Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 09-11-2004, 10:57 AM   #1
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road
Default Why I don't buy ESPN GamePlan

Pardon me while I brag a little bit about the college football I get on my cable system this weekend.

At noon:
ABC-UCLA @ Illinoi
FoxSports-Fresno St @ Kansas St
ESPN-UNLV @ Wisconsin
ESPN2-Arizona St @ Northwestern
FoxCollegeSports Central-Richmond @ VMI

At 1p:
FoxCollegeSportsAtlantic-Villanova @ Lehigh

At 3.30p:
ABC-North Carolina @ Virginia
NBC-Michigan @ Notre Dame
FoxCollegeSportsPacific-Wyoming @ Texas A&M

At 4p:
FoxCollegeSportsCentral-Southern Illinois @ Northern Illinois

At 5p:
FoxCollegeSportsAtlantic-Florida International @ Youngstown State

At 5.30p:
ESPN-Georgia @ South Carolina

At 7p:
TBS-Houston @ Oklahoma

At 8p:
ABC-Penn State @ Boston College
FoxCollegeSportsCentral-Southeastern Louisiana @ McNeese State

At 9p:
ESPN-Texas @ Arkansas
ESPN2-Mississippi @ Alabama

At 10p:
FoxCollegeSportsPacific-Utah @ Arizona

At 11.30p:
FoxCollegeSportsAtlantic-New Hampshire @ Rutgers (replay)

19 games. All for free. Well... all for what I pay normally.
Add to that the fact that NFL Network has a show called College Football Saturday at 10p and replaying all night beginning at 2a, I'm all set.

My gripes? I wish I were getting Southern Miss-Nebraska instead of UCLA-Illinois, but I'm guessing we'll get significant look-ins during UCLA-Ill, especially if someone starts to pull away. Also wish I were getting Marshall @ Ohio St instead of UNC-UVa, but I don't expect either to be competitive, so at least I'll get to take a good look at the Cavs, in whom I need to be made to believe before I buy their stock.

I'm actually pretty excited to see 78's Penguins in action this weekend. Last time I saw YSU, they were getting pummelled (okay, it was close) by Marshall in the Div I-AA Championship Game. Should be interesting. FIU is a provisional Div I-A program. Folks have thought for some time YSU should make the leap up in status. (The MAC has got to be banging their door down right now.)

Anyway, pardon my excitement. I wish I were going to be able to see it all, but, I plan to get in enough to make my family pretty sick of football...

Dave
Old 09-11-2004, 11:28 AM   #2
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Yep, I get all that, plus all the ABC games you griped about not getting, plus several more. It's called "having your cake and eating it too."

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 02:01 PM   #3
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Dave, i just wanted to let you know......

IM WATCHING USM-NEBRASKA! WHAT A GAME SO FAR!!!
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 04:50 PM   #4
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinBeane
Yep, I get all that, plus all the ABC games you griped about not getting, plus several more. It's called "having your cake and eating it too."
Ah, yes, but I don't have to pay to eat... Besides, if I had WVU-UCF, during that 3 hours, I wouldn't see much of anything else.

My listings actually happened to miss NESN broadcasting Iowa State @ Iowa. So, that's 20 games. I've looked in on all 7 or 8 that have been on to this point.

I like Southern Illinois. Well, let me restate that. I like them till they try to throw.
Also, after thinking Fresno was an easy Top 20 team, I think they're debuting in my Top 30 somewhere in the 8-12 range, depending on the rest of the day.
I'm already bored of UVa-UNC, which was expected. UNC looks like a I-AA program or Armed Forces Academy. Which is to say, they're hugely outclassed. It's embarrassing.

Dave
Old 09-11-2004, 04:58 PM   #5
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Yeah Dave, i quit watching it myself. I don't know what's worse. UNC's play, or the fact Dan Reeves is providing color for ABC.

Dave, did you see any of the Fresno State game? The Bulldogs looked impressive.

Last edited by Dublin Mike; 09-11-2004 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-11-2004, 05:15 PM   #6
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

I did. I really like what they've done the last two weeks. I'm not as on their bandwagon as Mark May (national title contender, he calls them), but I like them muchly.

That was Dan Reeves' voice that made me change the channel? I knew it was familiar, but...

Dave
Old 09-11-2004, 05:27 PM   #7
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Yeah, i came in right after kickoff, and i knew the voice sounded really familiar. Like fingernails scraping across a chalkboard familiar. Then it hit me.

