Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 08-21-2007, 11:57 AM   #1
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough
Default My Take on the NFC East and North for the 2007 Season

NFC East
1.Dallas-QB Tony Romo should only get better. WR Terrell Owens will be Terrell Owens, but he will catch a lot of passes if healthy. I also like Terry Glenn even though he's a year older. They have a great tight end in Jason Witten. Had 64 catches in 2006. I like their running backs. Julius Jones rushed for over 1,000 yards and Barber III scored 14 TD's. Dallas's offense ranked fifth in the NFL in 2006. I like Pro Bowl OT Flozell Adams. I also like them acquiring OG Leonard Davis from Arizona. Dallas drafted a big offensive lineman in OT Doug Free(6-7-318) out of Northern Illinois.
Their defense was 13th overall, but 24th against the pass. Rookie DE Anthony Spencer of Purdue could help with his pass rushing. Bad news DE Marcus Spears and Chris Canty only combined for 59 tackles in 2006. But linebacker DeMarcus Ware has 104 tackles in two seasons plus 19.5 sacks. Not bad. 11.5 in 2006 most ever by a Dallas linebacker.

2.Philadelphia Eagles-AN healthy QB Donovan McNabb spells troubles for most defenses. WR Reggie Brown needs to improve on his 46 receptions from 2006. Philly acquired WR Kevin Curtis from St. Louis. Workhorse RB Brian Westbrook is back and just as dangerous, rushing for 1,217 yards and seven TD's in 2006 while catching 77 passes for 699 yards and four TD's. I like their selection of rookie RB Tony Hunt out of Penn St. I also like rookie QB Kevin Kolb out of Houston. Offense ranked second in NFL in 2006. 381.4 yards per game.
Offensive linemen Jon Runyan and William Thomas have started over 100 games together.
Philly has Javon Kearse and Darren Howard at DE's. LB Jerimah Trotter led defense with 112 tackles in 2006. DE Trent Cole had 8 sacks in 2006. CB Lito Sheppard had six INT's that year.
FGK David Akers is one of the best.

3.NY Giants-Head coach Tom Coughlin is defintely on the hot seat. QB Eli Manning needs to really step up this season, especially with Tiki Barber gone. Manning threw for 3,244 yards and 24 TD's in 2006. Had 18 INT's.
WR Plaxico Burress is a good solid receiver. Caught 63 REC in 2006 with 10 TD's. TE Jeremy Shockley is very talented. Had 66 receptions last season. I really like their selection of rookie WR Steve Smith out of USC. RB's Brandon Jacobs and Reuben Droughans will share the workload this season. Neither is close to being as good as Barber.
Offensive line is suspect on this team.
Defense had two Pro bowl lineman in 2006 with Michael Strahan and DE Osi Umenyiora. Both suffered injuries in 2006. Strahan is still a holdout this season. Selection of Rookie CB Aaron Ross out of Texas should help secondary. Pro Bowl LB Antonio Pierce had 137 tackles in 2006. Also rookie DT Jay Alford out of Penn St could help right away.
Defense finished 25th in the NFL in 2006 and the offense ranked 14th.

4.Washington Redskins-QB Jason Campbell must mature quickly to help this team in 2007. If he's doesn't get off to a good start look for Mark Brunell to be back in there. AN healthy RB Clinton Portis would help either QB. The team has talented WR's, but they really need to step up their game-talking about Santana Moss who had 55 receptions in 2006 and Randle El who had 32 REC's. TE Chris Cooley caught 57 receptions last season with six TD's.

NFC North
1.Detroit Lions-Yes I know I'm crazy, but I like this team in 2007. Great selection in WR Calvin Johnson from GT. Yes and I like QB Jon Kitna too. Threw for 4,208 yards in 2006, but threw 22 INT's while throwing for 21 TD's. But blame a lot on their offensive line. Hopefully they will be better this season.
WR Mike Furrey led the NFL in receptions with 98, but expect that to drop with Johnson in their too. I am also high on WR Roy Williams who caught 82 passes for 1,310 yards in 2006. Caught seven TD's. I believe Detroit has the best receivers in the game right now in overall talent. Don't forget Shaun McDonald(5th year out of Arizona St) either. Had great game this past weekend.
Acquiring RB Tatum Bell from Denver was a good idea. Kevin Jones may improve with Bell right under him. Bell rushed for 1025 yards in 2006. I also like T.J. Duckett. Injuries really hurt this offensive line in 2006. If all is healthy watch out. This team will be a scoring machine.
Defense ranked 28th in NFL last season. Not good. DT Shaun Rogers had four game suspension in 2006. DT Cory Redding is good at his position. They acquired DE DeWayne White from Tampa Bay to help. DE Kalimba Edwards must fulfill his potential. I like LB Boss Bailey at strongside. Ernie Sims led defense with 124 tackles. Hopefully rookie DE Ikaika Alama-Francis out of Hawaii can help improve the defense some with rookie safety Gerald Alexander out of Bosie St.
http://www.detroitlions.com/document...ment_id=459582

