Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 10-09-2004, 12:34 AM   #1
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about
Default Colin Powell For President In 2008

In 2008, I will be able to vote for my first time.

I would love to see Colin Powell run. He is one of the only loyal and trust worthy politicians in this country. And remember, this is coming from a democrat.

Colin Powell should defiantly run in 2008. America loves this guy.

He is by far better of a leader than Bush or Kerry. Kerry's Purple Hearts wouldn't help him against Powell. Powell has more Purple Hearts, for being injured in combat, and has won many great awards for his time spent in command with military.

He is the only down to earth person in the Bush administration. He has made it pretty clear that he is against the war in Iraq, but will stay loyal and do the job as secretary of state.

He has also made it pretty clear that he will not be a part in Bush's administration next year. You can tell that he has been embarrassed and frustrated with the war in Iraq.

He will be 71 in 2008 and he seems to be very frustrated with the war. This makes me wonder whether or not he would run, considering that he has retired many times from the military and politics. I hope that if he retires this term, that he will come back and run for president.

He actually understands what the American people want. He would not be like Bush and do what it is best for him.

If Powell would run, he would win and make a great president. Far better than any president in the past.

This would also be great because it could help break the color barrier in America too. Whether you want to admit it or not, this country is still full of racists. I know from experience. I have a racist dad and a whole side of the family that is racist.

He could show America what a great man is really like.

I really believe that Colin Powell would be a great president and would make a perfect president that is not the typical rich white guy. He has shown this through his great leadership in the military, going all the way back to Vietnam.

Remember, Powell's parents were immigrants from another country. I can't recall what country that is at the moment.

Just wondering what you guys think of him?

I think that he would win if he ran and that he would make a great president.

Also, do you any of you know if he ever said that he would or wouldn't consider it?

Also, would he run Republican or Independent?
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 05:31 AM   #2
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Colin Powell For President In 2008

Quote:
Originally posted by Ellis

Colin Powell should defiantly run in 2008. America loves this guy.
LOL! I definitely agree! He would have to defy the odds to become the first African American president.
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 06:47 AM   #3
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

I think a greater burden to his once-upon-a-time presumed candidacy will be his actions taken while in this administration.

I know someone who believes that it's Powell or someone near him leaking all the damaging files and papers that get leaked, but that doesn't atone for all the lying and "doing as he was instructed" bullcrap that he's done while working for Mr President.

I moved, frightened out of my wits and scared completely to death for the life of my child, from the Iraq invasion fence firmly to the "we gotta invade Iraq" camp.

I hold him personally responsible, and I'm sure I'm not alone in having been swayed by his testimony before the UN in Jan/Feb '03 (whenever it was). He didn't have to do it, contrary to most opinions. He could have sat on his hands and told the Pres to fire him, and to let one of the warhawks do it.

While I want to like Powell, he's got some making up to me before I believe another word from him again. My vote he would not have in 2008... barring a complete 'fessing up to all the bad he's done while in this administration.

As for African Americans, I'm watching Illinois' junior senator-to-be, Barak Obama, who delivered an incredible speech at the Democratic Conventions. His voting record once he reaches the Senate will be something I monitor. 2008 will be too soon (esp., if Kerry/Edwards win), but I expect he'll be a major name in the 2012 race.

Dave
Old 10-09-2004, 09:47 AM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

And if Kerry/Edwards don't win this year I fully expect Hillary and Edwards to be the Democratic front runners in 2008.

If Bush loses this year Powell will have a tough road to hoe in 2008. One issue that Kerry has been hammering Bush on in these debates, which seems to be currying some favor with voters, is the way he has handled Iraq post invasion. It seems to have become a hot button issue in terms of foreign policy that Kerry is running with right now. The Secretary of State is always tied in to foreign policy issues. If voters are willing to see Bush's handling of Iraq as incompetent then the Democrats would be sure to run with that in the '08 election. The key message would be on of this man is not good for the country look at what he and Bush did to us in Iraq.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 09:47 PM   #5
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

I don't think Powell will run. As many as 8 years ago, I remember working for a national polling firm and even then, everyone LOOOOOVED Colin Powell. He must've know that, and yet he declined to run then, and I don't see how being 8 years older would do anything but firm that decision.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 10:21 PM   #6
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinBeane
I don't think Powell will run. As many as 8 years ago, I remember working for a national polling firm and even then, everyone LOOOOOVED Colin Powell. He must've know that, and yet he declined to run then, and I don't see how being 8 years older would do anything but firm that decision.
That sucks. He should run.

I just picked up "My American Jouney" by Colin Powell. I am really excited about starting it.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 10:26 PM   #7
Slinky
Gilbert Arenas

Slinky is on a distinguished road

Jeb Bush is going to run...everyone get out of his way.
Slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 10:52 PM   #8
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Powell has no home really, as Dave eluded too. Bush has united the Republican Party at a level not seen since Reagan, and Powell isn't exactly a well-liked Republican at this point.

He could run as a Democrat, but they wouldn't want him, they have people in their hopper already ( Hillary ). Add to the fact ( Dave, try not to yell at me, because I'm speaking the truth here ), that if Powell ran as a Republican, he would lose the HUGE Republican base that is needed to win down South because he is black.

( Takes a step back, hides from Dave ).
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 11:01 PM   #9
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Given how critical Powell has been of late of the Bush administration and he seems set on stepping down early next year he probably would not be able to garner the support of the Republican party. He would likely have to run as an Independent as I don't think he has the Democratic ideals at heart. I say team up with Jesse Ventura or Ross Perot and run on that ticket. :lol:
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 12:16 AM   #10
ESP0704
All-Star Player

ESP0704 is on a distinguished road

I'd feel a lot better about voting for Powell if he had stood up to the neocons and told them to kiss off when they got the idea to send Powell to the UN to defend the WMD "proof." They picked him only partly because he was secretary of state. The real motivation was that Powell had been a critic of war plans in Iraq, and, therefore, he would have more credibility than, say Cheney or Rumsfeld.
Of course he'd be dead to the Republicans if he had declined their order.
Buckeyefan is probably right, the Republicans won't nominate a black man to lead the ticket because the southern racists (as well as a lot of northern ones) might stay home on Election day. Putting him in as the veep in 2008 might not be out of the realm of possibility.
And, Dave, I'm as big a fan of Barack Obama as you are, but it's not likely he'll be the first black president. First, there's the curse of the keynote address. A quick look at some of those who have given the keynote address at the Democratic Convention -- Zell Miller, Jesse Jackson, Mario Cuomo -- and you get the idea that it's not exactly the road to higher aspirations.
Secondly, I think the first black president is going to have to be a conservative, or at least a Republican going up against someone who scares the racists so much that they vote for the Republican anyway.
I think middle America has a concept of minority (and the same goes for female, Mrs. Clinton) politicians that they have to be conservative just to be considered centrist. A liberal minority candidate is, I think, seen as being even more radical than he or she really is.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:35 PM   #11
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

ESP...

I think northern Republicans might be more inclined to vote for a black conservative, seeing that their " rightness" stems more from economic ( restraint ) and educational viewpoints while southern " rightness" stems more from moral and religious viewpoints ( blacks and women can't get the job done as well as white men ).

That's why I think if a black man were to win, he'd have to be a southern Democrat. That way, he'd get the the vote in the northeast ( on liberal ideals ) and rust belt ( pro union ) as well as out west with the progressives. Down south, he'd get what little Democratic base there is left, but would get the black vote down there, and the last time I checked, the South still has the largest black population in the nation ( the ACLU would have to come out in full force to make sure the good ol boys allow blacks to vote down there ). I don't know if it would be enough, considering the decline of the Democratic Party, so I'm not sure we are going to see it if the current trends continue.

A woman would have the same problem really. But that's why I think a Democratic white woman could do it ( Hillary ). She'd get the northeast ( liberal ideals ), rust belt ( pro union ), and progressives out west. Getting the vote down South would be kind of difficult. Yes, women do vote more than men, but the only connection to the ever-growing conservative South would be her hubby, Billy boy. Plus, we are talking about a region where, during the mid 70s, a whopping 11 of the 15 states didn't ratify the Equal Rights Amendment for women.

Things move slowly down South, as the saying goes, with blacks AND WOMEN.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 02:41 PM   #12
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

John McClain is my choice.
Old 10-13-2004, 02:58 PM   #13
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

John McClain?? You mean the guy from the Die Hard movies???
Old 10-13-2004, 03:35 PM   #14
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Tarkus
John McClain?? You mean the guy from the Die Hard movies???
I nominate this as best moment in a thread EVER!!!

I'm still laughing.

Dave
Old 10-13-2004, 03:56 PM   #15
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

Uh, have you guys seen Die Hard?

I'd vote for McClain (actually McClane) in a heartbeat. Seriously.

-RB
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote