Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

View Poll Results: Who would you rather have and why?
T.O. 12 57.14%
R. Moss 9 42.86%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-10-2005, 11:05 PM   #16
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Orange: I think Chad Johnson is just as wildly ill-behaved as these two guys. He doesn't get the same press because he's only now just coming into his own.

Harrison and Holt are a good deal more mature than Moss, TO and CJ. But, they're like anyone else, too. Harrison pouts when he doesn't get the ball (not like TO, but he still pouts). CJ sometimes seems like he invented "not getting the ball" whininess.

Dave
Old 01-10-2005, 11:15 PM   #17
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

FSUViking is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by MaddEnemy
Definitely difference of opinions around here…… I thought that R. Lewis dance was funny.
I thought pretending to moon the Packer fans was funny.
FSU: #3 recruiting class in the nation.
FSUViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 11:17 PM   #18
MaddEnemy
Always next year

MaddEnemy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by FSUViking
Yep, as I said in another post/topic, "As far as that goes, yeah whocares. It was stupid to do but in a way funny".
MaddEnemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 11:29 PM   #19
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough

Right now I guess I lean towards T.O., but I find him so personally repellent that I'm inclined to say Randy. If we're just talking about a top choice, I might go with Marvin Harrison or Big Game Holt, but I think that would be distorting the original intent of the question...

If Moss could keep his head on straight, there would be no question. When Moss is at the top of his game, no one else comes close. No one else comes close. But it doesn't seem likely that Moss will ever show that kind of dedication to his team and the game. He's still a great receiver, but he's a headache, for sure.

I voted for Owens, but I'm not happy about it.

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave
I think Chad Johnson is just as wildly ill-behaved as these two guys. He doesn't get the same press because he's only now just coming into his own.
No way. Johnson's stuff is mild and funny. Holding up a homemade sign that reads, "Dear NFL, Please Don't Fine Me Again" is not in the same league as T.O. or Moss. It's harmless stuff, and his teammates love it. Johnson's antics are the equivalent of the Ickey Shuffle. "Wildly ill-behaved?"
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 11:48 PM   #20
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by FSUViking
i thought both of them were funny lol...i dont see why the media is making such a big deal about it...
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 11:57 PM   #21
MaddEnemy
Always next year

MaddEnemy is on a distinguished road

I think it is more of a character issue and that is why I pick T.O., Moss is a better player "when he wants to play". I still will take T.O. even if he a few notches below Moss, he still is one of the best and will win games for you and I wont have to worry about if T.O. is running down a meter maid, smoking that dope, he may smoke it but I haven't heard about it and if he will give me a 100% every play because I know he will.
MaddEnemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 04:10 AM   #22
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

What's going to happen next year when Jerry Porter or maybe T.J. Houshmandzadeh is stealing a significant portion of T.O.'s thunder so to speak?

But back to the matter at hand: I didn't know that Packer fans would moon - for real - the other team's bus as it drove into the Lambeau Field parking lot; that fact does put Moss' actions into perspective.

The stuffed shirts on Park Avenue need to lighten up - big time.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 06:58 AM   #23
dirtywhiteboy
Mr. Cub

dirtywhiteboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Graham

And I saw Randy Moss walking off the field as a leadership move.
:no way: :no way: :no way: :no way: :no way:
I tried to say that phrase without laughing, and couldn't pull it off.
I really doubt that Moss is itelligent enough to use the reverse psychology needed to make that statement correct. Too much hopps, malted-barley, and bong residue in that head for any such critical thinking.
TO is also the guy that said he wouldn't play for the Ravens. He's almost as big of an idiot as Moss. Here's a guy that couldn't get along with the effeminate Jeff Garcia.
If I was offered Moss or TO, I would take either...then trade him to the unlucky fool that thinks he needs that kind of headache...

Last edited by dirtywhiteboy; 01-11-2005 at 07:05 AM.
dirtywhiteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 10:53 AM   #24
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

What I would like to ask everyone who is running down T.O. is this: What has he ever done? Not a single violation of the substance-abuse policy - either for so-called "recreational drugs" or steroids, or even banned supplements for that matter. Not a single run-in with the law - not even the proverbial ticket for jay-walking. No wife- or girlfriend-beating, no nothing.

So he stomped on the star, grabbed a pom-pom from a cheerleader, whipped out a Sharpie and wore that armband with "The Answer" on it. And for this he should be profiled on America's Most Wanted?

I'm sorry - I just don't get it.

Last edited by Anthony; 01-11-2005 at 10:55 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 01:56 PM   #25
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Heathen is on a distinguished road

Either of them... both of them.... hell ANYONE WHO CAN CATCH THE DAMNED BALL!!!!