2.Chicago Bears-QB Rex Grossman still sucks. It's time for QB Brian Griese to take it. With a good QB their receivers who are very talented will only get better. Mushin Muhammad had 60 receptions in 2006. Bernard Berrian had 51. Picking rookie TE Greg Olsen was a good thing.
It's time for RB Cedric Benson to come out and just do it. Rushed for 647 yards in 2006. Rookie RB Garrett Wolfe out of Northern Illinois could see some playing time. Offense ranked 15th in 2006.
Chicago's offensive line is aging. Pro Bowl center Olin Kreutz is as good as they get.
LB Brian Urlacher another Pro Bowler had 141 tackles in 2006 and LB Lance Briggs had 130. DE Alex Brown and Adewale Ogundeye combined for 13.5 sacks in 2006. DE Mark Anderson second year out of Alabama had 12 sacks in 2006. Defense is solid. Ranked fifth in NFL last season.
FGK Robbie Gould is the best. Kick returner Devin Hester is just a monster. Could play some at WR.
Since week 6 of 2005 chicago has gone 23-5 during the regular season. Bears have won 22 straight games when leading at halftime.

3.Green Bay Packers-QB Brett Favre still playing at an high level. Threw for 3,885 yards and 18 TD's in 2006, but also threw 18 INT's. Aaron Rodgers patiently waits for his chance. WR Donald Driver can make any QB look good. Had 92 REC in 2006 with 1,295 Yards. RB Ahman Green is gone and now RB Vernand Morency takes over. Good luck bud. The Packers drafted rookie WR James Jones from SD St and David Clowney from VA Tech.
As for their offensive line OT Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher allowed only three sacks between them.
On defense DE Aaron Kampman of Iowa had 15.5 sacks in 2006. Led all lineman in the league with 89 tackles. Rookie DT Justin Harrell out of Tennessee could be a good one. CB Charles Woodson had eight INT's in 2006.

4.Minnesota Vikings-QB Tarvaris Jackson does not impress me one bit. Drew Henson doesn't either. I like them picking Rookie RB Adrian Peterson out of Oklahoma. Also rookie WR Sidney Rice from South Carolina. That's the good news. RB Chester Taylor rushed for 1,216 yards last season.
Offensive lineman LG Steve Hutchinson was a Pro Bowler in 2006. LT Byrant McKinnie is a good lineman. He's 6-8 335.
Defensive ends Kenechi Udeze and Darrion Scott are strong against the run. MLB E.J. Henderson had 109 tackles in 2006. CB Antoine Winfield and Cedric Griffin might be the NFL's most physical corners in the business. Rookie DE Brian Robinson out of Texas blocked six kicks during his career at Texas.

Will do the NFC South and West later this week. i know u can't wait. if I made any mistakes in names or stats please tell me. Thanks
Old 08-21-2007, 06:46 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Don't agree with the Lions pick obviously, but good write-up, bama. I do think the Vikings will probably end up fourth. The Packers have an emerging dominant defense, and if Favre can cut back on INTs further and find enough weapons, the Packers could be a wildcard team. I see the Giants, Cowboys, and Eagles battling it out; no dominant, clear-cut choice there.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:04 AM   #3
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Intriguing!

Awesome read - but as I have pointed out previously: What if a key player gets injured in one of these exhibition games (and I won't use the weasel term "preseason")?

And it's not just injuries you need to be concerned about; you mention Jeremiah Trotter in your Eagles write-up.

Well guess what? Trotter has been released!

Last edited by Anthony; 08-22-2007 at 12:10 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote