnipeg for the Winnipeg Jets..... I still have the Jets' final regular season home game on tape (the one where they clinched the playoff spot; also the one where Tkachuk scored his 50th goal)... I attempted to tape Game #6 of their playoffs, but I accidentally recorded the wrong challenge and had a bunch of soaps instead :redhot:
Old 08-14-2001, 01:00 AM   #34
Phillerup
Sports Enthusiast

I thought I'd write something about the Jets since, in an earlier reply, Budman was talking about canadian teams leaving...

You're right by saying Game 5 was awesome, especially for Khabibulin who made 51 saves out of 52 shots...And we did give the Wings a run for their money, at least until they met up with Colorado.

As for who scored the last Jets goal, I believe it might have been Deron Quint. I remember it being a pass from Teppo Numminen, and a blast from the point, in the top right corner of the net. After that goal, if there was one building in Winnipeg going down, it was the Arena!

The WHITE NOISE never seemed to work for other teams...It's definitely The Peg's hockey trademark!

Who were they playing against on the final regular season home game? I remembered the 50 goals and the playoff spot...I just don't know who we were playing...
Old 08-14-2001, 08:54 AM   #35
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

LA Kings was their final regular season HOME game.... their final regular season game was played away and they played Anaheim in that one (first game Teemu Selanne played against his former team)..... they clinched the spot vs. LA, but they could've finished as high as 5th or 6th or something had they won again vs. Anaheim.... but they lost.

Ahhhhhhhh yes... I remember it well.... Curt Keilback did the play-by-play on BOTH games -- the Kings game was on TV, the Ducks game was on the radio.... he went to Phoenix with the Coyotes (probably about the only non-player left from Winnipeg left in the organization)... at least the Coyotes are strong in ONE department -- their broadcaster rules!!!
Old 08-14-2001, 11:08 PM   #36
Phillerup
Sports Enthusiast

You got that right! I'll never forget that guy...
Old 08-30-2001, 10:04 PM   #37
Lappy
Sports Enthusiast

Lappy is on a distinguished road
Default Yashin/Isles/insurance

Milbury Ironing Out Wrinkles in Yashin Deal

Alan Hahn

August 30, 2001

There were smiles all around Islander Country again yesterday. The team had signed center Michael Peca to a five-year deal and owner Charles Wang had retained chairmanship of his company, Computer Associates, in a shareholder proxy vote.

But the enthusiasm couldn't hide the concern regarding the last and, arguably, most crucial task for the busy summer: signing center Alexei Yashin.

The Islanders have offered Yashin a 10-year contract worth around $90 million and parties from both sides of the negotiating table said the finances for the deal have been agreed upon. However, there are details (bonuses, annual breakdown) that remain unresolved and tricky insurance issues that must be addressed before the contract is completed.

Once signed, it will be the longest and richest deal in NHL history. It is believed the team is preparing for an announcement by early next week. Although general manager Milbury has remained optimistic, he stressed the deal "is not done. It's a very complicated issue."

Yashin is in Ottawa working out on his own. His agent, Mark Gandler, did not return a call.

Milbury said if the long-term deal cannot be finished in time for camp, he will need to put together a short-term contract.

"It would be a personal failure and a failure for the Yashin group not to get this done," he said. "You know what happens when the first day of training camp comes. I don't want to go there."

Milbury was referring to Wang's precedent set last season, when he said any player not signed by the first day of camp would be locked out for the entire season. He threatened to do it to Zdeno Chara and Brad Isbister, but reconsidered after the other players on the team appealed to Wang in a team meeting. Wang allowed Chara and Isbister second chances, but said it would not happen again.

Yashin sat out the 1999-2000 season while demanding a new contract from the Ottawa Senators. He returned last season to fulfill the final year of the deal before the Senators traded him to the Islanders in June for Chara, Bill Muckalt and the second overall pick in the 2001 draft.

"The last thing we want," Milbury said, "is for this guy to become a problem."

Both sides want to get the long-term contract completed, but a major obstacle involves insurance. The NHL's insurance company insures contracts only up to five years. It is up to the team to insure the contract after that and premiums on the the back end of a $90-million agreement figure to be costly.
Lappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2001, 07:55 PM   #38
budman2
Grizzled Veteran

budman2 is on a distinguished road

ha,ha,ha,ha, this stuff should be posted on the comedy site, is there a comedy site? anyway all i can say , is in the words of the great, and powerfull wisard of hockey , i am speaking of don cherry of course, WHAAAAAT EVER!!!!!!
Old 09-01-2001, 12:31 PM   #39
Lappy
Sports Enthusiast

Default 34 yr old Cujo at $11 million a yr

budsman,that was my reaction to reading that 34 yr old Cujo, wants $11 million a yr on a multi yr deal.With Cujo,the Leafs are one of the top teams in the East.Without him...well let's not print up any playoff tixs in Toronto if they lose Cujo. Next yr's ufa market looks lean compared to this past summer's:Cujo,Holik,Amonte look like the best of the lot.
Old 09-06-2001, 07:31 PM   #40
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

It was made official yesterday -- Ya$hin signed the biggest deal in NHL history -- $87.5 million over 10 years.

Though it won't pay the most per season (starts at $6 million and ends up at $9 milllion or something like that after the 10th year), it is the biggest single contract in NHL history (most per season, I believe, is Jagr at around $11 million).
Old 09-07-2001, 01:08 PM   #41
Lappy
Sports Enthusiast

Default Yashin's deal

Yashin's contract starts at $6.4 million.It rises every yr until the middle yrs,where he makes the highest amount,then goes down again.The last yr pays him $6.4m.No out clauses,no notrade clauses.The team's paying the last 5 yrs of the insurance themselves,so the whole deal is covered by insurance.