Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2001, 10:00 PM   #46
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I hope you're right, Nick. But what is up with the D-Backs players bumping into each other all around the field in Game 3? That's just absurd - one time, okay, but like three? Please!
Old 11-01-2001, 01:45 AM   #47
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Yankees Magic Continues

The Yankees did it again. It must be rigged. First Tino Martinez hitting a homerun in the ninth with two outs, then Derek Jeter in the 10th.

Brenly made the biggest mistake in baseball history. If he was willing to use Schilling on thre days rest, it was foolish to pull him even with a two run lead. History tells you two runs aren't enough against the Yankees anytime.

If Schilling went nine innings and had to pitch in the seventh game. That would be fine. The seventh game wouldn't be until Sunday. Giving him another three day's rest. He has all year to rest his arm. Believe me Schilling could have handled it. He's proven that all season long hasn't he? Think about his mistake before u respond please.:redhot:
Old 11-01-2001, 08:02 AM   #48
Nate
Sports Virtuoso

Nate is on a distinguished road

I agree with you, Keith. Brenly pulled Schilling too early. There was no need to pull him when he did. And because of that, Kim (I think that was Arizona's reliever) gave up 3 runs in just a few innings, giving up the win to the Yanks.

They always seem to win, right as they are about to get beaten. Oakland, now it looks like Arizona! Man! I'm so sick of it! :redhot:

Go Colts! Go Boilers! Go Pacers! [[email protected]nspencer]
Old 11-01-2001, 06:30 PM   #49
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Yankees Magic Continues

Another day, another correct prediction.

Take the Yankees again in Game 5. I think we'll see a different Mike Mussina than in Game One, especially with the home crowd.

I think Brenly made the correct decision in Game Four in pulling Schilling, but it was dumb to leave Kim in for more than once around the order... I was thinking that Kim was invincible... those arm angles were incredible... Brenly said he tried to hit off of him and couldn't pick up the ball for the first 25 feet!! ... but once the Yankee batters had seen him once, they could pick him up better the second time around.

...and Rivera... well, he did his thing... AGAIN!

I was watching Game Four with my dad and told him "Martinez is going to homer on the second pitch." I was close; he did it on the first pitch! ....and then my fav player, Derek Jeter... well, he did his thing... ALWAYS comes through when you need him to...

Yanks take Game Five in a landslide, methinks.
Old 11-01-2001, 07:50 PM   #50
NickHammy
Sports Virtuoso

NickHammy is on a distinguished road

They should have let Schilling pitch AT LEAST 8 innings! But not too much you can do now....Yankees will take game 5 and send it back to the desert with crazy momentum
Old 11-01-2001, 10:07 PM   #51
Marc
Administrator

They should have kept Schilling in as long as possible, rather than trying to save him for later on - what are they thinking? If you think like that, you'll be sitting at home as the other team celebrates. They need a win *now* and if it means wearing out Schilling, then so be it. At least he wouldn't have given up a HR.
Old 11-01-2001, 10:57 PM   #52
Spike
N.B.A. Moderator

Spike is on a distinguished road
Default Game 5 and Re: Game 4

I was going to disagree with you bama till I went and looked up Curt Schilling's pitch count for the game and it said he only made 86 pitches last night. Good idea there, bama and thumbs down to Brenly from me too.

Anyways, Batista is sure pitching well tonight. It's 2 to 0 in the Top of the 5th inning, Diamondbacks as I post this. Just like Anderson in Game 3. There seemed to be some thinking that the Diamondbacks' starters other than Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling would get rolled in Yankee Stadium but so far Brian Anderson and Miguel Batista have held their own. Props to them. Hopefully the bullpen can hold the lead this time.
Old 11-02-2001, 09:33 AM   #53
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Default Re: Game 5 and Re: Game 4

Well, I think I have to disagree with you all. Sure, he only had 86 pitches, but you all forget that he starting to "hang" his pitches and gave up a few hits in the inning before he was pulled.... perhaps Brenly saw trouble and wanted to play it safe?

