Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 12-12-2006, 01:21 AM   #1
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road
Default Best Rookie...

Young or Hester?

I'm thinking Devin...
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 03:07 AM   #2
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Well let's see how they both - Young especially - finish up the season; and I suppose Reggie Bush comes in third.

Houston really blew it picking Mario Williams.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 11:19 AM   #3
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Good point...especially since Hester might get in on OFFENSE the rest of the way.

What Young is doing is great and all, but Hester is out of this world.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:56 PM   #4
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

Did you forget about Marques Colston who led the NFL in receiving yards before being injured?
Old 12-12-2006, 01:18 PM   #5
ryan_day
Sports Enthusiast

ryan_day is on a distinguished road

Nobody's even mentioning Maurice Jones-Drew of the Jacksonville Jaguars.
ryan_day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 05:31 PM   #6
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama4256 View Post
Did you forget about Marques Colston who led the NFL in receiving yards before being injured?
No, but I do know that Devin Hester caught a field goal 8 yards deep, paused, strutted a little bit, and then took it to the house.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:32 PM   #7
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

I would mention DeMeco Ryans in the Rookie of the Year discussion too. He's leading the NFL in tackles at this point in the season.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 01:42 AM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I was going to mention Ryans as well. On top of leading the league in tackles he also has 3.5 sacks and 7 tackles for a loss.

I'll take Jones-Drew over Bush as the better rookie right now. He has more TDs and far fewer touches than Bush has and has on the whole has been a more explosive player.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 11:59 PM   #9
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

I'd have to say Reggie Bush. I know this may not be as popular as other choices, but look at the team he is on and their transformation from last year. You have to give some of that credit to Reggie.

By the way, I'm new to this message board and I look forward to chatting with all of you.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 01:24 AM   #10
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough

There are a lot of really good candidates this year.

I agree with Bush, Colston, Hester, Jones-Drew, Ryans, and Young. And nobody has mentioned Mark Anderson, A.J. Hawk, Matt Leinart, Marcus McNeill, or Kamerion Wimbley.

Anderson leads the Bears in sacks. It's not often you see a rookie hit double-digits with three games to go.

Bush is really coming on recently, so you'd probably judge him as better than his season-long performance, but he's over 1000 yards from scrimmage and has scored TDs on rushes, receptions, and a punt return.

Colston, the hands-down, no-question winner four weeks ago, has over 900 receiving yards despite missing two games and most of another.

Hester has pretty much clinched all-pro returner this year, with five kick-return TDs and a league-best 14.4 punt return average.

Hawk leads Green Bay in tackles, and he's been effective as a pass rusher (3.5 sacks) and in pass coverage (five deflections and an interception). He has one forced fumble and two fumble recoveries.

Jones-Drew leads all rookies in TDs, with 12. He's averaging 6.1 yards per carry, which is among the highest averages in NFL history. He's also a good receiver (2nd on the team in receptions) and his 27.6 kickoff return average is third in the league.

Leinart probably doesn't belong on this list, but he's been okay.

McNeill is the starting left tackle for the best offense in the league (San Diego).

Ryans has over 100 solo tackles according to NFL.com, with 3.5 sacks, 1 INT, 4 passes defensed, a forced fumble, and one fumble recovery. Statistically, he's pretty much the same as Hawk.

Wimbley has 7.5 sacks and 47 tackles from a pass-rushing position.

Young has a 65.7 passer rating, but he's 6-4 as starter and he looks better every week. He's a good runner, with 458 yards, 5 TDs, and a 6.6 average on the ground. He's created 26 first downs with his feet. And let's not forget that he pretty much has no other weapons in that offense.

===

Here's how I'd rank this season's top rookies:

1] Young
2] Colston
3] Bush
4] Jones-Drew
5] Hester
6] McNeill
7] Ryans
8] Anderson
9] Hawk
10] Wimbley

I may be projecting a bit with Young and Bush, who look like they have once-or-twice-in-a-generation potential. Hester's having a great season and he literally looked incredible on Monday night, but I just don't think a returner has the same impact as a regular on offense or defense. And apparently I'm biased against defense, but I just don't see any of those guys being as out-of-this-world dominant as the ballhandlers.
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 02:20 AM   #11
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Brad O.

Good analysis, couldn't have said it better myself.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 04:26 AM   #12
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Remember, on Let's Make A Deal, when that telltale piano-roll would play as the curtain was being opened, to signify an impending "zonk"?

Well that tune was playing in my head when the Texans drafted Mario Williams.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 06:18 AM   #13
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

If I had a vote I would vote Young just because he's a rookie QB. May sound dumb to some, and I'm not saying those others guys are NOT worthy of this.

Pretty cool when we take a step back and see all these rookies shining huh? This is only the beginning of MANY great careers!
Old 12-14-2006, 11:05 AM   #14
nojob67
Grizzled Veteran

nojob67 is on a distinguished road

I would vote Young but I'm surprised the leading rookie rusher, Joe Addai, is not being mentioned at all.

A note on Mark Anderson he is not even a regular starter on that Bears defense so his sack total is even more amazing.

This has got to be the best rookie class in quite awhile, I love it.
nojob67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 11:09 AM   #15
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Mike & Mike in the Morning today brought up a great point regarding the rookie O-linemen out there too.