/end rant

mumble mumble bloody seahawks mumble mumble

tumblr | twitter
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 03:19 PM   #26
dirtywhiteboy
Mr. Cub

TO's about "me", and that's all, IMO. I think he's a good receiver, but there were lots of reports out of the Bay Area that TO is a locker room cancer. Yes, the Niners were going to have to pay the guy more than he is worth to stay, but if you believe that's why he was let go, then you're kidding yourself. Cap problems or not...if the Niners wanted to keep Owens, he would have been paid whatever he demanded. Owens often ranted to the media about not getting enough touches. He ranted to anyone that would listen, about how bad Jeff Garcia is/was/or whatever. Those issues should have been kept in-house.
As I said, my issue with owens are more personality related than anything he's ever done on the field. And many GMs will tell you that they'll trade some stats for a good team guy. I'm just not convinced that TO is either of those, IMO.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:06 PM   #27
Cowboy22
All-Star Player

Cowboy22 is on a distinguished road

As a General Manager who needs to win, I would be inclined to go with Terrell Owens at this point. TO is a big, physical receiver who knows how to get the ball and knows how to score. He's a helluva lot tougher than Moss too, taking big hits across the middle to get the ball sometimes. He just shakes it off, gets back up, and runs another play. Because TO is as physical as he is, he can take a 5-yard completion into a 35 yard completion. Moss is just as talented, but his main strength comes to a vertical passing game. Moss takes 55 yard completions and makes them 75 yard completions. Its a tough choice, but I have to go with TO because I'd rather have toughness over finesse.

As a general manager who cares more about chemistry (ex: Patriots, Panthers), I would rather have Darius Watts, Jason McAddley, or Kevin Kasper ahead of either one of those two. TO and Randy Moss are superstars. They get their money, and complain about it. Moss plays when he wants to. Owens plays when he wants to. For these two receivers to have so much talent that I could only dream about, they are wasting a lot of it. Forget the on-field antics. Moss, TO, Chad Johnson, Warren Sapp, Ray Lewis, Joe Horn....everyone does it. Forget the off-field antics. Everyone complains about that too. The fact that these two receivers play only when they want to makes them as unattractive as guacamole jello.
Home of Emmitt Smith---All-Time Rushing Leader (17,162 Yards)
Cowboy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 06:17 PM   #28
dirtywhiteboy
Mr. Cub

Quote:
Originally posted by Cowboy22
guacamole jello.

Ewe.

Sorry pal, I can't forget the antics....be them on or off the field. Nor would I want my kid looking up to either guy. Moss is a drug-smoking ass that looks like Buckwheat. He's in and out of court for dope, parking lot brawls, and God only knows what else. Owens is a self-worshipping fool that thinks that the world is just a giant mirror. You can have them both.
As I said (and agree with you), they are both quality players. Too bad they aren't quality men, too. These guys, and the hotrods that you mentioned as well, are an embarassment to the game. But what do they care? They don't. Gimmie a check, a commercial, a shoe deal, a guest spot on Mtv or "Best Damn Sports Show", a new Hummer, and a big house...and I'LL PLAY WHEN I THINK THE SITUATION WARRANTS IT. Blah, blah, blah.
Give me Jerry Rice. Give me Marvin Harrison. Give me Hines Ward. Then I'm happy.
If it weren't for God given talent, TO & Moss would be the tallest "Fry Men" in the fast food industry...

Last edited by Marc; 01-11-2005 at 11:47 PM.
dirtywhiteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 06:30 PM   #29
El Jefe
Philosopher of Sport

El Jefe is on a distinguished road

T.O. a locker room cancer? Tell that to the Philadelphia Eagles.

Now I'll admit some bias as a 49er fan, but lemme just ask this. Didn't T.O.'s comments about Garcia's lack of ability sort of become truth this past season? When he was popping off about that, and I agree that it wasn't exactly the best move to do it publicly, I have to say that I agreed with his comments about Garcia's skills. It seems to me the rest of the country was fooled by Garcia's gaudy stats. It didn't fool 49er fans, as we could see his flaws and inablility to throw a bomb farther than 35-40 yards.

T.O. was a solid locker room presence in San Fran. He only turned sour once the organization showed they would not back him up. I can't blame him for that. And let's get this straight. T.O. never asked for the publicity...it came to him. And now he relishes it and uses it for his own pleasure. Thank the media for creating a monster out of a player who DOES give 100% on the field every game, every time. Anyone who disputes that doesn't know what T.O. is about....plain and simple.

When I think of Owens, I think back to that '98 Wild Card game against the Pack. That was arguably his worst game ever, marred by three glaring drops, including one on 3rd down that would've sealed the win. Did he give up? Did he pout? No...he just went back out there and made one of the greatest catches I'll ever see. And did you see him after that catch? The man ran over to his coach, bear-hugged him, and started raining some tears of joy. It's as if people have forgotten how much this guy puts into the game. Sure, his love may be with basketball, but the man works in football, and there's no questioning how much heart he pours into his work.

As for Randy...well I won't argue that in terms of pure talent, he is above everyone else. Whether you can deal with his quirky behavior or not is another issue. Frankly, I think T.O. dishes fewer headaches out and I prefer his style of play more...but there is no better pure receiver than Randy Moss in the game today.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:03 PM   #30
G-MenNMetsfan
All-Star Player

G-MenNMetsfan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by doublee
Moss is not a team leader. Team leader's don't walk off the field before the game is over and don't engage in trading F-bombs with fans during the middle of games. At this point I think TO is a bit more dedicated to the game, to his conditioning, and to winning a ring.
Unless he plays for a losing, like he did with the 49ers.

I'd take Moss. He's a better all around receiver than Owens. Let's put it this way, if either one of those guys played for Bill Parcells, they would either be on the bench or not as much of an egomaniac.
G-MenNMetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote