Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge > Politics & Religion

Old 08-22-2008, 10:15 AM   #91
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

When do they announce these VPs?

I've never really cared about the VP selections, but for some reason (I would guess my distrust of Obama) I think this is a big selection for Obama.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:18 AM   #92
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HibachiDG View Post
When do they announce these VPs?

I've never really cared about the VP selections, but for some reason (I would guess my distrust of Obama) I think this is a big selection for Obama.
Obama will announce today or tomorrow. McCain should be sometime next week.

Just wondering, what is about Obama that makes you distrust him?

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:42 AM   #93
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

The two main things, 1. He's going to compromise way too much, on way too many issues. I think Obama's notion of compromise is one that will keep him popular, rather than him thinking the compromise is right. 2. Think he's going to play those silly games like the Republicans/Karl Rove tend to do in elections.

Two things just this week on the second thing, the one comment from the Forum last Saturday about defining rich and then the houses thing. On the first, McCain said it as a joke and followed it up with saying it would be taken out of context. It took Obama two days to take it out of context. On the houses thing, I mean come on. This is not something to attack McCain on, but it's the kind of triviality that someone like Rove will tell a candidate to latch on to because it can get talked about quickly. The McCains have houses, some just as investments, his wife mainly deals with them, not knowing the amount has nothing to do with how in touch McCain is with the middle class.

Specifically on the VPs, of the three favored VP candidates, Biden, Bayh and Kaine. If Obama takes Biden, it'll help to alleviate some of my concerns, but if he takes Bayh, then he's just playing the middle again and trying to make others happen. Same with Kaine, but I know less about Kaine than Bayh to say it as definitively.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:51 AM   #94
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

I like Obama's willingness to compromise. It will be a welcomed attribute after this current president who has never heard the word compromise.

As for the political, Rove-like tactics... I see your point, but I think it's about time the Democrats started campaigning like Republicans. They've tried to "play fair" for too long, and they simply get "swift-boated" out of contention. Time to fight back.

I hope he picks Biden as well. I think he is the perfect choice.

Think Fresh.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:17 AM   #95
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

I'm not against the concept of compromise, I just don't trust Obama to compromise. Compromise is fine when you keep in mind what you want to accomplish, what you believe in. I don't think Obama is going to compromise in that way, though. I think he's going to have more an eye on what the polls say to compromise, rather than what he believes in. I think that's just going to lead to a lot of nothing happening.

"They've tried to "play fair" for too long, and they simply get "swift-boated" out of contention. Time to fight back."

Yeah, definitely true. I'm not saying it won't help him win the election. I'm just saying it annoys me.

I hope that a lot of what he's doing just to get elected stays with the election process. Just as time goes on, I feel less confident in that. He just strikes me as an ordinary politician.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:30 AM   #96
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
I hope that a lot of what he's doing just to get elected stays with the election process. Just as time goes on, I feel less confident in that. He just strikes me as an ordinary politician.
Yeah, but that's what we get with the system in place - ordinary politicians.

I do think Obama will do what he truly believes is best. He will compromise to get things done, but his core beliefs will remain at the forefront.

I can tell you this, if he is elected, the economy will improve. I suggest this book to anyone interested in politics, it proves that democratic policies are better for the economy than republican policies:

http://www.amazon.com/Unequal-Democr...9417850&sr=8-1

Think Fresh.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:41 AM   #97
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
but his core beliefs will remain at the forefront.
I mean, I hope so. I just don't know if I believe it at this point. Well, I guess I do believe it if his core beliefs are poll numbers.

And, a book that proves one side better than the other when it comes to the economy? The economy is probably the easiest thing to argue any side at any time on.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:55 AM   #98
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HibachiDG View Post
And, a book that proves one side better than the other when it comes to the economy? The economy is probably the easiest thing to argue any side at any time on.
Well, the book takes statistal data over the past 50 years. It takes the policies of republican presidents and democratic presidents and shows the direct implications of those policies.

It's almost impossible to argue that Republican presidents are better for the economy. The data is overwhelming.

Think Fresh.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:06 PM   #99
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

It is impossible to argue that Democratic congresses are good for the economy. The data is overwhelming.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:27 PM   #100
DETMURDS
Detroit Native!

DETMURDS has a little shameless behavior in the past

I think Obama will pick Biden.

I think he needs to pick Hillary though if he really wants to win. He might as well since he has flip-flopped on everything else.:lol::lol::lol:

Maybe he should pick someone near and dear to him,...William Ayers who lives up Obama's street, or his business partner,...Tony Rezko,..oh, he is in prison isn't he? He could always go to his God loving friend of over 20 years,...oh, he dis-owned Rev Wright.
DETMURDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 01:31 PM   #101
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Biden is the pick. This signals no change in Washington if this team is elected. Ho-hum.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 01:43 PM   #102
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Biden is the pick. This signals no change in Washington if this team is elected. Ho-hum.
Huh? I thought Biden was the VP, not the president.

You know, the VP doesn't have a lot of power in the American political system.

Obama is still the candidate.

Think Fresh.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:52 PM   #103
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

I would argue that Biden represents more change to the Presidency than Obama does, so this doesn't hurt the Change tagline from where I'm coming from on it.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:58 PM   #104
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

I think it's a poor choice for Obama. His chances of winning were next to nothing to begin with and Biden does nothing for him.

Richardson or Clinton would have been the best picks.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 02:01 PM   #105
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Biden will bring PA and MI solidly into Obama's corner. Winning those two states will be enough to put him over the top in electoral votes. Biden will help in Ohio as well.

Think Fresh.