DYK: He has his own radio talk show? I don't see how. The man is B-O-R-I-N-G!
Old 09-11-2004, 08:10 PM   #8
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

I think this is the first time YSU has hosted a I-A team not named Kent or Akron EVER Dave. Should be fun, but YSU is down since Tressel left. I expect Fla Int. to win big. The MAC talk has died down in the last few years with the Penguins missing the playoffs, but with Marshall and that Fla team leaving the conference, they could begin talks again. I don't think YSU has sufficient overall facilities to go up to I-A.

Speaking of who you get to do your game, last week for OSU I got John Cooper ( how he got back in the Shoe without getting killed, I don't know ) and this week for OSU I got Terry Bowden. God it was sickening hearing him bash OSU during the game for not putting Marshall away. My pulse never went up, business as usual for OSU as far as I was concerned, but when you get outsiders doing games, well.....
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 09:10 PM   #9
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

I switched back to ABC to see what was going on w/the game, and to my surprise found they had switched coverage to the OSU/Marshall game. And yeah, it definately seemed like Bowden was pulling against OSU. I thought he was a studio analyst. WTF happened to that?
Old 09-11-2004, 09:40 PM   #10
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

I could be wrong, but ABC inserted Generic Fella Guy That Played For a Major University in Bowden's spot.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 10:08 PM   #11
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Mike, I have no clue why he was doing the game. And yeah, pulling against OSU is an understatement if you watched the whole thing. It was beyond pulling for a close game so ratings could go up, it was actually embarassing. Anyway, everyone knows an OSU game is coming down to the last play, so I don't understand the need for any buildup.

Last week, when Cooper was doing the OSU-Cincy game, he was kind of critical of OSU too, but whatever.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:21 AM   #12
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Buckeye, Florida International is not a Division 1-A team, altought they may be headed there. I know Florida Atlantic is. They beat North Texas today, which makes me wonder, when was the last time a 1-AA team knocked off two 1-A teams in the same season (FAU beat Hawaii last week)? How about in back-to-back weeks? That might've never happened.

Speaking of Division I-AA over Division I-A, I see that Rutgers lost at home by 11 to New Hampshire. Makes me wonder, just how bad is Michigan State, exactly?

Finally, I haven't seen anyone (sorry if I simply missed it) post about the unbelievable ending to the Clemson GT game:

Clemson is up by 3 with less than a minute to go, but can't convert 2nd and 1, or third and 1 and prepares to punt it to GT with 23 seconds left and the Jackets have no timeouts. Bad snap, the punter falls on it deep in his own territory (I was thinking, "Why didn't he just boot it out of the end zone?") and GT scores a touchdown on the next play with 11 seconds left. Then Clemson runs back the ensuing kickoff inside the GT 40 with three seconds left, giving them one last shot, but the mini-hail mary goes incomplete.

Did you see it live, Dave it was on Gamepla...? Ohhhhh, that's right. I can't say it enough: There's no such thing as too many options when it comes to college football.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 02:30 AM   #13
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

LOL Kevin...

Shows how much I pay attention to Youngstown State football, not knowing Fla Int. division. Oh well, there's so many Florida teams going up to I-A nowadays, it's confusing my old mind. YSU lost 23-16 in OT, so if Dave did watch, he got his money's worth.

Didn't know about Rutgers losing like that, let's hide that from everyone so they can't make fun of the Big Ten....shhhhhhh.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:45 AM   #14
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

The Ga Tech/Clemson finish was amazing. After i saw Whitehurst make that 9 yard scramble, I looked at my wife and said "this ones over." Flip over to the Arkansas game for a few minutes, and instead of 1st and 10, w/Clemson kneeling, It's 4th and inches. Say what?!?! Bad snap by the long snapper, and Tech has the ball on the 7. Ball w/a pass to the endzone, ball game. What a finish. Now if Ga Tech and UGA can both go undefeated and meet at the seaon's end, all will be right w/the world. lol

Did you see the Ball interview after the game last night Kev? What a dick. Makes me glad Sean Jones and Thomas Davis beat him up last year.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:53 AM   #15
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Wait a sec Kev. I thought FIU and Fla Atlantic BOTH moved up to 1A this year, but you link has them BOTH still AA schools. What's going on there?