Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge > Politics & Religion

Old 08-23-2008, 02:05 PM   #106
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
Biden will bring PA and MI solidly into Obama's corner. Winning those two states will be enough to put him over the top in electoral votes. Biden will help in Ohio as well.
Obama had PA and MI to begin with. Too many Confederates in Ohio CK. Another Yankee bean eater ain't gonna fix that. Needed a grit man to even smell a chance at the WH.

But we've discussed all this before and the avatar bet is set.

I'll do a state-by-state final prediction along with Ohio's counties and a few other statistical breakdowns a week or two before the election and ask for your opposing numbers.

Book smarts/TV/whatever the hell else young people do vs. experience...round #1...:thumbsup2:
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 02:10 PM   #107
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Obama had PA and MI to begin with. Too many Confederates in Ohio CK. Another Yankee bean eater ain't gonna fix that. Needed a grit man to even smell a chance at the WH.
Joe Biden is huge with the unions. He is also Catholic. He doesn't "come from money," and only recently became wealthy. He does very well with "blue collar" types.

Joe Biden will also be a terrific attack dog against McCain. And I guarantee he is more articulate, intelligent and charismatic that any VP McCain will choose.

Quote:
Book smarts/TV/whatever the hell else young people do vs. experience...round #1...

I will admit, I am less confident than the last time we had this discussion. I still think Obama will win, but I think he has about a 75% chance of winning, where before I thought it was a lock.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 02:17 PM   #108
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Joe Biden is huge with the unions. He is also Catholic. He doesn't "come from money," and only recently became wealthy. He does very well with "blue collar" types.

Joe Biden will also be a terrific attack dog against McCain. And I guarantee he is more articulate, intelligent and charismatic that any VP McCain will choose.

I will admit, I am less confident than the last time we had this discussion. I still think Obama will win, but I think he has about a 75% chance of winning, where before I thought it was a lock.
Being Catholic won't give him the bump that Clinton would have in Ohio...even if it does give SOME bump. He wasn't and isn't winning Ohio anyway.

Richardson could have locked New Mexico for him...one of the true swing states.

Biden's an East Coast guy. That just won't play with the over 40 Catholic women vote here in northeast Ohio/over to Toledo. You needed Clinton to bring those folks out to even have a shot to offset the folks south of Canton still waving the Confederate flag every morning before praying to Robert E. Lee.

Less confident now? So my prediction that the poll numbers would even out convinced ya eh?

Got cha...

(BIG GRIN)
Old 08-23-2008, 02:23 PM   #109
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Being Catholic won't give him the bump that Clinton would have in Ohio...even if it does give SOME bump. He wasn't and isn't winning Ohio anyway.
Obama 269 McCain 256 Ties 13

Strong Dem (134)
Weak Dem (126)
Barely Dem (9)
Exactly tied (13)
Barely GOP (80)
Weak GOP (45)
Strong GOP (131)

There are a lot of "weak" and "barely GOP" votes out there.

He has a very good chance in Ohio.

Quote:
Richardson could have locked New Mexico for him...one of the true swing states.
Richardson will be campaigning regularly in NM for Obama. That's a lock for Obama

Quote:
That just won't play with the over 40 Catholic women vote here in northeast Ohio/over to Toledo.
Wait until Hillary's speach at the convention, then watch the bump Obama receives. He will be leading in Ohio after the convention.

Quote:
those folks out to even have a shot to offset the folks south of Canton still waving the Confederate flag every morning before praying to Robert E. Lee.
Yep, "those folks" south of Canton... like me... Big Confederate flag guy here

Think Fresh.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:25 PM   #110
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

I think someone with a college degree made that map.

'Nuff said.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:27 PM   #111
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
I think someone with a college degree made that map.

'Nuff said.

Mr. Buck doesn't have a college degree?

Think Fresh.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:28 PM   #112
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Obama had PA and MI to begin with.
Even so, I think picking Biden he won't have to use up as many resources in PA especially. Be it TV, radio ads or appearances, those will reduce and he'll still carry these states, which would allow him more time in other states.

Clinton I agree would have been a good choice, I'm not so sure on Richardson. I don't think that any VP candidate would help him swing a state over to his direction, would be the main thing. But, I would have been alright with Richardson.

Biden's one of the few politicians I like, though, so I'm happy with the choice even if it's not the best thing electoral college wise.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 02:39 PM   #113
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:

Mr. Buck doesn't have a college degree?
Yeah, 2 of 'em.

Still have the cancelled checks to prove I bought 'em...err...I mean earned 'em.

Like I said CK, Dems can't win certain states unless you're a Confederate. Hell, even in years they went with a Yankee-Confederate combo they lost...

2004 Kerry (Yankee bean) Edwards (grits)
1988 Dukakis (Yankee bean) Bentsen (grits)

You need a Confederate PRESIDENTIAL nominee to even have a chance to win the WH post 1965 Civil Rights Act...if you're a Dem.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:45 AM   #114
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Fresh, not that I have a lot of stake here as I am not voting for either of the major party candidates, It appears that your bias has made you make a silly statement here. You said that there are a lot of weak and barely Republican votes there, and I agree. The fact is, however, that (according to your map and its figures) there are 135 weak or barely Democrat votes as opposed to 125 weak or barely Republican votes. Neither side has a lock in this election and neither impresses me very much. Neither will change the way things are done in Washington as all are either Washington insiders or wannabes.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 04:30 PM   #115
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Good point cat.

The major difference is the "barely" states. The "barely" states are basically toss ups. Only one of the Dem states is in that category, while the repubs have over 80 electoral votes that could switch to the Dems this year.

Think Fresh.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:04 AM   #116
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

With Hillary doing her best to scuttle the Obama campaign so she will have a chance to win in 2012, how does he hold onto his "weak" states?

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:50 PM   #117
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Just an update here. My electoral map from a few months ago...

State by state comparison here. The following are COMPLETE locks.

McCain

Alabama - 9
Alaska - 3
Arizona - 10
Arkansas - 6
Florida - 27
Georgia - 15
Idaho - 4
Indiana - 11
Kansas - 6
Kentucky - 8
Louisiana - 9
Mississippi - 6
Missouri - 11
Montana - 3
Nebraska - 5
Nevada - 5
North Carolina - 15
North Dakota - 3
Ohio - 20
Oklahoma - 7
South Carolina - 8
South Dakota - 3
Tennessee - 11
Texas - 34
Utah - 5
Virginia - 13
West Virginia - 5
Wyoming - 3

Obama

California - 55
Connecticut - 7
D.C. - 3
Hawaii - 4
Illinois - 21
Maine - 4
Maryland - 10
Massachusetts - 12
Michigan -17
Minnesota - 10
New Jersey - 15
New York - 31
Oregon - 7
Pennsylvania - 21
Rhode Island - 4
Vermont - 3
Washington - 11

Battleground

Colorado - 9
Delaware - 3
Iowa - 7
New Hampshire - 4
New Mexico 5
Wisconsin - 10

New info on the polling coming out of the battlegrounds...

Colorado - Still too close to call even after convention
Delaware - looks to be OBAMA
Iowa - Obama with 9 point lead
New Hampshire - Still too close to call
New Mexico - Obama with a 4-5 point lead
Wisconsin - Obama with a 7 point lead

Have to say, the leads in Wisconsin, New Mexico and Iowa look to be locks for Obama. Delaware seems to be his as well. I'm still not calling them official locks but if he can hold there...

McCain 265

Obama 235 (Delaware 3, Iowa 7, New Mexico 5, Wisconsin 10) = new total of 260

Colorado and New Hampshire decide the election.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:08 PM   #118
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

LOCKS?

FLorida? Where McCain leads by 1 point?

Nevada? Where OBAMA leads by 3 points?

North Dakato? Where OBAMA leads by 3 points?

Ohio? Where Obama leads by 2 points?

Virginia? Which is a dead-heat, tied?

Sorry buck, but you can't call a state a "lock" when McCain is trailing, or his lead is within the margin of error.

At least 2 of your locks will go to Obama.

Even if your "locks" are correct...

NH has gone Democrat every election since 1992. Obama is currently leading, and they don't have the % of racists that are common in other "swing states." NH is a virtual lock.

Colorado is a lock as well. With the convention, the Obama campaign set up an army of organization. To get into his speech, you had to committ to campaigning for him. That's 70K + foot soldiers stationed in CO already, and he hasn't even broken the piggy bank yet.

You are also forgetting that Obama has raised more than twice the amount of money than McCain.

Wait until the commercials come out in full force.

I can't wait to see that avatar above your name

Think Fresh.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:45 PM   #119
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

I tried throwin ya a bone here CK.

I'd be concerned about Colorado. His numbers have him neck and neck after the convention. One would think if he was going to pull ahead it would have been right after that.

My locks are based on my facts, not your polls. We'll see which is more accurate.

:thumbup:
Old 09-05-2008, 05:40 PM   #120
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
With the convention, the Obama campaign set up an army of organization. To get into his speech, you had to committ to campaigning for him. That's 70K + foot soldiers stationed in CO already, and he hasn't even broken the piggy bank yet.

You are also forgetting that Obama has raised more than twice the amount of money than McCain.

Wait until the commercials come out in full force.
Which of course must translate to being the better candidate...

Once again, the Almighty Dollar rears it's ugly head in what's supposed to be a message to the people with a balanced take on each candidate's views.

I can see why some believe Obama has an edge in the arena of buying votes using the same smear tactics/misdirection ploys that is the staple of American Politics & Propaganda while McCain will run out of money to keep pace.

This is just about the competition between the upper crust as they vie for a better position, not about the people.