Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge > Politics & Religion

Old 08-26-2008, 10:51 PM   #106
The Irish
Mr. Cellophane

The Irish is on a distinguished road

cat, I know what side of the fence I'm gonna land on when the rapture comes, and why I will land there, and I am okay with that. Do you?

They say the best weapon is one you never have to fire. I, respectfully, disagree. I say the best weapon is one you only have to fire once! That's how dad did it, that's how America does it, and it's worked out pretty well so far. - Tony Stark

Last edited by The Irish; 08-26-2008 at 11:06 PM.
The Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:37 AM   #107
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

I also know where I'll be. Don't be concerned. My spot is secure.
Explaining faith to one without it is like trying to explain color to one who has been blind since birth.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 01:26 PM   #108
Montrovant
Hatecarver

Montrovant is on a distinguished road

CK, what catman is talking about is that you quoted and answered Ricky's question, but addressed the post to me
Montrovant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 01:31 PM   #109
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrovant View Post
CK, what catman is talking about is that you quoted and answered Ricky's question, but addressed the post to me
Oh.... WHOOPS :lol:

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:50 PM   #110
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post

What if I believe that religion is destructive, and preventing our world from moving to an age of reason?

Religion has been protected from any criticism for too long... As soon as someone criticizes religion, those folks play the "faith" card... "You can't question faith."

Well, a large group of rationalists and humanists have decided that religion is fair game. Just like any other theory, it should be scrutinized thoroughly.

We do ourselves a disservice to give religion a free pass.
Religion isn't a theory in the sense of any others which are "fair game" for criticism. Relgion, which is based on faith and belief, not fact and logic, cannot for that very reason sensibly be criticized with logic. Doing so makes you look rude, arrogant, and silly.

You can believe whatever you want about the advantages and disadvantages of religion. I don't have a problem with your point of view; my problem is with your attitude and the way you express it.

Moreover, your expectation that everyone change their most deeply held principles of faith so that you can live in the world you think best seems a little unreasonable.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:07 PM   #111
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard the Lionheart View Post
Religion isn't a theory in the sense of any others which are "fair game" for criticism. Relgion, which is based on faith and belief, not fact and logic, cannot for that very reason sensibly be criticized with logic. Doing so makes you look rude, arrogant, and silly.

You can believe whatever you want about the advantages and disadvantages of religion. I don't have a problem with your point of view; my problem is with your attitude and the way you express it.

Moreover, your expectation that everyone change their most deeply held principles of faith so that you can live in the world you think best seems a little unreasonable.
Religion is an illusion that the masses need, because it gives meaning to their lives and gives them away around facing the cold realities of life.

I try and use the word masses sparingly because I am not even close to being at the top of the bell curve, but rather than facing the bleak realities of life-- even from just an agnostic point of view-- it's much easier to just condition yourself (or have your parents or others condition you) into believing that life is worth living, you will live after you die, some great, deterministic god is on your side, etc.

Maybe God and J.C. are chilling in heaven, but there's no epistemological way to back it. But, then again, there's no epistemological way to prove that your hand exists either...
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 03:11 PM   #112
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

As I said, you can believe whatever you want and I will never have a problem with it. I just don't like the condesension I always hear in these discussions. And I think your last sentence is the whole point.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:06 AM   #113
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I disagree.

Are you saying that anything based on faith cannot be criticized?

We live in a world where "faith" makes people fly planes into buildings.

Ridiculous beliefs should be called out as such, regardless if they are faith or not.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:17 AM   #114
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

The problem with this is that religion has often been inserted into the methods in which government and science are designed to govern/advance.

At this juncture, religion becomes a liability in advancing the "religion" of others...which may be science and government.

There's no way you don't know or get this Ricky. You've proven to read/know too much about history. So ya ain't off the hook...

buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote