Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

View Poll Results: Is Kobe shooting too much?
yeah, he needs to let the other guys step up 8 57.14%
well, if the Lakers want to win, that's just what has to be! 6 42.86%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-03-2005, 11:33 PM   #1
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Is Kobe shooting too much?

Go ahead and vote if you have 2 seconds..

On one hand, I am an admitted die-hard Kobe Bryant fan, and I would argue that he is doing what it takes to win ball games...

But on the other hand, one could definitely make a case that he is shooting far too many shots per game, and I would agree with that as well.

It's a tough situation, when the rest of your crew is hesitant or inconsistent in scoring, and Kobe has to 'fill in the blanks' AND be the late game hero if it's close.

Personally, as the most die-hard of Kobe fans, I would say the Lakers need to go with less shooting from Kobe and more shooting from:

Chris Mihm
Smush Parker
Lamar Odom
and Brian Cook/Luke Walton

Regardless of whether it ends up in less wins right up front... that's the whole problem. These guys aren't getting fully involved and then it becomes do or die, and they look to Kobe to bail them out.

I say go ahead and drop some games while letting these other guys really step up. Kobe- go ahead and throw it to Chris, Smush, or Lamar when the game is on the line and let them grab some spotlight. This team is a playoff team if Kobe can let some of the other guys finish big, even if it means a loss.
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 11:42 PM   #2
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Let 'em shoot if can draw those BS fouls like at the end of the Jazz game!!!
I thought that was a horrid call, but hey that's Pro Sports. He hit 2 clutch FT's to send it to OT and they won... so I say let him shoot.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:49 PM   #3
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Yeah that call against the Jazz was horrid, I agree. Can't pin that one on Kobe though, that was just a dumbass referee. Jazz should have won that game, but I'm glad they didn't because a) the Lakers are my team and b) the Lakers are a better team than the Jazz without question (and without Boozer in the lineup).
Old 12-04-2005, 01:56 AM   #4
Titans100
Vince Young ROY

Titans100 is on a distinguished road

The Kobe situation is weird. The more he shoots, the worse he does. The less he shoots, the worse he does. If he is right in the middle then the Lakers are fine. No team in the NBA will win games when one person on the team averages over 65% of the teams total shots.

However, the Lakers don't have the talent to rely on anyone else. When Kobe had Shaq, they both didn't have to be "on" in order to be successful. Kobe and the Lakers have no one else to fall back onto. Smush Parker is a decent wingman but that is all he will ever be. The Lakers need to get a solid #2 player and not have a bunch of solid #4 and #5 players.
Titans100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 02:06 AM   #5
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

When he was on fire at the start of this season, it was all right for Kobe to jack it up. Now he's shooting 30+ times a game, but the shots aren't falling. I read somewhere that in one game Kobe was 0-10 from outside 15 feet. That's unacceptable.

Even though the Lakers lost that game yesterday, that was probably the best offensive game for the Lakers this season (even Phil said as much).
Look at the box score:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=251202013

That's awesome distribution. In an ideal situation, their games would mimic the box score, except Kobe should probably shoot closer to 30 shots than 16.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 01:21 PM   #6
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

It is a tricky situation. If he doesn't shoot, these other chumps have to take them, and they aren't going to win that way. When he shoots so much, it's like a gamble because if he gets hot and shoots that much, he could explode for 50 and lead them to victory. As Titans100 said, it needs to be somewhere in the middle. He has to have others shoulder the load or he's going to fall apart by the All-Star Break.

P.S. Shawn, your e-mail isn't working! Messages are bouncing back to me.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 07:33 PM   #7
Clipps
The Clipper Fan

Clipps is on a distinguished road

Kobe needs to get Lamar Odom involved. In Miami, Lamar was a really nice player while playing with Wade. Now, Lamar looks like the way he did with the Clippers(his last 2 seasons)

Lakers just need to clean house all together. Trade Kobe and Lamar just to get rid of their contracts and build the team around a talented big man or PG.
*****pass me the bottle and fill the glass up
Clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 09:20 PM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

My knee jerk reaction is to say yes, he is definitely shooting too much, but the teams success in relation to how many shots he takes does not seem bear that out. The Lakers are 3-4 when he takes 30 or more shots a game and only 3-5 when he takes less than 30 shots. It doesn't seem to matter if he shoots well or not either. They are 2-4 when he shoots 50% or better and are 4-5 when he hits under 50%. The common thread for the Lakers is that of all the teams they have beaten this year none currently have a winning record.

So, obviously the issue is that Kobe is good enough to beat the lesser teams in the league but when the Lakers go up against teams that have two or three legit scoring threats they don't have the talent or firepower to win those games. So, the ultimate question would be: Is Kobe's dominance of the ball on offense prohibiting his teammates from growing as players? Or, are his teammates not asserting themselves to put them into position to make plays where Kobe would not need to dominate the ball so much?
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 11:37 PM   #9
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Interestingly enough the Lakers finally notch a quality road win against Milwaukee where Kobe goes 14-24 and Parker and Odom combine for 44 points on 16-31 shooting.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:42 AM   #10
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Clipps-

it is not Kobe's obligation to get Lamar involved. It's up to Lamar. Jackson has noticed his hesitation. He needs to just do it. go for it. I have to wonder if he's around bad influences again in LA like when he was with the Clippers.
Also - trading Kobe would be a disaster for selling tickets at Staples; not going to happen anytime soon. Kobe is one of the most electrifying athletes in the league and one of the few that are always interesting to watch.

Doublee-

I think his teammates are kind of ramping up in the triangle offense; as they get more and more used to it- we'll see a lot of improvement. It's a bit of a steep learning curve, from what I gather.. and will be asserting themselves more soon as they feel more comfortable in the weirdness that is the triangle.
Also- I didn't get to watch that Milwaukee game... I wonder if Bryant got a 'special' dunk on Bogut... (recalling comments Bogut made about him)
Old 12-10-2005, 08:55 PM   #11
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Interesting to note that in their current four game winning streak the closest game was the one where Kobe took 30 shots. In the other three games he has taken 24 or fewer shots and the Lakers have won by double digits.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:01 PM   #12
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee
Interesting to note that in their current four game winning streak the closest game was the one where Kobe took 30 shots. In the other three games he has taken 24 or fewer shots and the Lakers have won by double digits.

Very interesting indeed! I think he's finally starting to trust them more.
Also on that same note- Kobe's performance at Chicago last night while Jordan and Pippen watched.. both he and Lamar had terrific performances! Kobe getting close to a triple-double and scoring....... 23.

And I was all smiles to learn that over the summer while at a Nike meeting, Kobe took Jordan aside and really picked his brain. The zone defense rules have changed since Jordan was in the game (which made it easier for Jordan to dominate in isolation plays back then), but it's nice for a Kobe/Lakers fan to hear that he's really listening to Jordan, and Pippen is coaching Odom
Old 12-21-2005, 04:38 PM   #13
Slinky
Gilbert Arenas

Slinky is on a distinguished road

Dallas game, takes 31 shots and scores 62.

Obviously, sometimes he should take 30+ shoots. However, how he takes them is different. He is taking about 79% jumpshots compared to the other swingmen which takes about mid 60% jumpers.

Dallas game, he goes to the line and succeeds.

Other games, he takes 30 jumpers and misses 60% of it.

What Kobe needs to do is take smarter shots and drive more. And in the rare situation when his team is playing well, like the second T-Wolves game when the team hit 60% shoots, he should pass it more.
Slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 05:24 PM   #14
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinky
What Kobe needs to do is take smarter shots and drive more. And in the rare situation when his team is playing well, like the second T-Wolves game when the team hit 60% shoots, he should pass it more.
That is the crux of the issue right there. It is one thing to take 30 shots when you are hitting 60%, but quite another when you are only hitting 10-12 of those shots. Typically the latter seems to be the case and he is missing a lot of shots due to just settling for a jumper or forcing his offense through a double team. Hey, if you are shooting and getting to the line like Kobe was last night then keep flinging them up there as far as I am concerned.

Good to see you around Slinky I thought you had died or something. :lol:
Old 12-21-2005, 05:28 PM   #15
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

62 points!! a career-high for Kobe! :banana: