Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 01-16-2005, 12:15 AM   #16
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

The Rams just suck. I think I have seen better defensive execution and tackling at high school games. I would be curious to know how many yards after contact the Falcons had tonight.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 01:40 AM   #17
MaddEnemy
Always next year

MaddEnemy is on a distinguished road

Did I catch Sports Center say Atlanta had 70 passing yards?

Atlanta
Net Yards Passing 70
Comp.-Att. 13-17
Yards Per Pass 3.9

This is why I have little faith in the Falcons. If it wasn't for Vicks speed he would be a so, so QB IMO. 70 yards will not win the Super Bowl.
MaddEnemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 02:19 AM   #18
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

he was 13 or 17...to me thats good.....and why the hell would you worry about a passing game when you rack up 327 rushing yards??? when your running game is working THAT good, why go away from it? if your running game is getting points up on the scoreboard, why go to your passing game and change it up?
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 02:20 AM   #19
dirtywhiteboy
Mr. Cub

dirtywhiteboy is on a distinguished road

The Falcons defensive line played very well. I didn't see much of them during the season, so I can only assume that they played out of their mind tonight. I'm sure they are a good line, but I can't see any line doing what they did tonight on a regular basis.
And again, not taking anything away from Atlanta, but the Rams looked like they were never in the game. Their O-Line, particularly Orlando Pace, was just terrible. I'm suprised that Bulger will be alive to play next year. That guy sure took a beating. And how about special teams? How many great returns before the Rams don't kick to Rossum?
Two knocks on the Falcons. They'd better throw the ball better in the upcoming round(s) if they hope to advance. And number 2, why was Mike Vick in the game with 6 minutes left, and Atlanta up by 23? Mora had better rethink this kind of decision, or they will live to regret it. Mike Vike is the difference between the playoffs, and a high draft pick for the Falcons. I'm not a huge Vick fan, but I would have felt really bad for the guy if he got hit and blew out his knee at the end of the game there. The Falcons even CALLED running plays for their franchis and very injury prone QB at the end of a blow-out. Not smart in my book, as running the ball is both Vick's best attribute, and his best chance at ending up on crutches.

Last edited by dirtywhiteboy; 01-16-2005 at 02:22 AM.
dirtywhiteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 02:53 AM   #20
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

If the Steelers were gonna have a bad game this playoffs, this better have been the one. Their luck won't hold out like this again. Dodging a bullet is one thing but dodging multiple isn't happening again.

The Rams must have missed the team bus today. The team they fielded looked like the JV squad. It's hard to gauge how well the Falcons are capable of playing when the Rams were getting pounded on both sides of the ball & were non-existent on special teams.
Old 01-16-2005, 03:48 AM   #21
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by MaddEnemy
Did I catch Sports Center say Atlanta had 70 passing yards?

Atlanta
Net Yards Passing 70
Comp.-Att. 13-17
Yards Per Pass 3.9

This is why I have little faith in the Falcons. If it wasn't for Vicks speed he would be a so, so QB IMO. 70 yards will not win the Super Bowl.

Hope the Eagles learned something from watching the Falcons. Donovan McNabb has stated that he doesn't want to be "stereotyped" as a running quarterback - but would he rather be stereotyped as a choking quarterback instead?

If Andy Reid has any brains whatsoever, he'll can the West Coast Offense and let Donovan take over the game all by himself - both today and next week anyway; if they get to the Super Bowl and T.O. does come back that will be a different story, but this is clearly the way to go until then.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 12:20 PM   #22
MaddEnemy
Always next year

MaddEnemy is on a distinguished road

It's not funny but is funny

Injured official leaves Jets-Steelers game

NFL.com wire reports

PITTSBURGH (Jan. 15, 2005) -- Head linesman John McGrath pulled a hamstring while trying to keep up with Jets punt returner Santana Moss' 75-yard touchdown and had to leave the AFC divisional playoff game in Pittsburgh.

As Moss was running undefended down the Jets' sideline, McGrath grabbed at his hamstring and went down without colliding with any player. He was taken to a locker room for observation and treatment.

McGrath was replaced by John Schelyer, a backup official assigned to the game.

The play occurred with three minutes left in the second quarter.
MaddEnemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 02:48 PM   #23
jhuerbin88
Sports guy

jhuerbin88 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I saw that official go down MaddEnemy. I wasn't sure what happened. I though he tripped over a player or a player.

I wonder how many times a backup official had to come in after one went down. It is kinda funny.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:26 PM   #24
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Wow, what a performance by the Eagles D today. Jeremiah Trotter played out of his mind good today. That has to rank right up there as one of the best games of his career. It seemed like he was in the backfield almost every play. I thought the secondary held up fairly well given how much the Vikes threw the ball. They held Culpepper to 24 of 46 and had him absolutely confused at times.

Brilliant game planning on both sides of the ball. Philly could have easily dropped 37 points on the Vikes if not for a couple of mistakes inside the 10. The offense looked crisp they seemed to be able to move the ball at will at times. I was impressed at how the recievers really stepped it up today. Lewis and Pinkston drew two big Pass Interference calls. Lewis, Pinkston, and Mitchell made some really good plays today.

I think the biggest thing T. O. has given Donovan this year is confidence in his abilities as a QB. One could see the confidence and command with which he threw the ball and played the game today. Everyone was wondering what Reid would do with the offense without T. O., but this was the same offense that we have seen all year from Philly with a few wrinkles thrown in to get Westbrook the ball in space to let him make some plays. They still took shots down the field to Lewis and Pinkston.

With the defense flying to the ball and Donovan playing with the confidence he had today I really like their chances next week against the Falcons. They will be able to do on defense what the Rams could not. Given the mediocrity of the Falcons recievers I expect the Eagles to play eight in the box and dare Vick to beat them with his arm. The Falcons are going to have to figure out what do with Trotter plugging the running lanes and Kearse and Dawkins coming off the corner.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote