Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 01-30-2005, 04:36 PM   #1
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough
Default If You Had to Produce A TV Show for NBC

Let's say you work for NBC and you must create a show to compete against CSI on Thursday night. What kind of show would you come up with:

I would come up with a show like the Twilight Zone. I know writers of today have great imaginations that the older writers had back in that day. People love mysteries and thrillers and like being scared.

If I had a second choice I would produce a show with a title like "What If"
The idea would be to produce a one hour show that featured scenarios like what would have happened if Hiltler had conquered Europe? Or what if the British had defeated George Washington? What would our country be like today? How would our country have turned out if President Kennedy had not been killed. Would we have won in Vietnam. Would Civil Rights turned out better under Kennedy.

Anyone else have any weird ideas that would sell?
Old 01-30-2005, 04:46 PM   #2
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

I'd just steal another show from Britain, like all the other channels seem to be doing right now.

Wife Swap
Trading Spouces
Nanny 911
Super Nanny
Survivor(Created by Brits)
Who wants to be a Millionaire
Weakest Link
Trading Spaces and What not to Wear(TLC)
American Idol(Originally called Pop Idol in the UK and has the same production team + Simon Cowell)

Throw in Brit, Mark Burnetts(Survivor producer/creator) The Apprentice and his new Boxing show with Stallone and you've pretty much covered a prime time line up Or you could go Dutch, because they created Big Brother.
Old 01-30-2005, 04:57 PM   #3
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Default Re: If You Had to Produce A TV Show for NBC

Quote:
Originally posted by bama4256

Or what if the British had defeated George Washington? What would our country be like today?
You'd be a nation of Tea drinkers and Fish & Chip eaters, with a dry sense of a humor and a fine detail for sarcasm.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:10 PM   #4
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

Great idea, Bama.. I'd vote for that show. I always thought they needed to resurrect the Twilight Zone and adapt it to our times. Get people thinking differently and using their imagination more instead of the reality shows ad nauseum that currently keep me away from my tv.
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 06:51 PM   #5
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

But they did resurrect the Twilight Zone hosted by Forrest Whitaker. It lasted 1 season...

http://www.entertainyourbrain.com/twilightzonerev.htm
Old 01-30-2005, 06:53 PM   #6
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

I'd resurrect the Twilight Zone and not have it be hosted by Forrest freaking Whitaker.

-RB
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 07:01 PM   #7
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

If I had to fill a block of time up against TV? Hmmm, maybe I'd put an hour of programming that just had a scrolling text that said "hey, if you're watching this text, you're probably more intelligent than the average CSI viewer."

Other than that...I'd just put on a gritty, realistic cop drama instead of that over the top CSI crap. Something like Homicide, The Wire or The Shield.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 09:17 PM   #8
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

A show involving crop circles and alien abduction, but in a creepy/horror way, not a science fiction show.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:23 AM   #9
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Probably a wife swap kinda thing except I'd have a housewife change positions with a local stripper. An interesting clash of cultures....
Old 01-31-2005, 02:03 AM   #10
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Re: If You Had to Produce A TV Show for NBC

Quote:
Originally posted by Pimpbot
You'd be a nation of Tea drinkers and Fish & Chip eaters, with a dry sense of a humor and a fine detail for sarcasm.
Instead, we're a nation with 32 oz. Big Gulp cups, Hummers and gigantic pickup trucks (ugh), and supersized fries. Oh, god bless America...

I've never visited Europe or Britain, but I have a sinking feeling I might like it. I cannot stand people and their towering trucks and SUVs, I absolutely abhor them and a lot of the junk that goes on here. I've been watching this British/BBC-based show called "Fifth Gear" on the Speed Channel and I rather like the European culture. I'll have to visit to find out for sure.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 03:59 PM   #11
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

I would have a show featuring Britney Spears naked.

Who wouldn't tune into that?

Last edited by Ellis; 01-31-2005 at 05:13 PM.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 04:11 PM   #12
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Re: Re: If You Had to Produce A TV Show for NBC

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc
Instead, we're a nation with 32 oz. Big Gulp cups, Hummers and gigantic pickup trucks (ugh), and supersized fries. Oh, god bless America...

I've never visited Europe or Britain, but I have a sinking feeling I might like it. I cannot stand people and their towering trucks and SUVs, I absolutely abhor them and a lot of the junk that goes on here. I've been watching this British/BBC-based show called "Fifth Gear" on the Speed Channel and I rather like the European culture. I'll have to visit to find out for sure.
Just wait and see how you feel if/when you VISIT Europe. Your feelings will be enforced ahundredfold.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 05:16 PM   #13
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Tarkus
But they did resurrect the Twilight Zone hosted by Forrest Whitaker. It lasted 1 season...
Let's see, double checking my list of things that keep me away from my tv.... ok there we go, #1 is reality shows... and yes! I knew he was on there.. #32: anything involving Forrest Whitaker..
Who would make a good Twilight Zone host? hmmmmm.... how about David Duchovny? What the heck is he doing anyway these days?

Last edited by Marc; 02-02-2005 at 12:50 AM.
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 06:59 PM   #14
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Quote:
Originally posted by Ellis
I would have a show featuring Britney Spears naked.

Who wouldn't tune into that?
That spotty pig would spark my interest for maybe a second or two, but anything over a minute would be pushing it.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:03 PM   #15
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Default Re: Re: Re: If You Had to Produce A TV Show for NBC

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc
I've been watching this British/BBC-based show called "Fifth Gear" on the Speed Channel and I rather like the European culture. I'll have to visit to find out for sure.
I think 5th gear is a channel 5 production and not the Beeb?. The BBC did have a show that ran for years called "Top Gear", which is where 80% of the presenters came from for "5th Gear" when the BBC cancelled it. Always enjoyed watching Tiff Needel thrash a few cars around a test track. No one can opposite lock a car around a corner like Tiff.