Also, I wanted to bring this up.... they've mentioned this stat a few times over the past two games, so I wanted to bring it up so everyone is aware of it.

Quote:
Originally posted by bama4256
History tells you two runs aren't enough against the Yankees anytime.
In the season, no. In the playoffs, 2 runs generally is enough when going into the 9th. They said on the broadcast that before Game Three, only TWO teams in WS play (in 1911 and 1929 -- forget the teams, but those are the years) have come from behind down 2 runs or more going into the 9th inning to win the game. And, only ONCE has a team come down from 2 runs in the bottom of the 9th inning to win the game in the same playoff year (LDS, LCS, & WS combined). BUT, the 2001 New York Yankees did it twice in a ROW, in Game Four and Game Five!!!!!!!!!.... so unless you're playing the 01|NYY, 2 runs should always be enough in a WS or playoff game... but the Yanks are no regular team!

Quote:
Originally posted by Spike
Anyways, Batista is sure pitching well tonight. It's 2 to 0 in the Top of the 5th inning, Diamondbacks as I post this. Just like Anderson in Game 3. .....Hopefully the bullpen can hold the lead this time.
Naaada!!! Yanks take the fifth game and keep the home streak alive; the home team has now won every game thus far in this WS. That game last night was just.... amazing. I mean, I mentioned that stat above, and who would have thought that the same team could do come down from 2 runs in the 9th inning (not to mention TWO outs in BOTH games!) not even twice in a year, but in the same series!??? Brosious (still can't spell that guy's name) knew it was gone as soon as he hit it... Torre looked like a genius putting Knoblauch in for Justice who was being booed by his own fans, and Soriano got the game winning RBI. I was just sitting on the couch laughing at the TV... it's amazing how they always come back. Down 2-0, the Yanks go back to the desert leading 3-2.

That said.......... Arizona will win Game Six on Saturday night, we're going to a Game Seven.
Old 11-02-2001, 11:32 AM   #54
Nate
Sports Virtuoso

Nate is on a distinguished road

How do the Yankees do that?! Wednesday, they became the first team in something like 80 years to win a WS game after trailing by 2 in the bottom of the 9th. Amazing in its self, except for the fact that they did it AGAIN LAST NIGHT! WOW! Simply amazing, as much as I hate to admit it. Somebody shoot me before I become a Yankees fan...

Go Colts! Go Boilers! Go Pacers! [[email protected]nspencer]
Old 11-02-2001, 01:17 PM   #55
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Nate, its called poise and professionalism. I'm not now, nor have I been a Yankee fan since 1960. That having been said, I respect them. They make all the plays and there is a reason why they continually make it to the WS, and win it. They may not have the best individuals at every position (I can name 3 better 3Bs in the AL than Brosius), but they don't beat themselves very often. A lot of that can be attributed to Torre. He is a truly professional guy and Steinbrenner would be a fool to let him get away.
I may not be a Yankee fan, but I am a Torre fan.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
Old 11-02-2001, 06:36 PM   #56
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by Nate
Wednesday, they became the first team in something like 80 years to win a WS game after trailing by 2 in the bottom of the 9th. Amazing in its self, except for the fact that they did it AGAIN LAST NIGHT
Nate, yeesh!!!! Brush up on your history!! -- it was only 72 years since it happened before Game Four!!!!!!

:lol: :lol:
Old 11-02-2001, 08:46 PM   #57
NickHammy
Sports Virtuoso

NickHammy is on a distinguished road

Ugh....lucky Yankees. If Johnson doesn't go at least 8 innings, Yankees win.....If he goes all nine D'Backs win hands down.
Old 11-02-2001, 10:06 PM   #58
Marc
Administrator

Well, this one's in the books. I just can't see the D-Backs beating the Yanks two games straight right now. Arizona will be lucky to win Game 6.
Old 11-03-2001, 03:54 AM   #59
Spike
N.B.A. Moderator

Spike is on a distinguished road

Watching the game last night, I was thinking to myself, "Again?! Unfreaking believable!".

I kind of wanted to :whine:. Hehe.

You know what I wonder. Actually, I have a question. I didn't really follow Baseball that closely during the regular season but didn't the Arizona Diamondbacks have or used to have Matt Mantei? I remember they traded for him back in 1999 I think it was and it helped them win the National League West that year. I think the Yankees would have lost this series by now if Arizona had Mantei. Because then Byung-Hyun Kim could be the setup guy and pitch the 8th inning and Mantei could close it out in the 9th inning in Game 4 for instance. Remember, Kim struck out the side in the 8th inning of that game. I know it might be kind of hard to remember that because the Yankees keep on pulling out miracle after miracle here.

Or maybe they should have traded for a closer at the trading deadline instead of getting Albie Lopez which wasn't much.

As for Game 6, if I'm Brenly this is what I tell Randy Johnson about the limit on his pitch count for that game. "It's 200. I wouldn't even think of taking you out unless you've passed the 200 pitch count." Hehe.

Another question, would you put Kim out there in a close game for Game 6 or if there's a Game 7? I just watched the local sportscast here and they had Brenly saying today that yeah basically he'll go back to Kim in a similar situation for the next game. To be honest, I don't know if I would have the guts to do that. I couldn't help but notice that Mike Morgan pitched 2 1/3 innings of shutout, no hit ball last night. Maybe I would have him close out tomorrow's game if Randy Johnson somehow can't finish it. Tomorrow should be another close game because Andy Pettitte pitched well in Game 2 except for the mistake to Matt Williams.

As for Game 7, I was thinking the Diamondbacks aren't in that bad of a shape if you think that the Yankees still haven't won here at Arizona. But after hearing the rumors that either Curt Schilling won't start Game 7 or only be able to pitch to 4 or 5 innings, I think I'm going to have to agree with Marc and go with theYankees to win the series.

I also wanted to say, another thing that's overlooked, is give straight "A's" to the Diamondbacks' starters this series. Not just Johnson and Schilling but Brian Anderson and Miguel Batista have given Brenly everything he could have hoped for and maybe even more. Batista's stuff was just awesome last night. He had very sharp breaks on some of those pitches.
Old 11-03-2001, 11:04 AM   #60
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
As for Game 7, I was thinking the Diamondbacks aren't in that bad of a shape if you think that the Yankees still haven't won here at Arizona. But after hearing the rumors that either Curt Schilling won't start Game 7 or only be able to pitch to 4 or 5 innings, I think I'm going to have to agree with Marc and go with theYankees to win the series.
Actually, you're agreeing with ME... why do people always give up on their teams in the middle of a series!? If you predict 'Zona to win, stick with them!! But if you're like me and predict the Yankees to win, stick with the Yankees even if they're down 2-0!!!!!! My original prediction on April 1 and at the start of the playoffs stated that the Yankees would win the 2001 World Series, and although I origianlly said it would be in 6 games, I'm switchin' it to a 7-game WS victory, but still for the Yanks.

Arizona should definitely win tonight... if not, I guess my original prediction of the "Yanks in 6" was correct, but Johnson is seemingly unhittable and will probably play all 9 innings.

Quote:
I have a question. I didn't really follow Baseball that closely during the regular season but didn't the Arizona Diamondbacks have or used to have Matt Mantei? I remember they traded for him back in 1999 I think it was and it helped them win the National League West that year. I think the Yankees would have lost this series by now if Arizona had Mantei.
Well, I looked it up for you, and according to MLB.com, Mantei is on Arizona, but he only played 8 games this regular season.... I was reading up on him, & he had injury trouble last year, so . . . .
Closed Thread